Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

You can only assume he let Dimma down one too many times in the end ,

And he just decided enough is enough
Comes a time the club has to cut its losses. Imagine they would have invested so much time and effort just to get him to act as a base level professional but he couldn’t even do that. When the club asks you come back to preseason in a certain condition and 3 years in a row you are nowhere near it, then AFL is probably not for you.
Won’t be the last super talented kid to p**s it all away because they can’t be bothered doing the hard work required

Reactions: 5 users
We did select Lennon ahead of Cripps and Griffens ahead of Fyfe so we don't get everything right.
Most other clubs also overlooked both Cripps and Fyfe. Reckon there may have been a local v interstate thing going on.

Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 1 users
Not surprised, but still a tad disappointed. That run in 2019 was electric stuff.
It was AA level stuff. Incredible to think its over.

So sad, he is actually a very interesting kid whose had a pretty incredible journey so far. But the brain is a *smile* crazy instrument. We are all wired differently.

All the best on the next step Syd.

Reactions: 4 users
The decision to let Sydney go is a poor one.
He was playing very well over the last 8-10 weeks of the vfl season and when Dimma had the opportunity to play him, when someone didn’t come up, but chose not to give him that chance, it seemed likely that as they say,
‘his papers had been marked’.

Badly treated earlier by the AFL and the club over kebab gate, and by the WA Judiciary following his arrest in WA on a COVID isolation case, I am surprised that a way could not be found to further nurture his considerable potential.

How on balance this decision could be reached particularly in a year where the draft beyond round 1 is considered weak, further emphasis Dimma’s hand in this matter.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
writing on the wall, football is a cut throat business and as a player you need to perform at your top level to gain a spot. these four players did their best and helped us along the way, we thank you. When I look at these changes, it's clear we have now sufficient midfielders, running half backs and small forwards. if we have 4 picks, 2 draft pick of talls, one or two pre season drafts (pending who's on the table or training well for us) or and one pick mid season.

looking at the draft swaps, alot of clubs swapped one type with a similar type.

A real shame that Syd didn't take his chance/s like Marlion has.
Certain to be given another chance at another club.
Has got 10 years of good football in him, if he want's it bad enough.
Marlion sufferred. A lot. Syd hasn't perhaps reached that point yet.

A bit like an addict that needs to hit rock bottom before making changes. Life can be pretty tough.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks Sydney. You are an exhilarating footballer.

I wish for you to find your place in life. If that includes football I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed watching you play.

Reactions: 2 users
Won't be forgotten in a hurry.......... by Jack Viney

Reactions: 1 user
I think the Covid interrupted seasons really impacted the development of Stack, RCD, Coleman Jones & Dow.
Jack Ross the exception who has done pretty well to rise above it tbh. A very tough time for young footballers that were drafted without much support.

Syd's second season in 2020 was a disaster after such a scintillating debut year. He needed the structure of the footy club & floundered without it when covid hit. He was played in a lot of matches in that second year that he probably didn't deserve. Was a shadow of the footballer from the year before.
Many overlook that but I reckon Dimma lost a bit of trust after that year, kebab gate didn't help.
He's never really been the same player since that debut season despite some glimpses.
Now he's been cut loose again I really hope he's able to get his life sorted but I do worry about his future outside the game. A tough upbringing hasn't helped him one iota. I sure wish him well.

Reactions: 7 users
Very sad news. He quickly became one of my favourites in 2019. I know we're operating off of limited information, but I feel like he's too talented to give up on.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
WCE or Freo will take a punt.
Unfortunately, yes. We can't let him loose surely not. Give him a rookie spot until it finally clicks. This is like a short term investment I'd keep renewing until a good return finally arrives.

Reactions: 1 user