The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Perfect chance last year
Had Coleman Jones and Chol wanting to leave trade for a mid.
Instead of pick 20 give us Simpkin
Instead of pick 35 give us Sexton, a true mid sized forward.
Really poor list management over the last preseason.
My set up wouldve been use 3 picks on kids
Then use the others to bring in ready made midfielders .
No way North would give up Simpkin and who is Sexton ? Have to love supporters who come up with unrealistic options and ignore things like salary caps.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
No way North would give up Simpkin and who is Sexton ? Have to love supporters who come up with unrealistic options and ignore things like salary caps.
We couldve had more retire.
Who's eating all our Cap?
Rance Astbury Houli all gone.
We need midfielders blind Freddy couldve seen it..
Sexton the mid sized goal kicker at GC in and out of the side all last year.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Or concede our run is over and invest heavily in the draft. That's how we built this team and it's how we'll build the next one. It's the only way.

That's the conclusion I've come too. Start building the next dynasty which should start winning Premierships from 2025 onwards

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Really from 2008-09 this bloke hasn't added a quality midfielder to our team through the draft.
Prestia is the king.
Ellis x2 one ok player and one that would match Danny Meyer.
Conca. Pure leader that's what they said.
He mightve have been a leader but he was a very average footballer.
Vickery. Not a top 30 went top 10.
Lennon, zero footballer
Collier Dawkins and Dow covid interruptions haven't helped but they seem not to have progressed .
Massive list changes at the end of this year. Either the keep adding or stick to the draft

Tortured Tiger

Jan 24, 2005
I think these players have deserved the right to retire when they are due and not turfed out, that isn't the culture that has been built. Lynch has a back ended contract and Bolton got a much improved contract. so there is some of the money gone for starters. I agree, we definitely need class midfielders but it isn't that easy. The cap and draft is designed so teams can't stay at the top for ever and it is starting to hit us now. Sexton is 28 and a good player but inconsistent and probably on very big money up there and hardly a priority anyway.

Reactions: 1 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I think these players have deserved the right to retire when they are due and not turfed out, that isn't the culture that has been built. Lynch has a back ended contract and Bolton got a much improved contract. so there is some of the money gone for starters. I agree, we definitely need class midfielders but it isn't that easy. The cap and draft is designed so teams can't stay at the top for ever and it is starting to hit us now. Sexton is 28 and a good player but inconsistent and probably on very big money up there and hardly a priority anyway.
From an emotional POV I agree, but from the POV of sitting on the couch watching the total decimation of this golden era last night the club should have done what it knew had to be done and retired club legends.
Anyway we are in all sorts from a list perspective and now isn't the time to start taking short cuts. Go to the draft and start loading up on high end talent and strategically get players through free agency who fill specific needs.
I think with where we will find ourselves at years end we will struggle to get a big name in a trade or FA. Our short term future will be bleak as we rebuild so unless it is about the $$$ why would a gun come to the Tigers to hack around in the bottom 8?

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

If we wanted to play a slow mid sized goalkicker, we would play Caddy. No need to give away draft picks like you are suggesting on a 28 year old that we already have a similar player to.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Or concede our run is over and invest heavily in the draft. That's how we built this team and it's how we'll build the next one. It's the only way.

Agree. We can still look at other clubs players, but we do need to invest in the draft. We can look at free agents but at this stage its probably not a good time to be trading out draft picks for ready made players. Our next group is our 23-24 year olds, adding players in that age bracket should be our focus, so might even be a bit early to be looking at free agents.

Tortured Tiger

Jan 24, 2005
From an emotional POV I agree, but from the POV of sitting on the couch watching the total decimation of this golden era last night the club should have done what it knew had to be done and retired club legends.
Anyway we are in all sorts from a list perspective and now isn't the time to start taking short cuts. Go to the draft and start loading up on high end talent and strategically get players through free agency who fill specific needs.
I think with where we will find ourselves at years end we will struggle to get a big name in a trade or FA. Our short term future will be bleak as we rebuild so unless it is about the $$$ why would a gun come to the Tigers to hack around in the bottom 8?
I agree ,it is a fine line Ghost. I think the club may of given Bachar a gentle nudge as it was and I guess we and the club just have to trust the players to do the right thing and I have no reason to think they won't.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Geez there's some sulking and irrational posting going on after 1 game.

After a decade of winning round 1 it's like some don't cope with losing a game.

Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Geez there's some sulking and irrational posting going on after 1 game.

After a decade of winning round 1 it's like some don't cope with losing a game.

I think part of it was the way we lost, just smashed in the middle. Not a good sign, not panic stations either.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Agree 100%. IF Dave and Houli were still here, AND if both or either of Cotch and Jack were even slightly less than absolute legends of our club, AND we had a swag of young guns bashing the door down, maybe they'd have a point.

The reality is we have started the regeneration with Dave and Bachar, Cotch stepping down as Captain, and Jack in the last year of his contract. Also the benefits ($$) of nudging TC and JR out the door last season would have been outweighed by the costs (losing leadership and experience, culture) in any case.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Reckon the group had 1 more tilt. Not sure now. Just needed to bring in some additional class in the guts. List management pulled the wrong strings last yr imho.

I know he has his critics but gee I'm starting to warm to young Tommy G. The beast we need in the guts.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
How we won so many flags with this blokes track record has me screwed..
Thank God for rookie draft.
Maybe we should tell Blair and Clarke the national draft is the rookie draft and the preseason draft is the national draft.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
We won 2017-19-20. We where poor in the clearances in all those year's.
We have a decent back line and forward line ,what we need to do is apply more pressure around clearances ,and read the play better,l would love to know how many of our hit outs go straight to the opposition .

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
I know it is sacrilege, but I would trade Dusty to GWS. Retire Cotch Retire Jack
Recruit Tom Green + 1st round pick (or even 2 first) swap for Dusty

Recruit another elite midfielder and another midfield workhorse.

I absolutely love Dusty but his clock is ticking and his salary is huge.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
I know it is sacrilege, but I would trade Dusty to GWS. Retire Cotch Retire Jack

You would trade out our best player in a generation (and in my mind, the greatest player ever) because he's not quite as good as he was 12 months ago? Based on one game in 2022?

Go sit in the corner and think about what you just posted, young man.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
the only way to get gun mids for flags is to recruit them and unless u bottom out you dont get access to them, DO Not make the prestia example, as we drafted the core Cotchin, Dusty, edwards and could afford the 1 ring in top up, now our prolific mids are cooked, we need to re build it, its ok it happens.
We cant sell the farm for Tom Greene we opted to reward Dusty and brought in lynch.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

yeah it’s sacrilege your right there but otherwise - no way.