Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Not as simple as that IMO. A lot of journos/producers there are still left, the board however has changed and editorial has changed. It's a pretty mixed bag at the moment i would say

Yet to hear the much proclaimed left wing bias on the ABC. They are, if anything, traditional conservatives. The opinions given on the ABC range from soft left to soft right.

Then again, traditional conservatives are regarded as pinkos according to the mad right who control most of the media.

What people don't see is the shift in the agenda over the last few decades which means that anything left of QAnon is labelled as radical left these days.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Whether the ABC is right wing or left wing is beside the point. What matters is how it is funded. Some people want to force others to subsidise their consumption of the ABC, which is an immoral position.

Yes yes, governments are great, especially center ones that force my beliefs onto others (actually it would be better if I just made all the decisions), I'm so centered and unbiased, yadda yadda, if you don't like it move to Somalia.

You should move to Somalia, seems to be a dog eat dog system with no government or community control, sounds like just your kind of place.

I doubt they have a government funded media either, you should go for it, I'm sure you could get a visa for a few dollars, actually isn't that just the way you like these things to be decided?

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Bonk a junior member of staff and Morro will back you 100%. Buy a watch for a colleague that has done an outstanding piece of work and Morro will knife you.

Will go down as the worst leader ever in our history.

Last edited:
I'll stand corrected but I believe these incidents took place before the code of conduct was implemented. That is not to excuse the alleged behaviour.
I don't think that's right Ridley, there has always been a code of conduct as there is for any government funded job. The incidents took place before the "bonk ban"

I don't think that's right Ridley, there has always been a code of conduct as there is for any government funded job. The incidents took place before the "bonk ban"
You may be right but I read something about Scomo specifically introducing something along those lines in 2018. Can't recall where I read it though.

The idea that the ABC is a lefty organisation is laughable. 7.30 host Leigh Sales might as well be Scummo's press secretary. Insiders is hosted by David Sky Speers, 80% of its panellists are News hacks, and its Facebook page constantly links to articles in The Australian. Fran Kelly on ABC Breakfast Radio is nothing short of a Liberal Party shill. All of them harangue ALP guests and invite the PM and his ministers to monologue.
Greg Sheridan from The Australian is all over the ABC as well. The Drum is hosted 2 times a week by Julia Baird, the sister of the ex Liberal premier of NSW . ( I should add that I think Julia Baird is a terrific host )
The ABC has gone so far to trying to be seen as non biased it's almost ridiculous but clearly some will always see it another way.

Last edited:
You may be right but I read something about Scomo specifically introducing something along those lines in 2018. Can't recall where I read it though.
He may have changed the Code of Conduct in 2018 but there would have always been one. I don't know if what porter and Tudge did would have contravened the COC when the incidents happened although I am sure there was a catch all about putting yourself in a position where your conduct could see yourself compromised as a Minister of the Crown.
It should be added that the snogging incident with Porter was 2 weeks before he was appointed AG by Malcolm turnbull !!

I'll stand corrected but I believe these incidents took place before the code of conduct was implemented. That is not to excuse the alleged behaviour.
Lucky they didn't have a code of conduct at Buckingham Palace or Westminster, as "The Queen" would be nowhere near as entertaining.

An independent government funded media outlet is probably more important now than ever before. Mainstream media has become so ideological that trying to get reporting, instead of opinion, is tough. It also doesn't need to worry about ratings so it will be devoid of clickbait type stories that's everywhere now.

If anything, the ABC should have it's funding increased while also limiting the Governments ability to influence the direction of the ABC.
Does the BBC face the same accusations in UK? I often go to BBC sites for global news as they have a lot of correspondents on the ground.
And I'm not smart enough to work out if the Brit reporter in say Turkey is pushing an agenda.

they spoke to this, Labor has far more women, that influences culture. That was the point of the story. The last bit is a straw man, nobody has suggested all Labor politicians have always been angels, that ridiculous.
Like the way Gareth Evans "influenced" Cheryl Kernot to bail on the Democrats.

Does the BBC face the same accusations in UK? I often go to BBC sites for global news as they have a lot of correspondents on the ground.
And I'm not smart enough to work out if the Brit reporter in say Turkey is pushing an agenda.

From the BBC chairman's mouth:

People over the age of 50 believe the BBC is dominated by liberals, while students think it is part of a right-wing establishment, the corporation’s chairman has said.

Speaking during an online event, Sir David Clementi said accusations of BBC bias are “very age-related” because “once you get over 50 there are a significant number of people who are convinced that we all live in Islington”.

“If you speak to a younger generation they occasionally think we are part of the establishment and we lean to the right,” he continued.

It's probably the same here in Australia about the ABC. Personally for World News, the BBC is the place I tend to go to first.

Reactions: 2 users

Sometimes, but more of an embedded institution there than even our beloved ABC here.

They pay for it through the "Television licence" so if you buy a TV you have to pay a separate tax fee somehow. They used to have men in vans with special detectors who drove through the streets looking for unlicensed tvs -LOL . dunno if they still do that. I illegally watch BBC tv through the internet using a VPN, quality TV sometimes.

Would you describe it as quality journalism? It was seriously not far removed from tabloid tv. WTF was SHY on for? This is what she said:

Senator Hanson-Young said she got the impression the young staffer was feeling "pretty isolated".

"She started crying. And it was quite clear to me that there was a lot more going on than she felt she could say," the senator said.

"From what I saw, and I can only speak from the experience I had, was that this young woman was really, was not happy about the situation she was in, was distressed about it, and she spoke about, she spoke about feeling caught, that she was caught in this situation."

Is that quality journalism or character assassination?

Porter may well be reaping what he has sown but this trash was well below what I would expect from 4 corners.

This was probably the worst piece of evidence presented in the show. A young woman crying, not happy, distressed........ Not nice state of being, but hardly a smoking gun.

Bonk a junior member of staff and Morro will back you 100%. Buy a watch for a colleague that has done an outstanding piece of work and Morro will knife you.

I've taken dumps with more class than our current leader
And most likely more substance too.

The rational, objective reason has been stated repeatedly, a media that is owned and run by the people, and is not a business with a profit motive, is not conflicteted and will call things without fear or favour.

That's the reason, that's the theory. You don't have to agree with it and you obviously don't, but that is the resounding reason. Its a central tenet of democracy.
Thing is when it comes to newspapers I don't think there has ever been in English speaking democracies a serious government run one. Papers have since the days of Fleet St been owned by individuals or corporations. And all with some "ethos" or bias. All with a profit motive and many made their owners rich but the papers became entrenched culturally and politically. It is what makes the press free. The Age often runs the founder Syme creed and it sits pretty well with what it tries to do today, but it has been unable to fully resist the urge to be counterweight to the Sun .

If you ever want to know what a govt mouthpiece looks like Singapores Straits Times is your poster paper.