Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Everyone got Stengle wrong who said he wasn't the one to keep. But that happens. I am usually more wrong than right.

Stacky is probably going to be the same. We gave him one or two games and didn't select him when he was playing well. No wonder he took his ball and is off home. From his side he probably feels alienated.

Always two sides to a story. Just have to trust the club and move on. It's not like we haven't lost players that end up being AA or premiership players before is it?
If every player who thinks they should get picked and didn’t walks out there would be a mass exodus from clubs every year.
The reality was that if we were rewarding form in the vfl Stack was playing well but we would have picked Jake Aarts before him.
Unfortunately he has no resilience.
It is complicated and given his background the way he is can be explained and rationalised. But it can’t go on for ever

Reactions: 5 users
On Stack’s VFL form this year. While he was generally good, not once did he put in a performance that ‘demanded’ selection like Sonsie, Clarke or even Ross did (when demoted).

He may well get a second chance and come good but it’s clearly not going to happen at Richmond. Time for both parties to move on.

Reactions: 4 users
It started to go bad for Stack after he and Conti stopped seeing each other. Stack had trouble accepting he wasn't the best footballer in the relationship.

Reactions: 2 users
He may well get a second chance and come good but it’s clearly not going to happen at Richmond. Time for both parties to move on.

I am not confident he will get a second chance without a massive demonstration of his commitment at state level footy.

Few clubs have or can afford to put the resources that we can in to supporting him.

If he couldn’t make it with us, then he either isn’t good enough (unlikely) or he needs to change his attitude/professionalism fundamentally.

And I think that seems unlikely as well. The WA Covid quarantine breach underlines it.

People seem to forget that Stengle was in Adelaide’s list after playing for us and before going to Geelong. Stack might be the same and take a while to find his spot.
Agree, there's no guarantee staying at Richmond he'd have changed.
Took him two more environments and an incident or two in Adelaide to finally grasp his chance.
Hopefully for Sydney's sake he can get another chance and grasp it before he's too old to play.

Reactions: 1 users
It started to go bad for Stack after he and Conti stopped seeing each other. Stack had trouble accepting he wasn't the best footballer in the relationship.
Pretty poor taste really.
A talented young Richmond player has probably lost his career for one reason or another.
The rhetoric on here is embarrassing at times

Everyone got Stengle wrong who said he wasn't the one to keep. But that happens. I am usually more wrong than right.

Stacky is probably going to be the same. We gave him one or two games and didn't select him when he was playing well. No wonder he took his ball and is off home. From his side he probably feels alienated.

Always two sides to a story. Just have to trust the club and move on. It's not like we haven't lost players that end up being AA or premiership players before is it?

RFC did offer Stengle 2 more year's, Adelaide came over the top with 3 year's and probably more $ so it wasn't that the club wasn't willing to persist, as it turned out multiple indiscretions saw him fail at Adelaide.
Kudos to Tyson for getting his *smile* together in 2021 and playing great SANFL footy and getting his third chance and taking it.

Reactions: 12 users
RFC did offer Stengle 2 more year's, Adelaide came over the top with 3 year's and probably more $ so it wasn't that the club wasn't willing to persist, as it turned out multiple indiscretions saw him fail at Adelaide.
Kudos to Tyson for getting his *smile* together in 2021 and playing great SANFL footy and getting his third chance and taking it.

True, but kudos should also go to Eddie Betts for his fantastic mentoring of Tyson over a period of time, culminating in his stellar performance this year.

Reactions: 10 users
If every player who thinks they should get picked and didn’t walks out there would be a mass exodus from clubs every year.
The reality was that if we were rewarding form in the vfl Stack was playing well but we would have picked Jake Aarts before him.
Unfortunately he has no resilience.
It is complicated and given his background the way he is can be explained and rationalised. But it can’t go on for ever
That's right. Stacky had his chances and so did the club.

I am sure the club supported him off the field as much as they could. It's sad for us because we saw what he could be.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it speaks to culture. If you reward someone who doesn’t meet the standards then can have a pretty negative effect on the rest of the group.

I’m sure you can think of examples in your own workplace.
In most work places these days those people get promoted

Reactions: 3 users
People seem to forget that Stengle was on Adelaide’s list after playing for us and before going to Geelong. Stack might be the same and take a while to find his spot.
And seem to forget we wanted to keep Tyson, but he asked for a trade.
For what it’s worth our boys still always supported Tyson. From what I have heard about Syd is his brothers at the club had even given up.

Last edited:
  • Sad
On Stack’s VFL form this year. While he was generally good, not once did he put in a performance that ‘demanded’ selection like Sonsie, Clarke or even Ross did (when demoted).

Yep give the man a cigar , never did I put down my glasses when seeing stacky play, good luck to him

Reactions: 1 user
There goes another natural born footballer over todays homogeneous and often robotic athlete who can run all day.
I’m obviously a dinosaur who grew up enjoying football in its purest form.
Give me Knights, Bowden and Broderick over a B&F winning Short any day.
Stack a victim of athletic limitations as much as anything else.

Stack was a victim of his own attitude to his profession.

Broderick was the anti-Stack - incredibly hard worker who made the absolute best of his talents.

Reactions: 5 users
Seems odd to me that Stack wasn't given another year. Maybe there were more behavioural issues. Or maybe it was just clear that he would never had the desire required.

Three years was long enough for him to prove himself IMO. Give the spot to someone else.

Reactions: 2 users
From LeeToRainesToRoach ...
Sorry- am compelled to comment here. Don’t speak ill of the dead and all but LTRTR was extreme in his racist views. Leave that slur about a young player off here. Very disappointing that any pre er would credit that crap with a like.

Sorry- am compelled to comment here. Don’t speak ill of the dead and all but LTRTR was extreme in his racist views. Leave that slur about a young player off here. Very disappointing that any pre er would credit that crap with a like.

If you wish to contest the comment made about Sydney having an issue with alcohol, then please provide more information to support your comment. Anything of substance that you could add to the topic would be an improvement over slandering someone who is no longer around to defend himself.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users