Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Jane Hume said it even more explicitly during the by-election coverage. They don't get it.
Jane Hume was the co-author of the internal review of the liberal party performance in the 2022 federal election.
Enough said

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Labor/Greens are running the big show now,so let's see what happens.They aren't in opposition any more so maybe they should act like it.
For some reason state premiers are all running to China .hmmm

The biggest hurdle Labor/Greens will face is if their is power black outs,better hope it's not a cold winter or stinking hot summer.
Or worst still China invades Taiwan .

Labor/Greens are running the big show now,so let's see what happens.They aren't in opposition any more so maybe they should act like it.
For some reason state premiers are all running to China .hmmm

The biggest hurdle Labor/Greens will face is if their is power black outs,better hope it's not a cold winter or stinking hot summer.
Or worst still China invades Taiwan .

Can you point to exactly where the Greens are part of a Federal or State government in Australia?

Or are you just making sh**t up again?

DS

Labor/Greens do run the big show Comrade Dave,At federal and in Victoria, nothing gets passed in the Senate without the Greens .
Unless heaven forbid the Coalition back Labor ,l think they would back Labor more, if it was Shorten in charge he seems a lot more measured and less fanatical :whistle:

I bet the Greens are ruing not voting for the Emission Trading Scheme 10 years ago.

They can't play hardball with amendments to proposed Labor legislation. All Labor has to do is remind the Australian electorate that the Greens voting with the LIBERAL party in voting down the Emission Trading Scheme.
A good example of this is their support last week in passing Labor's Emissions Safeguard Mechanism. The Greens had wanted to ban all new coal and gas projects, but Labor stood their ground, held firm and got their way.

While the Greens might have the balance of power in the Senate, voting to pass the Emissions Safeguard Mechanism, without being able to ban proposed fossil fuel projects is a good indication that they have been suitably chastened by their mistake in supporting the Liberal Party and voting down the Emission Trading Scheme

I commend the Greens for voting to pass the Emissions Safeguard Mechanism.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I bet the Greens are ruing not voting for the Emission Trading Scheme 10 years ago.

They can't play hardball with amendments to proposed Labor legislation. All Labor has to do is remind the the Australian electorate that the Greens voting with the LIBERAL party in voting down the Emission Trading Scheme.
A good example of this is their support last week in passing Labor's Emissions Safeguard Mechanism. The Greens had wanted to ban all new coal and gas projects, but Labor stood their ground, held firm and got their way.

While the Greens might have the balance of power in the Senate, voting to pass the Emissions Safeguard Mechanism, without being able to ban proposed fossil fuel projects is a good indication that they have been suitably chastened by their mistake in supporting the Liberal Party and voting down the Emission Trading Scheme

I commend the Greens for voting to pass the Emissions Safeguard Mechanism.

Do you think Australia should be looking to open/ consider 100 new gas and coal projects?

Greens have Labor over a barrel in the senate don't they ,or am l making that up .

You can spin it however you like (you seem to be a bit obsessed with the Greens and China), but the best part about the state of play in federal politics nowadays is that Labor do not need the cooker politicians (Hanson, Roberts, Babet) and Jacqui “I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine” Lambie to pass legislation. They are literally lame duck politicians.

And that is great for Australia.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think Australia should be looking to open/ consider 100 new gas and coal projects?
No.

Only half of those 100 odd projects will be viable under the amendments to the Safeguard mechanism. I commend both Labor and the Greens.

You can spin it however you like (you seem to be a bit obsessed with the Greens and China), but the best part about the state of play in federal politics nowadays is that Labor do not need the cooker politicians (Hanson, Roberts, Babet) and Jacqui “I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine” Lambie to pass legislation. They are literally lame duck politicians.

And that is great for Australia.
Let's get one thing straight,CHINA is not our friends ,everything they do is too benefit them ,they are a extremely smart and well organized operation .
They target countries that is of strategic benefit to them ,and countries that they can bribe .
Australia needs to start trading away from China ,which is slowly happening ,thanks to China's previous sanctions on Australia.Thanks Scomo for calling them out.
China have currently one of the worst human rights violations in the world,probably only bettered by Russia's invasion of Ukraine .
Yet the Labor party at Federal and state level seem intent of keeping them around .

