The call we have to make | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The call we have to make

The game has changed, it always does.

We are on the slide, but I'd take 4 years with 3 flags over 10 years of making the PF or GF and winning none any day.

The stars are dimming, but they get to run around because they are the stars who brought us 3 flags.

Time to sit back and assess where we are and where we need to go.

Ok, Riewoldt, Shedda and Cotchin - they get to run around for the rest of the year, with some games off "managed". Shedda, if he regains form, may be able to go on but he needs to find form soon. Lambert is also a worry, his injury suggests he will struggle to play much from now on.

We need a clear assessment of the younger players as to where they are at, and who will be in the next Richmond team to be a contender:
Parker - appears to be not up to AFL level, has been given a chance but not consistent enough.
Aarts - another not up to AFL level and has been given a fair number of games, not good enough.
RCD - NFI, get games into him at AFL level and let's see if he is good enough before the end of 2022 and make a decision.
Dow - keep playing him, can be good enough, maybe some missed games to manage him, still young.
Graham - play for a few more games and then maybe back to VFL to see if he can improve, decision at end of contract.
Sonsie - get some games into him at AFL level.
Ross - play him in the guts for maybe 3-5 games, if he can't make it there, forget it. He is no winger, not quick enough. His role needs to be get ball, spread, otherwise goodbye.
Soldo - keep, he has shown he can be good enough, back in the seniors when he has more confidence.
Gibcus - keep playing in AFL with some weeks off as he is young and it is a long season.
Clarke - get some games at AFL level.
Banks - games at AFL level
Ralphsmith - persist, shows signs, seems quick, can work on disposals, is young and needs more experience.
Stack - so difficult, I would keep him in the VFL until he shows he has the fitness for AFL, then a few games.
Brown - games at AFL level.
Mansell - games at AFL level
Ryan - develop in VFL, young tall will take time, find opportunities to play at AFL level.
Martyn - hmm, difficult, maybe see how he goes at VFL level with a view to a game or 2 at AFL level.
Cumberland - games at AFL level
Nyuon - games at AFL level
Miller - persist, has height, can run, decent disposal. Is confidence the factor? I don't know, but has potential to be a solid if unspectacular defender.
MRJ - looks to be a project, can he play in the middle? I don't know but let's try and, if not, can he be an effective small forward?

What we need to be thinking is whether a player would fit in a team that is able to contend for a flag. We are at the point where the older stars have dimmed too much to contend again, they deserve our respect and thanks and for that they get to continue until the end of 2022. But, we need to be looking at our next contending team, and understand it will be a few years away. 2022 is already looking like a write off so getting some games into the youngsters, seeing whether those who have been around for 2 or 3 years can make it and getting games into the youngsters is the way forward. The older players can also be playing at least partially to direct and teach the younger players, they may not be able to win flags any more but they can pass on the wisdom of those who have won flags.

DS
I will die happy now having seen 3 premierships.

Will take a lot of skill to get the club back up again on the podium within the next 10 years. Reality is we need at least one top 3 pick and hope they snare top line mids that you can then build a midfield around. Cotch and Dusty (in their prime) are irreplaceable.

Reactions: 3 users
The game has changed, it always does.

We are on the slide, but I'd take 4 years with 3 flags over 10 years of making the PF or GF and winning none any day.

The stars are dimming, but they get to run around because they are the stars who brought us 3 flags.

Time to sit back and assess where we are and where we need to go.

Ok, Riewoldt, Shedda and Cotchin - they get to run around for the rest of the year, with some games off "managed". Shedda, if he regains form, may be able to go on but he needs to find form soon. Lambert is also a worry, his injury suggests he will struggle to play much from now on.

