Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Stacky hasn’t been the same player since the 2020 covid year and kebabjab with Coleman- Jones who has been ordinary since then too.
He doesn’t seem to have the desire that he had in his first year and has looked overweight ( for him) for the past two seasons.
His spurning from being drafted in 2018 draft pissed him off and lit the fire within him and also wedged a nice big chip on his shoulder.

One that gave him the motivation to prove all and sundry wrong.

It drove him all the way to starring in Marquee fixtures on Anzac against the Dees and Dreamtime.

He became a top liner in the space of half a season at a Premier club and sadly I think he was sated in the knowledge that he had proved himself.

Well people are starting to write you off again Stackie!! How bout you show us all you have what it takes still.

2019 Stack in this team right now would make a massive difference.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
how long should that take?
If it takes all season, well let's do it.
We don't want to win the vfl flag.
But we do want to find the best out of Stack.
Play him mid every vfl game.
Let him run out of puff in the 3rd. Until he doesn't.

As Duere,ere says - lets work on his weakness of getting ground ball in amongst it all

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

As Duere,ere says - lets work on his weakness of getting ground ball in amongst it all
That's another option. A good one.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
was he rubbish last game when he had 17 disposals, or the week before that when he kicked 3 goals?
he isnt knocking down the door for selection, but i reckon his "poor form" in the VFL is being over stated.
17 disposals in the vfl for a afl listed player after 4 years and the talent he has

Yes thats rubbish

Cumberland , Clarke has been better at VFL level than stack and they should not be at this stage

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
He can build his tank in the VFL.
Was he injured at the end of last season? Did he miss a lot of pre-season with injury? If the answer to those questions is no, then he's never going to get fit enough for AFL just playing in the VFL.
Why didn't he bust a gut for 6 months getting his tank up to the required level before the start of this season? He could have done solid 5k to 10k runs, repetition hill sprints, rep. 400s, 300s, 200's, 150's and get fit without playing any games. But I doubt he did that. He seems to be happy just doing enough to play at VFL level which is fine if that's all he wants, so let's not expect anything more.

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
we knew his potential...& his need for overseeing.
i don't understand why none of our coaching staff weren't at him between seasons, ticking off targets, goals etc.
not sure ss the only disappointment here.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Syd has always struggled as a forward , back in 19 or 20 he was bloody ordinary as a forward , I think it’s as simple as his a backman not a forward , that happens , what I’d like to see is put MartYn back into the middle , give Syd his half back role and move RCD out of the middle to anywhere , fact is he has had more then enough time to prove his up to it , now he’s just taking away crucial midfield time and experience away from the midfield cubs .

Halfback or bust for Syd , in saying that not sure he gets a game in front of Rioli or Baker anytime soon , maybe if his VFL form became too good to pass up on, Rioli could move to a wing . Anyway Syds right up against it now and has no one to blame but himself
Being saying for a time that Baker is best as a forward, and taking the Castagna role, and yesterday he proved he is by far the better prospect in that position, while GC did nothing at VFL
Hopefully Stack gets a run at half back soon.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
We all know what Syd can do but even at the televised Werribee match he seemed disinterested and only showed his undoubted skill in small stages. If he wanted it bad enough he could be in a best 22 in AFL every week but his mindset doesn't appear to be switched on properly to want it. Sad for someone with talent to burn and doesn't use it enough

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He's barely got the tank to be a flanker these days, so he'll never have the tank to be an AFL mid

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
we knew his potential...& his need for overseeing.
i don't understand why none of our coaching staff weren't at him between seasons, ticking off targets, goals etc.
not sure ss the only disappointment here.
They all get individual fitness programs set for them for over the summer break. Not sure the clubs are allowed to have much official contact with them during their break though as the players are on holiday.
Best thing would be for players to get together in unofficial training groups to keep their fitness up over the break, but that's all voluntary.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Stacky hasn’t been the same player since the 2020 covid year and kebabjab with Coleman- Jones who has been ordinary since then too.
He doesn’t seem to have the desire that he had in his first year and has looked overweight ( for him) for the past two seasons.
Doesn't have the self discipline to play AFL.

Its a full time professional sport and unfortunately plenty of talented kids don't make it because they are not cut out for it.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
We all know what Syd can do but even at the televised Werribee match he seemed disinterested and only showed his undoubted skill in small stages. If he wanted it bad enough he could be in a best 22 in AFL every week but his mindset doesn't appear to be switched on properly to want it. Sad for someone with talent to burn and doesn't use it enough
There were reasons Syd didn’t get drafted in the first place despite his obvious talent. Playing half hearted footy in the VFL will not make him attractive for other Clubs to show any interest. Hopefully he can shape up or sadly I feel he may sink without trace into lower levels of football.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah lets throw him in and do that. We need to get back to the vomiting on the sidelines Stack who desperately wanted to get his career off the ground.