The call we have to make | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The call we have to make

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Crossroads.

2-3 with Melbourne to come.

Soldo must play as ruck #1 because Nankervis is trying - and failing - to get by purely as a battering ram.

We must jettison unskilled labourers - Parker, Aarts, Ross - but these are easy changes and will not in isolation salvage our 2022 campaign.

Jack must go. It’s time. Can’t jump, can’t burst, can’t separate. Can hyena a goal or two but is getting in the way of Lynch and Balta whilst applying zero defensive pressure.

If we are to play Soldo and thus get more leather moving at the coal face against the top side in the comp, Jack must make way to give his comrades more space and to allow for the resting ruck to drift forward.

Crossroads call. Coaching staff integrity call. Are the assistants a bunch of yes men or can they advocate for renewal?

Are we still in the fight for 2022 or are we humouring faded stars with an extended victory lap with one eye firmly on the national draft?

Or, worst of all, are we once again crippled by poor decision making?

We will find out in the next month.

Reactions: 13 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I can't believe Jack wasn't Houlied. Chol would be handy now. We aren't gonna tank it up yet. But I imagine by the halfway point all options will be on the table.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Crossroads.

Soldo must play as ruck #1 because Nankervis is trying - and failing - to get by purely as a battering ram.

We must jettison unskilled labourers - Parker, Aarts, Ross - but these are easy changes and will not in isolation salvage our 2022 campaign.

Jack must go. It’s time. Can’t jump, can’t burst, can’t separate. Can hyena a goal or two but is getting in the way of Lynch and Balta whilst applying zero defensive pressure.

If we are to play Soldo and thus get more leather moving at the coal face against the top side in the comp, Jack must make way to give his comrades more space and to allow for the resting ruck to drift forward.

Crossroads call. Coaching staff integrity call. Are the assistants a bunch of yes men or can they advocate for renewal?

Are we still in the fight for 2022 or are we humouring faded stars with an extended victory lap with one eye firmly on the national draft?

Yep. Definite loss next week and possibly against WC. So at 2-5, calls should be made as it's basically season over by then.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
You can still strive to be competitive without tipping out all our stars. Youth brings that. Skilled footballers like Sonsie, Clarke and dare I say it Stack.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
We are a team in decline. To deny this is like denying gravity. If we had another young KPP I would be all for a swap with Jack but we don’t. Keep investing games into the younger players

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
You can still strive to be competitive without tipping out all our stars. Youth brings that. Skilled footballers like Sonsie, Clarke and dare I say it Stack.

Just one Aces - Riewoldt

Who knows? The selection decision might be a watershed moment for all our younger players.

A changing of the guard could spark them, allow them to believe that senior games are attainable now that the old guard is crumbling.

Dropping Jack sends all kinds of messages to the group.

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Just one Aces - Riewoldt

Who knows? The selection decision might be a watershed moment for all our younger players.

A changing of the guard could spark them, allow them to believe that senior games are attainable now that the old guard is crumbling.

Dropping Jack sends all kinds of messages to the group.
Jack won’t get dropped. He will dictate when he doesn’t play. Hardwick will give him that honour.

The young players will see the watershed moment when their spots are no longer taken by unskilled footballers.

Reactions: 10 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Jack won’t get dropped. He will dictate when he doesn’t play. Hardwick will give him that honour.

The young players will see the watershed moment when their spots are no longer taken by unskilled footballers.

Yes.

Ross Aarts Parker give 100% but are representative of moneyball gone wild.

Time to pull the trigger on skill.

Stack, Sonsie, Clarke circling like dancers.

This team needs an infusion of silk

Reactions: 6 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Also, if we are in the business of letting Jack dictate when he plays then 2022 is nothing but a jubilee and we should look to a grand haul at the national draft.

Reactions: 4 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Yes.

Ross Aarts Parker give 100% but are representative of moneyball gone wild.

Time to pull the trigger on skill.

Stack, Sonsie, Clarke circling like dancers.

This team needs an infusion of silk
Now we are talking.
We all bemoan the stand rule. But this is easily counteracted with players with elite footskills. Hardwick has implemented this with the likes of Rioli, Short out the backline but is still stuck in 2020 with the players he uses forward of centre.

Reactions: 3 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
On the subject of jubilee, I am ok with it as long as we make the decision now.

Jack, Trent and Shane get carried out, we free up a gazillion $ of cap space and we head to the ND with saddle bags of high picks.

Blair Hartley loves the idea of grand jubilee. He’s cutting up ticker tape as we speak

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Crossroads.

Time we kicked sentiment out of the door and start use the kids who will try as their futures depend on their success. They may well screw up at times but at least they will put the effort in. Dow and Ralphsmith are examples of improvement in playing kids. Our problem is the MC are too conservative and do not want to change the formulae

Reactions: 4 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I can't believe Jack wasn't Houlied. Chol would be handy now. We aren't gonna tank it up yet. But I imagine by the halfway point all options will be on the table.
Chol had 4 disposals in his game today. Didn't get a touch after half time.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Been a hell of a ride.
All successful teams must make a call. We need to do it now to see where our kids are at.
Exciting times.

Reactions: 6 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Disappointing.

Positive threads are more enjoyable reads, and these post-loss witch-hunts haven't aged well over the years.

Best for all of us to learn to recognise the frustration and move on. Remember, we all sound 110% dumber than usual after a loss, including myself, which is why I'm using phrases like "110% dumber".

• Haha

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
I reckon the club knows exactly where the team is at, and was hoping like the rest of us that they could get one more good year out of champs like Riewoldt and Cotchin, whilst in their hearts they knew they were done.

And I can understand that cutting players like that last year would have been seen as too ruthless by many.

The likes of Parker and Aarts however I don’t understand; It’s like driving with the hand brake on.

Reactions: 7 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Balta was good in the ruck during the 3rd.
Just shows the importance of a good ruckman.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
At 2-5 they should make the call and allow the champions to play out the season on their terms and in the process we end up with a top 3 pick and the youngsters we just picked up can gain confidence in the VFL ready to go next year. The tougher calls need to be made on the likes or RCD, Martyn etc. These kids are busts and we are better to go hard at the draft and cut our losses