Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Feb 25, 2007
Richmond is on track to re-contract talented utility Sydney Stack despite a year in which he has played only two AFL games, one of them as the unused sub.
Stack, who broke his cheekbone last month, has made significant gains in his professionalism and while he would have rival suitors the 22-year-old will be at Punt Road next year.
- Herald Sun

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
As long as he gets a gig next year, I’m happy. He must be doing something right at the club.

Good news. Not fussed about the rest of the year based on next year still being in play.

Reactions: 2 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Dangerous game when your senior depth alternatives are Castagna and Aarts.
When you lose 3 games by under a goal you’ve got to wonder whether team selection could have been the difference. Especially when making the finals is so delicately balanced
Good point. On The couch they were discussing Ash Johnson and how Pies gave him a go even though his VFL form may not have warranted it. He's been very good since, lifted at the higher level. Basically they were saying some players you give them a game in the seniors because you know that they can play. If Stack can take this opportunity he could be the real difference between us jagging a flag or not. No one else has that upside that's fit and not currently playing. He's worth the risk.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Richmond is on track to re-contract talented utility Sydney Stack despite a year in which he has played only two AFL games, one of them as the unused sub.
Stack, who broke his cheekbone last month, has made significant gains in his professionalism and while he would have rival suitors the 22-year-old will be at Punt Road next year.
- Herald Sun
I'd imagine both Rutten and McRae would've enquired.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Good point. On The couch they were discussing Ash Johnson and how Pies gave him a go even though his VFL form may not have warranted it. He's been very good since, lifted at the higher level. Basically they were saying some players you give them a game in the seniors because you know that they can play. If Stack can take this opportunity he could be the real difference between us jagging a flag or not. No one else has that upside that's fit and not currently playing. He's worth the risk.
This. You miss 100% of the swings you don’t take. Massive potential upside on him vs current #22 output - spot between Edwards / castagna / mrj for me. Extra spot this week if NV out. I reckon they will go with Edwards though. Can also go back if needed.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Very good game against Preston

Wouldnt mind seeing

Out: Vlastuin (inj) Castagna (omitted)
In: Stack , Ralphsmith

• Wow

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
- Herald Sun
Great news
The club isn't stupid. He would be in WC best 5 players if we let him walk out

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Syds obviously on a long term plan , on someways the back half of this season is the start of pre season for 2023 , however geez I’ll be disappointed if we go with George over Syd this week , Syds a risk but he’s one definitely worth taking in my eyes

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Spot on.
No question Stack is a massive talent.
Clearly also taking some time to come to grips with the lifestyle and demands of AFL.
I understand tough love has been required for a player that was not in acceptable condition for the start of the season.
But even after being made to earn his spot, he has not had the same opportunities afforded other more favoured fringe players.
Dropped after one brief cameo v WCE and has since been languishing in the 2's.
I acknowledge his stats and performance haven't been setting the world on fire the past week or so.
But what's the line that has been trotted out regularly by Hardwick?
"You leave a player in the 2's for too long and that's what they become?" Or some such.
That's what I fear is happening with Stack.
During our horror month Stack's inclusion could have made a difference, but instead we went back to the same old same olds, who frankly let us down.
Now we have potentially only three games left in the season.
It's not like we have heaps of talent waiting in the wings to step up when our ageing warriors retire this year or next.
The supposed NextGen in RCD, Martyn, Dow, Mansell are all busts.
The Stand Rule has increased the premium on kicking efficiency and that means Castagna, Aarts & co are yesterday's men.
Stack is one of the few talented young players ready to go, given Rioli, Banks, Brown, Clarke and Bauer are probably 1-2 years off being consistent contributors.
Towards the end of last year, Stack (belatedly) came in to the side and had an immediate and significant impact.
This is one case of selection stubbornness that is actually in danger of becoming counter productive.
We can ill afford to potentially lose a player of his quality, and the Stengle comparison is apt.
For the short and long term, get him in.
Couldn’t agree more 17. But Dimma’s attitude to the stand rule goes
between playing some of our younger players who were drafted after the change and who can dispose effectively, and well playing George.
On his off days this translates to.
‘I tell you balmy the rule is in your mind but it doesn’t really matter because the rule is bs and I will not be bowed by bs’.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Syds obviously on a long term plan , on someways the back half of this season is the start of pre season for 2023 , however geez I’ll be disappointed if we go with George over Syd this week , Syds a risk but he’s one definitely worth taking in my eyes
100%

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Syd would be a decent replacement for Tigger.
Like Nick, he's good overhead and is equally as good a kick.
Another thing I like about Syd is his ability to put someone through a gap with a well timed handball.

I'm confident that Syd could come in and do the job, but because he hasn't been playing down back in the VFL, I think, sadly, that it's unlikely to happen.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Sydney fractured the cheekbone a month ago and missed two. He had a good game the day he was injured. But has been up and down since.

Suppose we want him to play two good ones in a row. Not unreasonable. He's struggled there. Consistency has been a problem all season. He's not stringing them together.

Sydders was down a bit for the two weeks after resuming from the cheekbone. But he did play some outstanding football as an outside mid. There was something new.

On the weekend we played a suburban side. Vermont or some such. Not VFA quality. But they did have a dip and they were quick.

In this setting Sydney Stack played the best half of football of his career. No longer an outside mid but a link up high forward. He covered ground urgently, ran to receive then ran again. Ground game terrific and Sydney was hard super industrious and blue-collar when he had to defend.

He got over a lot of lawn and split the traffic with his ability to pick the holes, receive and then send teammates to holes. Constructing plays. Classy use.

In the third quarter he looked gassed. Not covering the miles, one effort in the link up then done. And a couple of skill errors.

In the final quarter it looked to me that we were trying to feed him a goal. Get him a boost. A reward. He was paying lead up forward and at one stage Samson Ryan tried to ping him with an improbable pass when he was near certain to kick it himself. (Ryan is a good type. Like.)

Sydney did rally. Had he played two halves like the first he'd be hammering the door down. Was it enough? We'll see.

If he misses this week we'll be looking for another big VFA game next round.

• Love