Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

No, it’s 2020 not 1930, 1950 etc when there were less outlets for people to obtain their information. The internet revolutionised this. And sure, I’ll consume my right wing media but I’m paying for it, not getting a left wing biased view on the taxpayer $.
I reckon those in regions hit by bushfires would be pretty happy Australia still has a tax payer funded ABC.
As are those out of the cities that rely on their local ABC for any sort of local news.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ll await the expose on Billy Shorten screwing his staff.

oh wait, only Libs MPs screw their staff...
they spoke to this, Labor has far more women, that influences culture. That was the point of the story. The last bit is a straw man, nobody has suggested all Labor politicians have always been angels, that ridiculous.

who cares what the outlet is? Its about conflicts of interest, vested interest. We need disinterested media that is owned by the people more than ever.
And we do! Everyone has a voice now, that’s what Twitter, FB etc and the internet in general is doing. That’s what I’m saying, there’s numerous streams for people to obtain their information.

they spoke to this, Labor has far more women, that influences culture. That was the point of the story. The last bit is a straw man, nobody has suggested all Labor politicians have always been angels, that ridiculous.
Yes it is ridiculous, just as well I never claimed it....

Reactions: 1 user
I reckon those in regions hit by bushfires would be pretty happy Australia still has a tax payer funded ABC.
As are those out of the cities that rely on their local ABC for any sort of local news.
Why were they happy to have a TAXPAYER funded ABC?

And we do! Everyone has a voice now, that’s what Twitter, FB etc and the internet in general is doing. That’s what I’m saying, there’s numerous streams for people to obtain their information.

I would argue there is still a place for quality professional journalism. Any idiot can publish nonsense on social media.

Next step will be why do we need science, we can all do our own research in the University of Youtube.

Reactions: 2 users
I would argue there is still a place for quality professional journalism. Any idiot can publish nonsense on social media.
I’m not arguing against quality journalism at all. And yes any idiot can publish nonsense on twitter but you yourself are are big user of Twitter to obtain your news.

Last edited:

An independent government funded media outlet is probably more important now than ever before. Mainstream media has become so ideological that trying to get reporting, instead of opinion, is tough. It also doesn't need to worry about ratings so it will be devoid of clickbait type stories that's everywhere now.

If anything, the ABC should have it's funding increased while also limiting the Governments ability to influence the direction of the ABC.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I’m not arguing against quality journalism at all. And yes any idiot can publish nonsense on twitter you yourself are are big user of Twitter to obtain your news.

You seemed to be saying FB Twitter etc should replace platforms like the ABC. Apols if you aren't saying this.

I use twitter for the memes LOL and sometimes for links to real news sources, or raw data, or whatever. It does get very murky very quickly on Twitter etc though.

Why in 2020 do we even have a taxpayer funded media outlet ? If the people who the ABC pander to want their content they should pay for it via a subscription base.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm quite happy to have my tax go towards funding the ABC.
I'd much rather it be used that way than the way it's used now, such as franking credits and the sporting grants sorts.

Reactions: 4 users
It doesn't say much for the other news providers, the ABC is Australia's most trusted news provider.

No it indeed a sad state of affairs.
I'd argue though that the SBS is way ahead of the ABC in terms of credibility. Mainly because you can access so many different sources on one outlet.

Last edited:
You seemed to be saying FB Twitter etc should replace platforms like the ABC. Apols if you aren't saying this.

I use twitter for the memes LOL and sometimes for links to real news sources, or raw data, or whatever. It does get very murky very quickly on Twitter etc though.
No, I want suggesting that. I’m saying that you can use FB , Twitter etc to obtain your news either from an individual or as a link to a story. There’s a million websites out or alternative news publications like Crikey, newdaily, the conversation just to name a few. I’ll presume there’s YouTube news channels that I presume will suit any political taste too.

Why do we need a taxpayer funded media?

LOL

Let's see how Althom spins this one.

I don't really care who people sleep with, as long as it doesn't affect their profession as politicians. Those who campaign against gay marriage because of "family values" then sleep around don't get a lot of sympathy when they are outed though.
Well let's see.
A journo posts something on Twitter.
Not one single news outlet in Australia picks it up and runs with it.
Not one.
Not even The Guardian wants to run with it.
But of course lets run with what's on Twitter.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why were they happy to have a TAXPAYER funded ABC?
Because it was accurate, and focused on giving people the information they need rather than trying to find the sensational story.
not everywhere has easy, reliable access to the internet, especially in an emergency, so knowing they could listen to the ABC and hear up to date accurate information is essential.

Well let's see.
A journo posts something on Twitter.
Not one single news outlet in Australia picks it up and runs with it.
Not one.
Not even The Guardian wants to run with it.
But of course lets run with what's on Twitter.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it was said on radio, should be easy to verify. Fair enough, let's see what happens.

Next step will be why do we need science, we can all do our own research in the University of Youtube.
Would you describe it as quality journalism? It was seriously not far removed from tabloid tv. WTF was SHY on for? This is what she said:

Senator Hanson-Young said she got the impression the young staffer was feeling "pretty isolated".

"She started crying. And it was quite clear to me that there was a lot more going on than she felt she could say," the senator said.

"From what I saw, and I can only speak from the experience I had, was that this young woman was really, was not happy about the situation she was in, was distressed about it, and she spoke about, she spoke about feeling caught, that she was caught in this situation."

Is that quality journalism or character assassination?

Porter may well be reaping what he has sown but this trash was well below what I would expect from 4 corners.