Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
So clearly you have intimate knowledge about why he wasn't there?
Why is it always Dusty that we are trying to find excuses for?

If he has a family commitment fine, but say that. The specifics don't have to be released. He can't expect to be the highest paid player in the AFL and not have to talk to anyone on anything other than his own terms. Perfectly happy to chat to people who paid for a ticket to his one on one interviews a few years back.

If its good enough for the players that have been told they are being delisted to turn up then its good enough for our highest paid player.

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
The interesting thing about Dusty not being there on Tuesday (and Stacky for that matter) is that we haven't seen conspiracy theories all over the footy media.
I have been expecting "Dusty snubs teammates, is he committed to the Tigers?" headlines and am a bit surprised they haven't happened.
The media are too busy suxing off Geesook and Duckwood to care luckily

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Why is it always Dusty that we are trying to find excuses for?

If he has a family commitment fine, but say that. The specifics don't have to be released. He can't expect to be the highest paid player in the AFL and not have to talk to anyone on anything other than his own terms. Perfectly happy to chat to people who paid for a ticket to his one on one interviews a few years back.

If its good enough for the players that have been told they are being delisted to turn up then its good enough for our highest paid player.

Who said he needs an excuse found?

Players miss the best and fairest all the time. There's a lot of elements that go into the timing of it.

The way it works is you have to wrap up your post season reviews etc by the Wednesday after your final match. Then we will have a recommencement date in November, set by the AFL and AFLPA with 1-4 years two weeks before that.

With our best and fairest scheduled after the Grand Final that means nearly 3 weeks of leave has passed before it comes up. Depending on what happens with this Magic round and the shorter pre-season, they might be due back on November 7 or even October 31 this year.

If someone needs an operation there's not much of a window left if you want to get away and have a break, which is why best and fairests aren't compulsory functions.

People might say not making the effort to go regardless is a sign of commitment but I think you have to see it from Dustin's point of view. He's had a long, frustrating year football wise and lived through significant emotional upheaval off the field. On top of being tied down with injury and Covid restrictions before that.

He heads overseas because it is the only place he gets some sanctuary. In Australia he has zero privacy and zero ability to live a normal life. He can go to very few places and spends a lot of time isolated at home. I've walked for 10 minutes with him and started getting annoyed at the amount of times people stop him and ask for selfies or just to have a chat and I'm at least a little used to it.

So he either would have to jet off and return and then go again or miss the best and fairest. To ask him to give up the chance to spend more time overseas to attend the best and fairest, probably his worst nightmare in terms of functions because he has to spend the whole night dealing with liniment sniffers, would be pretty harsh I think.

Reactions: 23 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Who said he needs an excuse found?

Players miss the best and fairest all the time. There's a lot of elements that go into the timing of it.

The way it works is you have to wrap up your post season reviews etc by the Wednesday after your final match. Then we will have a recommencement date in November, set by the AFL and AFLPA with 1-4 years two weeks before that.

With our best and fairest scheduled after the Grand Final that means nearly 3 weeks of leave has passed before it comes up. Depending on what happens with this Magic round and the shorter pre-season, they might be due back on November 7 or even October 31 this year.

If someone needs an operation there's not much of a window left if you want to get away and have a break, which is why best and fairests aren't compulsory functions.

People might say not making the effort to go regardless is a sign of commitment but I think you have to see it from Dustin's point of view. He's had a long, frustrating year football wise and lived through significant emotional upheaval off the field. On top of being tied down with injury and Covid restrictions before that.

He heads overseas because it is the only place he gets some sanctuary. In Australia he has zero privacy and zero ability to live a normal life. He can go to very few places and spends a lot of time isolated at home. I've walked for 10 minutes with him and started getting annoyed at the amount of times people stop him and ask for selfies or just to have a chat and I'm at least a little used to it.

So he either would have to jet off and return and then go again or miss the best and fairest. To ask him to give up the chance to spend more time overseas to attend the best and fairest, probably his worst nightmare in terms of functions because he has to spend the whole night dealing with liniment sniffers, would be pretty harsh I think.

