Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Whats the point of having a player this talented on the list if they won't play him?
Either pick him or cut him but it is a bit of a farce.
VFL have a bye this weekend so it’s boom or bust for Syd at the selection table this week.
If he doesn’t get selected in the seniors this week for meaningful minutes ( not sub ) then you’d have to be certain that he won’t get selected for the last game of the season, unless there are mass outs through injury.
Should really have been selected 5 weeks ago before he fractured his cheekbone.
A bona fide farce

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Stack looked to be a bit more conditioned to me. @caesar, have they nailed any new muscles on Stack to your eye? Anybody else seeing that?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Stack looked to be a bit more conditioned to me. @caesar, have they nailed any new muscles on Stack to your eye? Anybody else seeing that?
It’s his new hairdo Jack.
Takes your eyes away from the podgy guts and stumpy legs.
I’m putting a rinse through mine and calling myself Arnold as we speak.

Richmond VFL v Northern Pissants.

Sydney Stack (18 disposals, four tackles, three goals)

"He looked switched on from the first bounce and was really engaged. He made his teammates better, which is something we continually challenge Sydney to do, and he hit the scoreboard heavily, kicking three goals himself. But, it was his small acts that pleased me most."

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
It’s his new hairdo Jack.
Takes your eyes away from the podgy guts and stumpy legs.
I’m putting a rinse through mine and calling myself Arnold as we speak.

That's a keen observation, Arnold. I was thinking it was either a boob job or some serious weights. Both good outcomes.

Turns out Sydders has gone down the Young Fogey rinse path because it makes his rack look bigger. And is otherwise slimming.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Sydney fractured the cheekbone a month ago and missed two. He had a good game the day he was injured. But has been up and down since.

Suppose we want him to play two good ones in a row. Not unreasonable. He's struggled there. Consistency has been a problem all season. He's not stringing them together.

Sydders was down a bit for the two weeks after resuming from the cheekbone. But he did play some outstanding football as an outside mid. There was something new.

On the weekend we played a suburban side. Vermont or some such. Not VFA quality. But they did have a dip and they were quick.

In this setting Sydney Stack played the best half of football of his career. No longer an outside mid but a link up high forward. He covered ground urgently, ran to receive then ran again. Ground game terrific and Sydney was hard super industrious and blue-collar when he had to defend.

He got over a lot of lawn and split the traffic with his ability to pick the holes, receive and then send teammates to holes. Constructing plays. Classy use.

In the third quarter he looked gassed. Not covering the miles, one effort in the link up then done. And a couple of skill errors.

In the final quarter it looked to me that we were trying to feed him a goal. Get him a boost. A reward. He was paying lead up forward and at one stage Samson Ryan tried to ping him with an improbable pass when he was near certain to kick it himself. (Ryan is a good type. Like.)

Sydney did rally. Had he played two halves like the first he'd be hammering the door down. Was it enough? We'll see.

If he misses this week we'll be looking for another big VFA game next round.
Insightful.
Link up forward. He played the role well didn't he?
Always on the move, making good position around packs, going in hard and tackling fierce.
He plays like that its another bow to our forward line. Compliments Cumberland/ MoJu

Bullants were smart and quick. Syd showed he can play this inside forward role against speed. We know he can compete against heft.
Lots to like with this form

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
That's a keen observation, Arnold. I was thinking it was either a boob job or some serious weights. Both good outcomes.

Turns out Sydders has gone down the Young Fogey rinse path because it makes his rack look bigger. And is otherwise slimming.
Think you may be confusing him with Shai Boltons

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Simply must replace Castagna, but suspect the selectors love for George to continue, or Edwards will get preference.

At the very least, needs to be told he's first emergency to make sure he knows he's close if an opportunity presents itself. No VFL game hurts though.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I hope Sydney dumps a load of chicken *smile* in Dimma's driveway. It would be justified.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I doubt he's being recontracted after what's unfolded today with the contract announcements & not even making the squad.
Don’t think todays contract announcements have any bearing on Stacks personal contract arrangements.
I’d be surprised if he’s not fielding other offers and is considering his future though.
I am also totally bewildered they’ve again chosen to ignore him and by the players included before him. I can’t be convinced that Sydney wouldn’t perform better than Castagna or Edwards on any metric.
Disappointing but think you can put a pencil through his name for 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Disappointed for Stacky. Tore it up with real intent against preston

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Would offer more than Edwards, Castagna so this is ultra puzzling to say the least.

The form doesn't enter into the discussion as he had a great vfl game.

Can play as a defender so even more puzzling.

Reactions: 2 users

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
I don't get the Stack angst. His VFL form has been patchy, albeit with a few improved performances against suburban sides. Still fades in and out of games. Endeavour has improved, but still haven't seen anything to convince me that he's got a full game of hard running in him. As for bringing him in as a defender, especially in the context as a Vlastuin stop-gap, I just don't see it. Impact forward, perhaps - but even then the case isn't exactly compelling.

I'd consider him as a medical sub, but that's about it.

Hope to see some improvement next year based on a massive off-season. Let's see how serious he is about making it.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Would offer more than Edwards, Castagna so this is ultra puzzling to say the least.

The form doesn't enter into the discussion as he had a great vfl game.

Can play as a defender so even more puzzling.
His form was great against a side so far off AFL quality.
I would love to see Sydney Stack firing in the AFL but his reserves form has been up and down.

Hopefully 2023 is the year of Stack.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Disappointing. Just think on the G with all that space he is a player that just looks another level even at AFL level. He can absorb pressure, release other players into space and is a pretty good finisher. Definitely not as quick as Castagna but think he is a better tackler when he gets to the contest.

We’ve seen the value of accuracy with Cumberland and Lynch when he is on / fit vs wasting opportunities.

Hopefully the VFL squad can make finals and stack can brush this off and keep presenting his best - need suns to lose to Southport (likely) or North (unlikely) and us to best Frankston (likely).

If he can knuckle down in preseason and get a tank we effectively have an A grader sitting there waiting. This is the big question mark.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I get that Stack's form in the VFL has been patchy.

But he has talent and we want him to step up.

In any case, the non-selection of any player can only be assessed in comparison to the players who were selected in their place. Where's the great form, the consistency, the skill, of Castagna, in comparison to Stack?

DS

• Love

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Would have given Stacky a run ahead of both George n Shedda at the moment. Last two home n away games to see if he's got enough to impact in the finals or to confirm if we simply call it quits n let him go.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Would have given Stacky a run ahead of both George n Shedda at the moment. Last two home n away games to see if he's got enough to impact in the finals or to confirm if we simply call it quits n let him go.
It’s all very curious. Can’t help but think that there is quite a bit of division within the Club concerning Stacky’s future.

Maybe Dimma will surprise as he did last night with George, and bring Stacky in as a late change.