Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
What I do know is that the concept of confidence, form, or being settled and in a strong mental space are too complex for some people to comprehend.
They like to keep it simple. He’s lazy, not trying, or doesn’t have enough talent are their go to thought processes. Enables them to keep everything in a tidy box.
I’m just thankful that those people aren’t coaching or in player development roles at the club.
Yeh, I think they forget just where this guy has come from. How his treatment at the hands of the WA legal system affected him. I'm in the camp we need to keep him but get him back to where he shone. But the club has got most thngs right this last 5 plus years so I'll back them in with their handling of Stack.

Reactions: 6 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
From memory he was oddly moved forward after playing very well down back. He then did pretty well but then his form tapered before getting dropped. I think he did his ankle in the twos and we tried to get him up for the VFL grand final but he didn't make it. THe move forward may have actually been the beginning of the end (albeit a long way out).
He was in the team for the VFL GF. Spent most of it on the bench. Did come on for a run, but was clearly on one leg. It was a last ditch effort to see if he could get Graham’s spot in the 2019 GF. Pickett was BOG in the VFL GF and we all know the fairytale that followed.

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
What I do know is that the concept of confidence, form, or being settled and in a strong mental space are too complex for some people to comprehend.
They like to keep it simple. He’s lazy, not trying, or doesn’t have enough talent are their go to thought processes. Enables them to keep everything in a tidy box.
I’m just thankful that those people aren’t coaching or in player development roles at the club.

Lets see how much longer these people coaching and development continue to persevere with Stackmans rubbish he has been delivering onfield and his antic's off field.

My money is he is on limited time and the 'talent' card has an expiry date

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Syd has always struggled as a forward , back in 19 or 20 he was bloody ordinary as a forward , I think it’s as simple as his a backman not a forward , that happens , what I’d like to see is put MartYn back into the middle , give Syd his half back role and move RCD out of the middle to anywhere , fact is he has had more then enough time to prove his up to it , now he’s just taking away crucial midfield time and experience away from the midfield cubs .

Halfback or bust for Syd , in saying that not sure he gets a game in front of Rioli or Baker anytime soon , maybe if his VFL form became too good to pass up on, Rioli could move to a wing . Anyway Syds right up against it now and has no one to blame but himself

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Baker won us the game last night as a high half forward. This opens up a spot for Stack in the backline. People and the coaches forget how well he was playing there late last year. He's not a forward. Baker is one of those rare players that can play anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Lets see how much longer these people coaching and development continue to persevere with Stackmans rubbish he has been delivering onfield and his antic's off field.

My money is he is on limited time and the 'talent' card has an expiry date
was he rubbish last game when he had 17 disposals, or the week before that when he kicked 3 goals?
he isnt knocking down the door for selection, but i reckon his "poor form" in the VFL is being over stated.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
yeah try Stack back, keep shorty in mid, juddy forward and baker to swing those massive balls wherever he damn well wants

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
"Why are we playing Sydney forward when his best spot is half-back?" come the anguished cries.

As stated, everyone's best spot is half-back. Dirty Bum-Jokes can fool AA selectors at half-back.

Why should we make things easy for Sydney, when he makes them hard for everyone, including himself, by turning up out of shape? "Oh, you're fat? Here, have an easy kick. Would you like a biscuit?"

No.

It's a delicate balance, between tough love and tough titties. Forward in the twos? Hardest place in the club to get a kick, especially if you're unfit. You're gonna have to earn it, Syd, we're telling him. And to his credit, he has worked his backside off most games I've seen this year. In-match endeavour has never been his issue. He got promoted - prematurely I thought, but we were short-handed - and relegated immediately. He kept working.

Wednesday night was his worst game for the club. The teeter tottered towards tough titties.

Sydney has done half a season's penance in the barren wastelands of the Punt Rd pockets. Is it enough? It doesn't matter. We need speed in our small forwards. Bing: MoJu and Juddy.

Wastelands are a harsh, discouraging climate. The boy needs a cuddle. Half-back for the next month. As @Harry points out, Bakes might be stepping into Lablett's role, opening a position on the half-back flank. And we all know who's best spot that is:

Everyone's. That's the answer but it's not the question. Who is the best half-back flanker to step into the role, that is the question. Hugo has a hand on it but keeps fumbling it (and maybe we wanna try Hugo on a wing to see if we can throw Marlion on-ball).

Over to you, Stackman.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Too think people are suggesting he play half back in the seniors is mind boggling to say the least . Will be lucky to be picked in the VFL next week let alone the AFL . Didn’t lay 1 tackle the other night . Might add was totally uncountable when he did play off HB last year thus he has gone forward with still no accountability. Can’t blame the club , blame the player in question . By the way , RCD isn’t far behind him either . Neither work hard enough and football isn’t spectator sport when you standing on the ground . Juddy Clarke got a game last night for reason
He EARNT it !