We need a clear assessment of the younger players as to where they are at, and who will be in the next Richmond team to be a contender:
Parker - appears to be not up to AFL level, has been given a chance but not consistent enough.
Aarts - another not up to AFL level and has been given a fair number of games, not good enough.
RCD - NFI, get games into him at AFL level and let's see if he is good enough before the end of 2022 and make a decision.
Dow - keep playing him, can be good enough, maybe some missed games to manage him, still young.
Graham - play for a few more games and then maybe back to VFL to see if he can improve, decision at end of contract.
Sonsie - get some games into him at AFL level.
Ross - play him in the guts for maybe 3-5 games, if he can't make it there, forget it. He is no winger, not quick enough. His role needs to be get ball, spread, otherwise goodbye.
Soldo - keep, he has shown he can be good enough, back in the seniors when he has more confidence.
Gibcus - keep playing in AFL with some weeks off as he is young and it is a long season.
Clarke - get some games at AFL level.
Banks - games at AFL level
Ralphsmith - persist, shows signs, seems quick, can work on disposals, is young and needs more experience.
Stack - so difficult, I would keep him in the VFL until he shows he has the fitness for AFL, then a few games.
Brown - games at AFL level.
Mansell - games at AFL level
Ryan - develop in VFL, young tall will take time, find opportunities to play at AFL level.
Martyn - hmm, difficult, maybe see how he goes at VFL level with a view to a game or 2 at AFL level.
Cumberland - games at AFL level
Nyuon - games at AFL level
Miller - persist, has height, can run, decent disposal. Is confidence the factor? I don't know, but has potential to be a solid if unspectacular defender.
MRJ - looks to be a project, can he play in the middle? I don't know but let's try and, if not, can he be an effective small forward?

What we need to be thinking is whether a player would fit in a team that is able to contend for a flag. We are at the point where the older stars have dimmed too much to contend again, they deserve our respect and thanks and for that they get to continue until the end of 2022. But, we need to be looking at our next contending team, and understand it will be a few years away. 2022 is already looking like a write off so getting some games into the youngsters, seeing whether those who have been around for 2 or 3 years can make it and getting games into the youngsters is the way forward. The older players can also be playing at least partially to direct and teach the younger players, they may not be able to win flags any more but they can pass on the wisdom of those who have won flags.

DS
That’s pretty well spot on - great summary. Older players deserve our respect and can effectively be on field coaches for the rest of 2022.

My only two points of difference is I’ll be surprised if Dow makes it (far too timid, not clean enough and poor kick) and I’ll be surprised if RCD makes it (no running ability). I’ve already written off the ones you have listed.

I’d probably just play Stack at AFL level - some players never respond at a lower level & he’s one of those I suspect. Give him 4-5 weeks as last chance.

The structure of this side needs to be sorted out too. Agree we have to play two proper rucks (and Balta isn’t one), but Lynch & Jack are too slow/immobile to have in same forward line plus Balta plus a resting ruck. Plus they just have to separate - always competing for same bomb kicks.

If Balta is to be a long term CHF, then one of Jack/Lynch needs to go now. It’d be the latter for me - Lynch just doesn’t /can’t move or jump. This is our biggest issue with two years on his contract.

All eyes on VFL today - there’s AFL spots to be had for a team now well & truly in transition.

A lot of disappointment arising from a defeat by Adelaide.
At the beginning of the season no one would have put us there and yet here we are.
Three things emerge. We have tried to get one more year out of champions of the past, and it just isn’t there.
Another is that games are being given to players who give a 100%, but who just don’t have the necessary skill level to contribute on a consistent basis when they do get the ball or near it.
(Can’t think that the M Cttee are now other than aware of both of the above).
The third concerns the recent rule changes, about which our approach has been confused.
Yesterday we played a pre rule change game with players giving there all to get the ball forward without a care for how it was going in.
Adelaide are not a better team, but they were better coached.
We have suffered since the “changes” by injury of one sort or another but it is our failure to respond to the rule changes, which has had the greater impact.

Reactions: 2 users
Too many on here are trying to complicate our down fall.
Our best player is on a break..
Our champions aren't influencing games
And our kids a very average.
Next

Reactions: 2 users
I reckon our cupboard is bare.
We should've traded in players last year another mid & winger, but we used 5 picks like they thought the same 22 could win us another flag.
Where's the speed? We look soooo slow.
We thought we could make another challenge. I don’t mind taking the risk for one last hurrah.
What really hurt us is the lack of talent in the coaches box.

Reactions: 1 user
Said to.my mates Clarkson coached for 6 more years after his last flag and got them nowhere near another one. Are we prepared to have Dimma in the box until 2026 before booting him?
We’re already on a very different path to Hawthorn post premierships. They traded away years of picks for Patton, Scully, Mitchell, O’Meara and Wingard. Last year alone we took 5 kids from the draft inside the first 30 picks. We are already looking at another 3 picks inside the top 30 again this year.

