Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

If you wish to contest the comment made about Sydney having an issue with alcohol, then please provide more information to support your comment. Anything of substance that you could add to the topic would be an improvement over slandering someone who is no longer around to defend himself.

Strange take.

One would think an allegation that Stack has an ongoing alcohol problem would need to be supported by evidence rather than the reverse.

Reactions: 7 users
If we all sit Back and take it in.
He hasn't played a good senior game since 2019.
Conca once played well against Melbourne in 2012 too

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
If you wish to contest the comment made about Sydney having an issue with alcohol, then please provide more information to support your comment. Anything of substance that you could add to the topic would be an improvement over slandering someone who is no longer around to defend himself.
Get your values checked cups. It’s not alright to post slander about a young player. A screenshot of a text by a deceased ex poster is not evidence. The horrible media pile on is already disgusting enough.

Reactions: 6 users

I will go with Hardwick’s take.

Best wishes Sydney. I hope you can find what you need in life.

As much as we 'fall in love' with players (and out of love too!)..... the business of footy these days is so focused on the ultimate prize that if you don't/won't/can't live the life of a professional footballer and even if you do and you're found wanting in your development. ...... then sadly it's time to move on.
The dollar cost of getting these blokes to this point is no doubt massive and so the decision to delist would never be taken lightly.

I'm not sure what some on here expect the club to do when it comes to making tough calls. What, don't?
I never want to see the club go back to the days of being a rabble! (think Essendon)
For me, my love of the RFC as a whole, over the course of my life supercedes the affection I have for all who have worn the jumper.

So good luck boys, hope you still get to live out your AFL dream elsewhere but if not, you have at least learnt some valuable life lessons in a professional environment so few are fortunate to experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
We all wanted Sydney to work out.
Maybe he doesn't want it as much as we want him too. It's not for everyone

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with the people that Sydney was given more than enough of a shot to grow, to learn and develop as both a player and a person.

I say this because I'm up to the part in Neil Balme's book where Dane Swan had his incident in 2003 and Eddie wanted to sack him, he wanted to show he meant business and Balmey wanted him and everyone to stay calm.

Balmey via Eddie's comments in the book sides with the players more than he did with his duties of telling the board some home truths the players got up too, so for sure Balmey was Sydney's number one supporter the last four years he was down at our club.

Thinking about Sydney's and Swannies incidents and then reading Nathan Buckley's comments about Neil Balme in the book, I believe would have went along similar lines for them both.

Buckley said - "Balmey has an earthy side, a holistic side, he's on about coaching the person very early. He loved difference. He didn't like cookie-cutter approaches. He was a larrikin himself so he'd stick with you when others had abandoned you...he didn't judge. He had great faith in all people, we're all flawed."

If you don't think we have the right people like Neil Balme at the club who can help you grow, learn and develop to not only become a better footballer but also to become a better person, then you don't know what a beauty we have in our corner trying to make everyone at our club the best they can be!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Ultimately he just hasn't played footy well enough.

Indisputably talented but anyone with talent can come into a strong side and play well when you are item 22 on the opposition agenda. Had he maintained a high standard of footy all the loose behaviour and training standards would have been non-issues. On top of that, he hasn't dominated the VFL like he should.

The young man has had a difficult path in life and in time he might find the maturity to make another run at it, but right now he hasn't shown the ability to play well enough at this level.

Reactions: 12 users
Ultimately he just hasn't played footy well enough.

Indisputably talented but anyone with talent can come into a strong side and play well when you are item 22 on the opposition agenda. Had he maintained a high standard of footy all the loose behaviour and training standards would have been non-issues. On top of that, he hasn't dominated the VFL like he should.

The young man has had a difficult path in life and in time he might find the maturity to make another run at it, but right now he hasn't shown the ability to play well enough at this level.
Disagree
You cannot turn up to pre season training unfit , overweight and unprepared
If you watched pre season training he always struggled . There lies the issue .

Reactions: 1 user
Disagree

No doubt but the point still stands if you play well enough then you keep getting opportunities.

Stack might not be fit enough to hit his defensive markers or play as well in the last quarter as he does in the first but if you are good enough the footy takes care of everything else.

Reactions: 2 users
Disagree
While the clubs will allow a fair amount of the individuals personality to exist, there are some non negotiables in professional sport.

Turning up fit and ready to go especially when the club was at pains to stress this point and the player still can't fulfil this basic requirement then AFL isn't for them.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with TBR here, Dimma actually played him for a good month or two the year after his breakout and he wasnt fit and played poorly.

All Sports, individual and team (probably less so) sports are littered with stars who are poor trainers.

Reactions: 1 users
When was the last time a player we 'Cut' actually came back to bite us ?
Stengle wanted to leave and we facilitated his desire as it was best for him at the time and he would not have been delisted otherwise

Reactions: 1 user