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Too think people are suggesting he play half back in the seniors is mind boggling to say the least . Will be lucky to be picked in the VFL next week let alone the AFL . Didn’t lay 1 tackle the other night . Might add was totally uncountable when he did play off HB last year thus he has gone forward with still no accountability. Can’t blame the club , blame the player in question . By the way , RCD isn’t far behind him either . Neither work hard enough and football isn’t spectator sport when you standing on the ground . Juddy Clarke got a game last night for reason
He EARNT it !
Sounds like you arent a Stackman fan?

• Haha

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
stack is a showman.

you don't keep these guys in the twos

tell him he has a month of senior footy to prove himself, otherwise he's out the door

• Dislike

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
"Why are we playing Sydney forward when his best spot is half-back?" come the anguished cries.

As stated, everyone's best spot is half-back. Dirty Bum-Jokes can fool AA selectors at half-back.

Why should we make things easy for Sydney, when he makes them hard for everyone, including himself, by turning up out of shape? "Oh, you're fat? Here, have an easy kick. Would you like a biscuit?"

No.

It's a delicate balance, between tough love and tough titties. Forward in the twos? Hardest place in the club to get a kick, especially if you're unfit. You're gonna have to earn it, Syd, we're telling him. And to his credit, he has worked his backside off most games I've seen this year. In-match endeavour has never been his issue. He got promoted - prematurely I thought, but we were short-handed - and relegated immediately. He kept working.

Wednesday night was his worst game for the club. The teeter tottered towards tough titties.

Sydney has done half a season's penance in the barren wastelands of the Punt Rd pockets. Is it enough? It doesn't matter. We need speed in our small forwards. Bing: MoJu and Juddy.

Wastelands are a harsh, discouraging climate. The boy needs a cuddle. Half-back for the next month. As @Harry points out, Bakes might be stepping into Lablett's role, opening a position on the half-back flank. And we all know who's best spot that is:

Everyone's. That's the answer but it's not the question. Who is the best half-back flanker to step into the role, that is the question. Hugo has a hand on it but keeps fumbling it (and maybe we wanna try Hugo on a wing to see if we can throw Marlion on-ball).

Over to you, Stackman.

I think you are right, we need to send him back for 1 last crack to see how much he wants it. To be fair, with what 28 inside 50's, he was never going to touch the ball forward on Wednesday night. We need better kicks out of the backline. We are trying ton find alternative positions for Martyn, I don't see it. Too slow/ small for mid, not a good enough kick for defence, so the only place is a small forward but again doesn't have the pace. I don't mind giving Mansell a crack as a small defensive forward but the move of Martyn back when we should have Stack there is bewildering.

RCD is in the same boat as Martyn IMO, just won't make it at AFL level in his preferred position, so lets stop taking time away from Dow / Sonsie in the midfield and give them 1st dibs at clearances, and not RCD. Looks like half forward or bust for RCD.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Thought there was an opportunity for Syd to take D'Ambrosio's spot down back.

Personally I reckon Syd is a midfielder, I don't understand why he is not played there, or at least used more there in the VFL, it's not as if his teammates are tearing it up and there's no room for him.

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014

Personally I reckon Syd is a midfielder, I don't understand why he is not played there, or at least used more there in the VFL, it's not as if his teammates are tearing it up and there's no room for him.
Does he have the tank to play midfield.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

The way Baker played last night would be perfect for him. Half back at time, with stints in the midfield. Has to be tried there in the VFL.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I think you are right, we need to send him back for 1 last crack to see how much he wants it. To be fair, with what 28 inside 50's, he was never going to touch the ball forward on Wednesday night. We need better kicks out of the backline. We are trying ton find alternative positions for Martyn, I don't see it. Too slow/ small for mid, not a good enough kick for defence, so the only place is a small forward but again doesn't have the pace. I don't mind giving Mansell a crack as a small defensive forward but the move of Martyn back when we should have Stack there is bewildering.

RCD is in the same boat as Martyn IMO, just won't make it at AFL level in his preferred position, so lets stop taking time away from Dow / Sonsie in the midfield and give them 1st dibs at clearances, and not RCD. Looks like half forward or bust for RCD.
Yep, simple. Stack takes Martyn's spot at half-back, Martyn takes RCD's in the guts, RCD takes Stack's at half-forward.

Reactions: 5 users

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
Stacky hasn’t been the same player since the 2020 covid year and kebabjab with Coleman- Jones who has been ordinary since then too.
He doesn’t seem to have the desire that he had in his first year and has looked overweight ( for him) for the past two seasons.