Reactions: 11 users
We thought we could make another challenge. I don’t mind taking the risk for one last hurrah.
What really hurt us is the lack of talent in the coaches box.
I agree the lack of cohesion in the forward half and lack of ability to stop the opposition at clearances is a major concern and a big chunk of that responsibility lies with the coaching staff. Seemingly there is no plan other than kick to a crowded pack, Lynch and Riewoldt flying for the same mark is low percentage--but are they being coached to do that? We seem to have lost our willingness to work for each other.

Reactions: 1 users
We’re already on a very different path to Hawthorn post premierships. They traded away years of picks for Patton, Scully, Mitchell, O’Meara and Wingard. Last year alone we took 5 kids from the draft inside the first 30 picks. We are already looking at another 3 picks inside the top 30 again this year.
Spot on.

Is it possible that one of the downsides of all the "connection" "be yourself" stuff that has been a factor in our success is now a barrier to making the hard calls?
One of my earliest football memories is the banners the cheer squads would hang on the fence before ads took precedence. And t h e one that stood out to me was RUTHLESS RICHMOND. we need some of that mindset now.
And look how well that turned out :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I like the fact that we are obviously trying to get young players in rather than older stars. Not that we can afford to top up for another premiership bid - we did that with Tom and damn if it didn't work. :cupgold Loved Tarrant's arrival by the way (obvious exception to the kids rule), keeps our structure, not too expensive and releases Balta from standing in the defensive goal square. Structure and maintaining the competitiveness and professionalism of the playing group (think Kane Johnson), is the only reason to bring in older players now.

For all the angst which will occur this year, the majority of our aging/injured champions will leave with hopefully some grace at the end of the year as their form and that of the team identifies the new reality. They'll soon get to start their new roles for RFC as champions that investors for the club will want to be with and talk to.

We are going back to the 80s and 90s though. Too many players now to retire out, list cloggers to remove or kids showing nothing, than the club can turn over in a year . Too much money to be forced to pay out. I await the return of endless posts on PRE why XYZ shouldn't also be on the bus to somewhere else. Yep the posters will be right but the club won't be wrong keeping them either. A case of needing to "prioritise", where low turnover at the end of the year will be the only unforgivable curse. I haven't missed those days. I remain astonished and grateful as a long time supporter that for what - seven years or so, that they did end.

Well lets "pray" for divine prescience in the recruiting department and miracles in player development. Off field the club is strong and it's their turn now.

Reactions: 4 users
The old adage springs to mind, "things are never as good or as bad as they seem".

We're at the end of the club's most successful cycle since the late 60s to early 80s. Champions of the club will likely depart at the end of this season (Cotchin, Edwards, Riewoldt, Martin (?)) who are irreplaceable. That's potentially more than 1000+ games of AFL experience out the door in one off-season. What does this mean given where we find ourselves now? A few thoughts (Rather meandering and long-winded but humour me):

1. Rebuilds, or re-tooling on the fly are hard. Very few, if any clubs, are able to do them while remaining competitive. Geelong the noticeable exception. We look to have recognised this, by looking to hit the draft hard in 2021, and again in 2022. I think the more optimistic comparison (albeit without the added benefit of the Academy) is Sydney. Stockpile picks as many picks as possible in the top 30, and keep getting them through the door.

2. What becomes of our middle class? People focus on the top end of talent we've had from 2017-2020 (really 2013-2020) and rightfully so. Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Lynch, Prestia, Grimes, Edwards, and Vlastuin have been elite footballers for a long time. Elite footballers win you finals and win you flags. But your middle class of players is what gets you to finals. The club needs to think long and hard about some of these players now and whether it takes some short term pain in getting the best deal for them. Baker, Graham, Short, Rioli, Lambert, Broad, Soldo, Castagna, McIntosh, Pickett. There's still some value there, but if these players aren't going to become elite, then the club needs to make some tough calls imo. Rioli, Short and Baker all stand out in that regard. Could we get an additional first round pick by letting Short or Rioli go? Has to be considered.