As for the Greens ,they are just a bunch of activists without a clue ,do you really think the Greens aren't getting their back scratched by Labor ,of course they are ,l would say 90 percent plus of their preferences go to Labor ,it keeps them relevant ,and helps Labor at the same time.

As for mining ,do people really think Australia will stop mining coal,alot of countries around the world depend on our resources for power etc.,because renewables just don't give enough for constant power.
So lets *smile* up the mining industry ,and see how much it effects international investment ,but of course the do gooders don't care,they think they are saving the world ,by buying Green things from the biggest polluters in the world,because Australia is another planet.

Just met Chris Minns. Nice bloke, doesn't seem at all like a stupid criminal, so NSW won't know what's hit it.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Let's get one thing straight,CHINA is not our friends ,everything they do is too benefit them ,they are a extremely smart and well organized operation .
They target countries that is of strategic benefit to them ,and countries that they can bribe .
Australia needs to start trading away from China ,which is slowly happening ,thanks to China's previous sanctions on Australia.Thanks Scomo for calling them out.
China have currently one of the worst human rights violations in the world,probably only bettered by Russia's invasion of Ukraine .
Yet the Labor party at Federal and state level seem intent of keeping them around .

As for the Greens ,they are just a bunch of activists without a clue ,do you really think the Greens aren't getting their back scratched by Labor ,of course they are ,l would say 90 percent plus of their preferences go to Labor ,it keeps them relevant ,and helps Labor at the same time.

As for mining ,do people really think Australia will stop mining coal,alot of countries around the world depend on our resources for power etc.,because renewables just don't give enough for constant power.
So lets *smile* up the mining industry ,and see how much it effects international investment ,but of course the do gooders don't care,they think they are saving the world ,by buying Green things from the biggest polluters in the world,because Australia is another planet.
i always have a little laugh when "right wingers" start worrying about human rights violations.

Yeah l guess thats because left wingers don't.

When I went to Russia for the world cup in 2018, I received some criticism on social media due to their human rights issues, especially when it comes to LGBTIQA+ people.

Qatar was next. I was fully intending on going until I believed Australia wasn’t gonna qualify, so I pulled the pin. I had friends that went to Russia state they are refusing to go to Qatar due to human rights issues… and they couldn’t believe I was still going.

So, I said to them… “Where do you draw the line on human rights issues? You could just about pick any country in the world and find some violation of human rights, including Australia. I bet you will go to the USA in 2026 knowing they still execute people, fight against women’s reproductive rights and give people access to guns to kill innocent children in schools?”

As it turned out, those guys ended up going to Qatar. And I will guarantee to you that when the Women’s World cup is held here in July and August, there will be protests about our human rights violations of asylum seekers.

Anyway, the moral of my story is… No, I do not like the human rights violations going on in China. But people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Reactions: 1 user
When I went to Russia for the world cup in 2018, I received some criticism on social media due to their human rights issues, especially when it comes to LGBTIQA+ people.

Qatar was next. I was fully intending on going until I believed Australia wasn’t gonna qualify, so I pulled the pin. I had friends that went to Russia state they are refusing to go to Qatar due to human rights issues… and they couldn’t believe I was still going.

So, I said to them… “Where do you draw the line on human rights issues? You could just about pick any country in the world and find some violation of human rights, including Australia. I bet you will go to the USA in 2026 knowing they still execute people, fight against women’s reproductive rights and give people access to guns to kill innocent children in schools?”

As it turned out, those guys ended up going to Qatar. And I will guarantee to you that when the Women’s World cup is held here in July and August, there will be protests about our human rights violations of asylum seekers.

Anyway, the moral of my story is… No, I do not like the human rights violations going on in China. But people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Democratic countries aren't perfect ,but we are nothing like some of the Communist or Middle Eastern countries.

Cmon Ian you've been pretty balanced on this thread, don't get the red blinkers back on.

Yeh we have our issues as do some other western countries but please don't compare us on human rights to Russia & Qatar & China etc etc

Follow Navalny's story and say that could happen here?

Moral of your story? Please.

Just say I love football and will watch it anywhere, don't try and justify it.