Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Then your logic must apply to all others who were delisted.
Why didn’t they all work harder to succeed?

Aarts didn't have the talent, but he worked his butt off for the club. No-one can say he didn't put 100% into everything he did for the club. Its why I'd love to see him back as either the captain or vice captain of the VFL programme, whether we can afford him there remains to be seen though as he will likely field some very good offers from the stand along clubs IMO.
Martyn similar to Aarts.
RCD in the middle, I'm not sure he had the talent but his desire to succeed appears to be lacking hence he has gone too

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Oh well maybe this will be the thing that makes him click and gets his *smile* together and takes the off season seriously and gets fit rather than slack off.

His playing position has been mentioned a million times during his time at Richmond but basically he has enough talent to be elite in every position and the only thing thats held him back was his inability to get his fitness to afl level before pre season and always behind the 8 ball when the team returned.

He either comes back and works his ass off to get another chance or becomes the next relton

Good luck to the kid and hope he gets another chance

Totally agree and if we get the chance to get him back in the pre-season again I hope we do. Maybe just maybe this might be the think that does make it click for him.

If he falls into the AFL gutter it will be a big shame, but he has to accept that talent is only part of the equation and fitness is a massive component of playing AFL footy.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Once Syd wasn't selected (in favour of Castagna) after he lit it up in the VFL game earlier in the year it was pretty obvious his papers were stamped. Wouldn't of mattered what he did this year I reckon.

Incredibly frustrating that someone so gifted was unable to comply with the professional demands of the AFL environment.
Not the first & won't be the last talented kid spat out by a brutal system. Syd was given more chances than most because of his natural gifts.

I agree it is sad.

Reactions: 9 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Maybe. but he was a big part of this.

How many pre-seasons is it now where he has come in and is so far away from the fitness level he should be at?
The problem for Syd is that when he goes away from the footy club, he doesn't appear to have the desire to train to the level that he needs to, which means he comes back severely unfit and then has to play catchup for months.

Whether he learns from that remains to be seen, but are you saying that he shouldn't be the one to take responsibility for that?
This was exactly why I was cold on him, missed the opening state match due to a lack of match conditioning, 4 years later & nothing has changed. This is one reason why recruiters take the interviews particularly seriously & one reason you cannot discount work ethic as a junior. Stack's running capacity was almost as low as RCD's but not quite, he had a reasonable base to work with & his first 10 games indicated a potential role in defence. Part of the problem was he was also competing with Dan Rioli who was a combine star & a good kid to boot, this just goes to show that all the talent in the world still won't buy you a 200 game career.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Once Syd wasn't selected (in favour of Castagna) after he lit it up in the VFL game earlier in the year it was pretty obvious his papers were stamped. Wouldn't of mattered what he did this year I reckon.

Incredibly frustrating that someone so gifted was unable to comply with the professional demands of the AFL environment.
Not the first & won't be the last talented kid spat out by a brutal system. Syd was given more chances than most because of his natural gifts.

I agree it is sad.
Well said mate.

He will get picked up by another club or at the least be offered a train on position in the pre-season.

If Stack goers to Collingwood or Geelong and resurrects his career to 2019 levels It will seriously boil my pisss..

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I can’t help wondering what would have happened to Syd had we left him in the back line to prosper. He was dominating.
Everything turned to *smile* when they moved him forward.
Could have played in a Premiership.
We’ll never know of course.
Rest is history
Agree with that. Despite a few good games up forward, his career never really recovered from the 2019 shift away from the backline. BTW, this is the most critical i have ever seen you of the club.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Oh nooooooo. Watching him play in the 2nds was convincing enough we stick with him. Someone even mentioned another 1 year deal.

I'm angry enough about Stengle coming good especially at Geesook, can you imagine if it happens with Stack now.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Well said mate.

He will get picked up by another club or at the least be offered a train on position in the pre-season.

If Stack goers to Collingwood or Geelong and resurrects his career to 2019 levels It will seriously boil my pisss..
Same here craigo. You can see this happening. I reckon it's a 100% chance any club will pick him especially WC or Freo.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ah well. Talented but clearly struggling with the standards and work levels of AFL football, particularly given that he doesn’t have a natural aerobic/fitness base that some can rely on. He’s a guy that’s always gonna find most work hard when for many others it’s just standard, easily digested stuff.

I’ve always thought his lack of maturity doesnt help either. Maybe his tough upbringing has a bit to do with that.

Anyway, not quite over for him yet but a kick in the arse all the same.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A real shame that Syd didn't take his chance/s like Marlion has.
Certain to be given another chance at another club.
Has got 10 years of good football in him, if he want's it bad enough.

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
It’s to be hoped Sydney doesn’t find himself in 10 years time wondering what if? He may also be content to make his TikTok videos and do his rap and kick around in the state league on weekends.

Feb 25, 2007
I am somewhat surprised about Stack, thought he put his best foot forward towards the backend of the year

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Can see McCrae giving him or RCD a go given that they were members of his VFL premiership side.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Oh nooooooo. Watching him play in the 2nds was convincing enough we stick with him. Someone even mentioned another 1 year deal.
Yep a one-year deal would've been a good incentive and wouldn't really have cos the club much at all.
I am somewhat surprised about Stack, thought he put his best foot forward towards the backend of the year
Problem was he never did it at the start of the year except the 2018 pre-Christmas preseason kick off for 2019 that saw the RFC take him on.

Disapointing,

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
You are kidding right, not being selected had nothing to do with what position he played.
You’ll need to explain to me then why they didn’t select him when he had his run of strong performances in the VFL and was overlooked for promotion by Castagna.
Because he had a poor off season?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Marlion was 28 when he got his chance, Sydney was 18

Maybe it will take another 5 years for him.