Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Possibly, but at the same time there's plenty of players who start their careers like a house on fire and then regress back to the mean. Maybe Stack is just one of those. I get the sense that this is one of the rare occasions fans / PRE are focusing a little too much on the good and not enough on the bad with him.
Focussing too much on the good?
You probably need to go back and revisit past posts:ROFLMAO:

Why aren't people fighting over Dow or Collier Dawkins?
Both picked under 20.
One had 7 touches and the other 11 last night.
At least stack was a pre season selection.
What's going on with Dow was tracking nicely in the seniors before he got that injury.

Or, you stop persisting with the Aarts types on a wing and shift a running back with talent there. It worked with Short. Has Daniel been reprogrammed sufficiently to be elite wing rather than his previous role there of outlet blocker?
Space could be made by playing Baker at half forward with Syd and Ralphsmith and Dan taking the small forwards.

Pleased to see Clarke get an opportunity though.

Baker will again finish top 5 in the JDM.
With all the skills to do a job George doesn’t have.
Syd should be freed up from that mess they have made at vfl level.
Hope Judy has a blinder but would also love to see Syd get a chance.

Maybe if they played him in his correct position you would see better. When will the coaches stop playing them out of position trying to turn them into something they aren't? Seems to me the only position changes they haven't tried is Prestia contesting a centre hit out and Soldo on a wing
Do you think the Stackman came to us a backman?

On Stack the defender.

There’s a fair correlation between Stack playing in defense and us leaking goals like a sieve. He might look good but I suspect he is more interested in chasing kicks than doing the team things like guarding space or doing the hard, unrewarded running required of our defenders.

Focussing too much on the good?
You probably need to go back and revisit past posts:ROFLMAO:

What I mean is a lot of people are focusing on half a season 4 years ago as almost a lament as to why he's not playing rather than 3 subsequent years of poor form and off field indiscretions. The club has done more than enough, if he doesn't make it, it's on him for not being good enough like any other player on the fringe.

Reactions: 3 users
What I mean is a lot of people are focusing on half a season 4 years ago as almost a lament as to why he's not playing rather than 3 subsequent years of poor form and off field indiscretions. The club has done more than enough, if he doesn't make it, it's on him for not being good enough like any other player on the fringe.
half a season? he played 17 games in 2019, brought in when we were severely undermanned in rd 3. he played well from the start, and in his 2nd last game had 20 disposals and kicked a goal. he was good for pretty much the whole season. i would say he was forced out by the strength of our team, rather than poor form.
2020 was a write off for him.
he then ended 2021 in decent form averaging over 20 disposals the last 4 weeks.

he struggled last night. the game before he had 17 disposals, the week that before he had 15 and kicked 3 goals.
before his promotion against the WEagles he had kicked 7 goals in 4 games and averaged about 15 disposals.

i reckon you are overplaying "poor form" a bit there.

Stack has come from so far back, and entered the AFL system in the toughest years imaginable for a kid. yes he has clearly made mistakes, and he lacks the off field footballing maturity to give himself the highest possible chance, but that is not surprising considering his teen age years.

unless his attitude really does suck, i dont see him being delisted soon.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Space could be made by playing Baker at half forward with Syd and Ralphsmith and Dan taking the small forwards.

Pleased to see Clarke get an opportunity though.

Baker will again finish top 5 in the JDM.
With all the skills to do a job George doesn’t have.
Syd should be freed up from that mess they have made at vfl level.
Hope Judy has a blinder but would also love to see Syd get a chance.
Baker is a much better defender than forward. He's too slow to apply pressure forward, which was obvious as soon as MoJu took his place.

Reactions: 4 users
half a season? he played 17 games in 2019, brought in when we were severely undermanned in rd 3. he played well from the start, and in his 2nd last game had 20 disposals and kicked a goal. he was good for pretty much the whole season. i would say he was forced out by the strength of our team, rather than poor form.

he struggled last night. the game before he had 17 disposals, the week that before he had 15 and kicked 3 goals.
before his promotion against the WEagles he had kicked 7 goals in 4 games and averaged about 15 disposals.

Stack has come from so far back, and entered the AFL system in the toughest years imaginable for a kid. yes he has clearly made mistakes, and he lacks the off field footballing maturity to give himself the highest possible chance, but that is not surprising considering his teen age years.

And how did he capitalise on getting back into the side at the end of last year? By once again starting the preseason unfit.

Regarding his VFL form, you're kind of proving my point. Maybe that's just more of his level. Particularly seeing as he keeps getting overlooked.

From memory he was oddly moved forward after playing very well down back. He then did pretty well but then his form tapered before getting dropped. I think he did his ankle in the twos and we tried to get him up for the VFL grand final but he didn't make it. THe move forward may have actually been the beginning of the end (albeit a long way out).

From memory he was oddly moved forward after playing very well down back. He then did pretty well but then his form tapered before getting dropped. I think he did his ankle in the twos and we tried to get him up for the VFL grand final but he didn't make it. THe move forward may have actually been the beginning of the end (albeit a long way out).

One of his first games forward he kicked 4 goals against St Kilda.

Tend to agree with St KB on this. He had one good season - IIRC when he was debu-ted Dimma said his training and physical numbers in the VFL had been really good. Why hasn't he got back there in the three subsequent seasons? Yeah yeah yeah excuses for the previous seasons but what's the problem this season? He was young and raw in 2019 and got there.

Clearly he plays better at half back - OK, but we have others who are better right now in those roles.

after his move forward he kept getting good numbers. he then got injured in rd 19 against the pies and missed rd 20. he came back against the blues in rd 21 and struggled and was dropped, then hurt his ankle the following week in the VFL.
he was dropped for Dusty to return.
This was the team (Ross was 2019 Ross- a young star). I reckon he was pushed out by our strength rather than poor form.
B: Astbury, Broad, Grimes
HB: Houli, Vlastuin, Short
C: Ellis, Prestia, Caddy
HF: Rioli, Castagna, Lambert
F: Graham, Lynch, Riewoldt
FOLL: Soldo, Edwards, Martin
I/C: Ross, Bolton, Baker, Chol

Reactions: 1 user
And yet you sit like a crow on a power line with your mate Stig, constantly pecking at him and anyone who wishes to install some positivity into the conversation about the kid.
You don’t want him to fail? Faaaaaaaaaaaaark Off
LOL you really need to watch him more clearly without your stack glasses

Sydney Stack is no where near the player he was in his 1st year and the reasons for it are as clear as the nose on your face
Just does not work hard enough on and off the field and is only a part time footballer in the off season.

Lucky boy to still be on a list

Why aren't people fighting over Dow or Collier Dawkins?
Both picked under 20.
One had 7 touches and the other 11 last night.
At least stack was a pre season selection.
Because most people can see they re not upto it and accept what might be , Then with stack we have some fan boys who are backing him unconditionally and making excuses for even his poor efforts in the VFL.

Player with Stackmans talents should be absolutely dominating any position he is played in the VFL

Reactions: 1 user
LOL you really need to watch him more clearly without your stack glasses

Sydney Stack is no where near the player he was in his 1st year and the reasons for it are as clear as the nose on your face
Just does not work hard enough on and off the field and is only a part time footballer in the off season.

Lucky boy to still be on a list
What I do know is that the concept of confidence, form, or being settled and in a strong mental space are too complex for some people to comprehend.
They like to keep it simple. He’s lazy, not trying, or doesn’t have enough talent are their go to thought processes. Enables them to keep everything in a tidy box.
I’m just thankful that those people aren’t coaching or in player development roles at the club.

Reactions: 2 users