Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

E

easy_tiger

Hope he wins the Norm Smith

so they can go

"and the winner is .............. Sydney"

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
To me we are using the system perfectly to have a very close look at a talented young bloke who hasn’t proved he can live the AFL style of life.

There’s also been the od white fella who has had talent who couldn’t adjust to the lifestyle of an AFL player, been a few on the Tiges list over the past few years, Gilmour, Macdonald, Zantuck, Limbach are just a few of the top of my head. Too often I reckon we expect way too much maturity from 18 year old lads

Rod

Tiger Superstar
Aug 3, 2003
Bruswick West
Mr Brightside said:
There’s also been the od white fella who has had talent who couldn’t adjust to the lifestyle of an AFL player, been a few on the Tiges list over the past few years, Gilmour, Macdonald, Zantuck, Limbach are just a few of the top of my head. Too often I reckon we expect way too much maturity from 18 year old lads

Daniel Connors too

E

easy_tiger

Mr Brightside said:
To me we are using the system perfectly to have a very close look at a talented young bloke who hasn’t proved he can live the AFL style of life.

totally agree.

I couldn't understand why we didn't give Dale? Garlett a crack.

Obviously is would have failed, but for me a couple of rookie spots should be allocated high risk, high return.

whereas often, they seem to be high risk, low return

A football list should be like a diversified superannuation port folio (not that I have one of them)

Mrs.Hardwick and Issy are probably out shopping for a Brownlow dress right now.

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
From what i have read maybe they shud have gone with Mick Gibbons. Sounds like a pretty good midfielder and is Victorian too. Perhaps another Lamby

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
percyms said:
From what i have read maybe they shud have gone with Mick Gibbons. Sounds like a pretty good midfielder and is Victorian too. Perhaps another Lamby

mitch grigg another name too
gibbons and grigg would give us incredible depth

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
TheCan said:
mitch grigg another name too
gibbons and grigg would give us incredible depth
both good solid players but they would help our VFL side & thats it, not quick enough or enough tricks for AFL

For every Lambo there is 10 Adams Marcon's

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
easy said:
totally agree.

I couldn't understand why we didn't give Dale? Garlett a crack.

Obviously is would have failed, but for me a couple of rookie spots should be allocated high risk, high return.

whereas often, they seem to be high risk, low return

A football list should be like a diversified superannuation port folio (not that I have one of them)

Mrs.Hardwick and Issy are probably out shopping for a Brownlow dress right now.

And a new ice cream scoop for the extra scoop for Syd for scoring 4 in a Preliminary Final.
I couldn’t be happier with our club taking the punt and for Hardwick in opening up his home to a young man who probably has never enjoyed things we take for granted.
Proud of our club and more respect for Dimma.

E

easy_tiger

Dont Argue said:
And a new ice cream scoop for the extra scoop for Syd for scoring 4 in a Preliminary Final.
I couldn’t be happier with our club taking the punt and for Hardwick in opening up his home to a young man who probably has never enjoyed things we take for granted.
Proud of our club and more respect for Dimma.

:fing32

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Mr Brightside said:

Nice mr B

E

easy_tiger

The Big Richo said:
I'm not sure going back to the 80s is all that relevant to the Hardwick era.

Let's look at his time:

Shane Edwards
Alroy Gilligan
Richard Tambling
Troy Taylor
Relton Roberts
Gibson Turner
Nathan Drummond
Chris Yarran
Daniel Rioli
Tyson Stengle
Shai Bolton
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

It's not great, but is trending the right way.

fair enough BR.

but that's still 12% of all indigenous draftees becoming premiership stars, possibly going beyond 25% if $hai comes on.

Quickly doing a white fella success rate, say dimmer has bought in 70 of 'em, and 10 of them have turned into premiership stars? (we'll discount bit players, big fish and blokes largely developed elsewhere prior to premiership glory)

that's about 14% of white fellas become premiership stars.

so, using beer coaster maths, there parity there between white fellas and black fellas success rate under dimma,

which is quite extraordinarily good I reckon.

I can fully see why we'd think its more miss than hit, because our expectations are always very high and our disappointment bitter with black fellas and footy

But I think its not that hard to support a case with data, that we do it very well.

E

easy_tiger

The Big Richo said:
And then the x-factor with someone like Stack is the need to turn around some unprofessional behaviour.

Very hard to do but we've never been in a better position to try.

yep

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009
bullus_hit said:
English also AA, not really A grade quality but you never know. Stack at 177cm with poor endurance is up against it, have no idea how much improvement is left but he's in the bottom 15% for aerobic capacity. I suppose it's only a rookie pick & is clearly better than Aarts.

Just a thought but maybe have some faith in the club who would have watched every single game he's played for the last two years at a minimum an actually sat down with him to understand his circumstances as to why he maybe his fitness base is so low.

Rockliff couldn't finish the 3km time trial at the combine. He was in tears when he crossed the finish line. Yarran was another who was last to cross the finish line in his year and both those guys have managed to play elite level AFL footy.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
So SS will head over for a couple of weeks , stay with Dimma, then head back to WA for Xmas, then return for approximately 8 weeks before we would have to make a decision on him, what a perfect trial

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
FistFullOfDollars said:
Just a thought but maybe have some faith in the club who would have watched every single game he's played for the last two years at a minimum an actually sat down with him to understand his circumstances as to why he maybe his fitness base is so low.

Rockliff couldn't finish the 3km time trial at the combine. He was in tears when he crossed the finish line. Yarran was another who was last to cross the finish line in his year and both those guys have managed to play elite level AFL footy.

Fair enough, Betts another. Can't knock the club for doing such a thorough due diligence, it's only a rookie pick in any case.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
easy said:
Maurice Rioli, Phil Egan, Michael Mitchell, Shane Edwards, Danny Rioli

5 stars off the top of my head in 35 years.

again, off the top of my head, that's probably about 0.5% of ALL players who have played for us, turn out indigenous stars.

I'm pretty sure if we worked out what proportion of indigenous players who have played for us in that period who have turned into stars,

it would be a double figure %

I'd say, off the top of my head, our record with indigenous boys is outstanding.

I reckon SS is a absolute ripper pick up.
pretty silly stat when you consider the senior indigenous players and coaches and the resources we have in place now including the Korin Gamadji institute only extend back a few years not 30 ::)