Terrorist Attacks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist Attacks

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
jumper10.jpg

Shocking picture, stats man. However, can you remind me of the link 9/11 had to Iraq?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
scottyturnerscurse said:
Shocking picture, stats man. However, can you remind me of the link 9/11 had to Iraq?

It was the second leg of a planned operation to stabilise the entire region in which the Iraqi government was the leading sponsor of terrorism. They never made it to other *smile*ed-up places like Syria and Somalia.

A question for you. France opposed the invasion and has given sanctuary to more Muslims than any other country. What have they done to deserve what is being inflicted upon their people?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Interesting word. How do you think that went?

Not well, obviously. Alternative was to sit back and hope 9/11 never happened again.

The politics were extremely complex and I don't pretend to understand the intricacies. Certainly, Iran was developing nuclear capability and was hostile to the US at the time. Given the ongoing enmity between Iran and Iraq and Saddam's propensity for attacking other countries, there was a high risk/inevitability that nuclear weapons would fall into the hands of terrorists, and that simply couldn't be allowed to happen.

Evidence of WMD in Iraq was sketchy and I agree, a front for the UN to sanction the invasion. It had been a long-term goal to overthrow Saddam, and 9/11 gave the US a reason to do it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tigers of Old said:
Interesting word. How do you think that went?

certainly stabilised haliburton and the US military industries earnings for a decade or two.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
France opposed the invasion and has given sanctuary to more Muslims than any other country.

That's largely because of their colonial history in North Africa - Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco etc were subjugated by the French.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Evidence of WMD in Iraq was sketchy and I agree, a front for the UN to sanction the invasion.

A sanction that was never forthcoming as I'm sure you know. The Russians and French were right on in this respect.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:
A sanction that was never forthcoming as I'm sure you know. The Russians and French were right on in this respect.

No UN member asked the UN to declare the war illegal because they knew the action was absolutely necessary.

"The US is evil" is yet another product of the lefties. They'd do well to comprehend that sometimes it's necessary to act if they want to continue to sip their lattes in safety. Peace doesn't just happen.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yeah our "peace" and "safety" was at the forefront of Bush and Cheyneys mind.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Harry said:
Yeah our "peace" and "safety" was at the forefront of Bush and Cheyneys mind.

You could speculate endlessly as to the motives, as many have done. Whatever side benefits may have accrued, I prefer to believe the overriding driver for the US (and for Australia's support) was national security.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
"The US is evil" is yet another product of the lefties. They'd do well to comprehend that sometimes it's necessary to act if they want to continue to sip their lattes in safety. Peace doesn't just happen.

You are right of course. We should such tough decisions to Bush, Blair and Howard. They know best.

Couldn't possibly make anything worse eh old chap?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I thought it was a known fact that the war in Iraq is simply because Saddam had "tried to kill my Daddy" or so Dubya saud

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:
You are right of course. We should such tough decisions to Bush, Blair and Howard. They know best.

Couldn't possibly make anything worse eh old chap?

Hey I'm a pacifist. But to do nothing and hope Islamic terrorists stop attacking Western targets would've been inviting our demise.

9/11 was the game-changer, not the Iraq invasion.

Was the outcome ideal? No. Is the world less safe as a result? You can't answer definitively.