How many B&F's has Cotch missed or any of our other senior players?

Dusty will be in Sydney or overseas enjoying his break whilst the rest of the team are still doing the right thing.

No one is bigger than the team, Dusty included.

Celebs who earn big $ don't get any privacy it comes with the territory unfortunately.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Dusty will be in Sydney or overseas enjoying his break whilst the rest of the team are still doing the right thing.

Celebs who earn big $ don't get any privacy it comes with the territory unfortunately.
Not just because he’s “Dusty”. As TBR has already stated, it’s been a tough year for Dusty, recovering from a horrendous injury, mental health wise, father’s bereavement, injuries and the “video”.
Completely different set of circumstances to other senior players. If they had personal reasons to miss the medal presentations I’m sure they’d be excused without the club batting an eyelid. It’s not as if the night depended on Dusty’s being there or not. It was still a success.

If he comes back mind and body refreshed, to me, that’s more important for him personally and secondly for the team and club.
But each of us have differing opinions. That’s fine, but as usual mine seems to be correct :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Not just because he’s “Dusty”. As TBR has already stated, it’s been a tough year for Dusty, recovering from a horrendous injury, mental health wise, father’s bereavement, injuries and the “video”.
Completely different set of circumstances to other senior players. If they had personal reasons to miss the medal presentations I’m sure they’d be excused without the club batting an eyelid. It’s not as if the night depended on Dusty’s being there or not. It was still a success.

If he comes back mind and body refreshed, to me, that’s more important for him personally and secondly for the team and club.
But each of us have differing opinions. That’s fine, but as usual mine seems to be correct :giggle:
Well done again Willos !!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

I don't know, how many have they missed?

None of our players have ever experienced anything like what his life is like. The last bloke who did was Buddy Franklin and he moved to Sydney to escape.

No-one in the team would care, the best and fairest isn't about the players anymore, if it was it would still be three days after the last game. I'm sure if you asked the team if they would prefer Dustin stay at home for three weeks waiting for it or get out and recharge and come back ready to go the answer would be unanimously the latter.

Reactions: 6 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

Agree 100% agree
Hardwick is letting him do whatever he likes now.
What would happen if Cumberland or Rioli missed the B&F.
What ever Dusty was doing could it not wait?
We would laugh how Geelong would let Ablett do whatever he wanted to do where doing the exactly the same with Dusty.
In 5 yrs time he will be a legend of the game, let's see the best of him before he finishes

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
The interesting thing about Dusty not being there on Tuesday (and Stacky for that matter) is that we haven't seen conspiracy theories all over the footy media.
I have been expecting "Dusty snubs teammates, is he committed to the Tigers?" headlines and am a bit surprised they haven't happened.
Because where not playing.
If there was a game on, it would be Front page news.
'Dusty misses training'
'Dusty does what he wants'
'No rules Dusty'
'Dusty's not here'
The media aren't interested because
It's dosent get the clicks its off the season

Last edited:

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

Jayden Short won the B&F in the year his Dad passed away.

Sure it was a tough year but heaps of people lose parents. You can choose to wallow in self pity or get on with life and make them proud

Reactions: 1 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Jayden Short won the B&F in the year his Dad passed away.

Sure it was a tough year but heaps of people lose parents. You can choose to wallow in self pity or get on with life and make them proud
People handle grief in different ways.
“Choose to wallow in self pity” is a really callous comment and a very poor one. You don’t just flick a switch and all’s right with the world.
Not attending a *smile* football presentation is meaningless in the scheme of life.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
with regards to missing training, Dusty is super fit, looks after his body and stays in shape. He does other private training. That's why he was able to come back for the finals, other players couldn't

Reactions: 1 users

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Delisted.

The only thing standing in the way of a 250 game career here was Syd.

Reactions: 6 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
A little bit surprised but we don’t know what goes on completely. Ah well, wish him well.