Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Chalk and cheese and not a great comparison, Syd has waaay! more obstacles to overcome than Shai but hopefully he can.

*Stengle would be a better comparison and a reason for a persist call. Stengle had to go through 3 clubs though to get there ,can Syd reverse his fortunes staying put?

Ain't that the big question.

Clearly has the talent, but we all know that guarantees nothing.

He is getting a few years older, hopefully wiser, and knows exactly what is required. Let's hope he can step up at Richmond. Of course, sometimes it takes a change of club for a player to realise their potential.

Still, I am happy if they extend his contract, he is worth persisting with.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Sydney Stack

"Struggled to have his usual impact on the game. It was a difficult day with the windy conditions, but he is certainly capable of more than what we saw on the weekend."

He aint getting promoted off the back of this summary.
Aarts was best on ground so let’s promote him

Reactions: 1 user

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
Chalk and cheese and not a great comparison, Syd has waaay! more obstacles to overcome than Shai but hopefully he can.

*Stengle would be a better comparison and a reason for a persist call. Stengle had to go through 3 clubs though to get there ,can Syd reverse his fortunes staying put?
Wise further comments C. Agree wholeheartedly

Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008

Spot on.
No question Stack is a massive talent.
Clearly also taking some time to come to grips with the lifestyle and demands of AFL.
I understand tough love has been required for a player that was not in acceptable condition for the start of the season.
But even after being made to earn his spot, he has not had the same opportunities afforded other more favoured fringe players.
Dropped after one brief cameo v WCE and has since been languishing in the 2's.
I acknowledge his stats and performance haven't been setting the world on fire the past week or so.
But what's the line that has been trotted out regularly by Hardwick?
"You leave a player in the 2's for too long and that's what they become?" Or some such.
That's what I fear is happening with Stack.
During our horror month Stack's inclusion could have made a difference, but instead we went back to the same old same olds, who frankly let us down.
Now we have potentially only three games left in the season.
It's not like we have heaps of talent waiting in the wings to step up when our ageing warriors retire this year or next.
The supposed NextGen in RCD, Martyn, Dow, Mansell are all busts.
The Stand Rule has increased the premium on kicking efficiency and that means Castagna, Aarts & co are yesterday's men.
Stack is one of the few talented young players ready to go, given Rioli, Banks, Brown, Clarke and Bauer are probably 1-2 years off being consistent contributors.
Towards the end of last year, Stack (belatedly) came in to the side and had an immediate and significant impact.
This is one case of selection stubbornness that is actually in danger of becoming counter productive.
We can ill afford to potentially lose a player of his quality, and the Stengle comparison is apt.
For the short and long term, get him in.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
We tend to over complicate things and try to find reasons why we shouldn't play certain players. Similar to Cumberland being overlooked for so long, it's mind boggling that Stack isn't in the firsts.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
If they focus on VFL form, they won't promote him.

If they focus on who can impact a game at AFL level, they SHOULD promote him.

I'd back Stack over RCD, Dow, Aarts or Castagna to have a greater impact at AFL level.

We're out of time to persist with trying to develop players with skill deficiencies at AFL level. Time to make the brave call RFC.

Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Spot on.
No question Stack is a massive talent.
Clearly also taking some time to come to grips with the lifestyle and demands of AFL.
I understand tough love has been required for a player that was not in acceptable condition for the start of the season.
But even after being made to earn his spot, he has not had the same opportunities afforded other more favoured fringe players.
Dropped after one brief cameo v WCE and has since been languishing in the 2's.
I acknowledge his stats and performance haven't been setting the world on fire the past week or so.
But what's the line that has been trotted out regularly by Hardwick?
"You leave a player in the 2's for too long and that's what they become?" Or some such.
That's what I fear is happening with Stack.
During our horror month Stack's inclusion could have made a difference, but instead we went back to the same old same olds, who frankly let us down.
Now we have potentially only three games left in the season.
It's not like we have heaps of talent waiting in the wings to step up when our ageing warriors retire this year or next.
The supposed NextGen in RCD, Martyn, Dow, Mansell are all busts.
The Stand Rule has increased the premium on kicking efficiency and that means Castagna, Aarts & co are yesterday's men.
Stack is one of the few talented young players ready to go, given Rioli, Banks, Brown, Clarke and Bauer are probably 1-2 years off being consistent contributors.
Towards the end of last year, Stack (belatedly) came in to the side and had an immediate and significant impact.
This is one case of selection stubbornness that is actually in danger of becoming counter productive.
We can ill afford to potentially lose a player of his quality, and the Stengle comparison is apt.
For the short and long term, get him in.
Good post 17.

Morris' report on Syd's game last week was less than complimentary so no surprises he's been left out.
The mistake was made week's ago when Castagna was preferred.

Reactions: 6 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
can we just get some AFL games into him before finals already?

Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Stack has rocked up to the last two preseasons under required levels. He has had his off field issues

Maybe the plan here is to get him working and hard in the VFL. See how he responds to the grind at VFL level. Doing all the hard work with little reward. Then see what condition he turns up this next preseason.

Just guessing here but maybe it is a tough love plan to see if we can bring the best out of Sydney and on a consistent year in year out basis

Reactions: 8 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Stack has rocked up to the last two preseasons under required levels. He has had his off field issues

Maybe the plan here is to get him working and hard in the VFL. See how he responds to the grind at VFL level. Doing all the hard work with little reward. Then see what condition he turns up this next preseason.

Just guessing here but maybe it is a tough love plan to see if we can bring the best out of Sydney and on a consistent year in year out basis
Dangerous game when your senior depth alternatives are Castagna and Aarts.
When you lose 3 games by under a goal you’ve got to wonder whether team selection could have been the difference. Especially when making the finals is so delicately balanced

• Love

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Just watched 10 minutes of vfl. Stacks ball use and movement in traffic just at a different level to everyone else. He is the i50 deliverer we need. Need to get him in for Castagna ASAP.

Reactions: 9 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Just watched 10 minutes of vfl. Stacks ball use and movement in traffic just at a different level to everyone else. He is the i50 deliverer we need. Need to get him in for Castagna ASAP.
Yeh, so clean. Clearly the only thing holding him back is fitness and work rate.

I doubt they will bring him into the side for Vlas but I wish they would.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Playing himself into senior consideration today up to half time.

Showing his class and poise is levels above.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeh, so clean. Clearly the only thing holding him back is fitness and work rate.

I doubt they will bring him into the side for Vlas but I wish they would.
They should. Short can go back to the HBF and Stack can wax mid-fwd with Sonz.

Reactions: 3 users