3. The rule changes. Too much complaining has been done on here and elsewhere, by supporters and the club alike in this regard. We all know that the rule changes were done deliberately, and had our gameplan in mind. Hocking admitted as much. You know what, so what? Like I said in the match thread for Adelaide, "adapt or die" and we haven't adapted and continue to be penalised for it. The rules aren't changing, so what use is it complaining? The gameplan needs to be changed to better fit within the current rules. Given the emphasis on footskills from our last draft, it looks as though the club is aware of this.

4. The coaching structure has seen a real brain drain since the halcyon days. Caracella, Rutten, McRae, Leppitsch. That is a rockstar coaching panel. Either former senior coaches or current senior coaches / caretakers. Apart from Kingsley, there's a lot of inexperience in our current coaching panel. I don't think Teague has done poorly with the forward line, but the jury is out still. If I was Andrew McQualter I would be pretty nervous. The midfield, while being undermanned has been consistently average to terrible this season.

5. Circling back to point 1, looking at our current list, who are our young players with the potential to be elite based on what they have currently shown? Balta, Gibcus and Bolton imo. This is what happens when you have relatively consistent success, you don't shop at the top tier of the draft. We have done very well to net Balta and Bolton in the 20s. Gibcus is our first top 10 pick since Vlastuin. Martin, Cotchin, Lynch, Edwards, Rance, Prestia, Vlastuin were all first rounders or close to it. That's a spine and that's what we need to be focused on. Balta, Gibcus and Bolton is a pretty good start, but we need another 3 or 4 guys who then become elite and hope that the 3 aforementioned all kick on further.

6. Perhaps most worryingly, there seem to be a number of younger players on the list who seem to be at a crossroads, either based on what they have shown at AFL, or by their continued omission at AFL level. Dimma is often accused of playing favourites. I think this is one of the bigger misconceptions about him. He's shown that if a young player is up to it, they will be played. Butler, Castagna, Short, Rioli, Baker, Gibcus, Balta, Bolton, Higgins etc. were all played and played relatively early. Why? Because they showed they were up to the level. Stack, RCD, CCJ, Chol etc. haven't played consistently at AFL level. Why? Because they're likely not up to it for a variety of reasons, be it talent, temperament, consistency or other flaws. I'm happy for the coaches and list management to make these decisions, but I feel like we are approaching a stage where we need to know for sure whether guys such as Stack, RCD, Martyn, Dow, Cumberland, Nyuon, Miller etc. can do it or not and this is probably as good a season as any to find out.

7. Finally, I think there's probably a worthwhile discussion to have on the coach. O'Neal is leaving, Gale may leave, Balme probably does not have many years left. Much like the assistant coach ranks, another possibly massive brain drain. Where does that leave Dimma? Personally, 10+ years in the same job is a long time for anyone, and it's natural that people get stale or insular in their thinking. The world has changed since the days of Sheedy or Sir Alex Ferguson. Is Dimma the man to lead a rebuild? I don't know, but he certainly deserves a chance to. However, I would suggest that he needs a fresh batch of assistants with new ideas to give him the best chance.

So the point of the above tome? Some stuff to be concerned about, but some stuff to be thankful for.

• Love
Reactions: 24 users
Firstly we need someone to stand up in the two's, no one has been setting that team alight. How Aarts keeps getting the sub role is beyond me.
Without supporting his selection I’d say it’s because the young guns all need full matches to build form and fitness. I would also hazard a guess that they are trying to protect young fellas from getting smashed up before they are ready. The perception is probably that asaarts is a plug and play role player on any line. Personally I’d prefer someone else.

Is there a right or wrong way to retire champions? Should Jack have been retired last year? A case can be made for yes or no, hindsight is suggesting yes.

Got to give credit to the Crows yesterday, as much as I hate to. They set up very well down back and with our forward entries we made it too easy for them.

I wouldn't might seeing the 3 tall forwards for a couple more games. If it is persisted with, Balta should play a bit higher. His pace will trouble sides and open up the forward line. It's just too congested at the moment.

The bullet needs to be bitten, out Aarts and Parker. Bring in at least 2 of Sonsie, MoJo and RCD so the old warrior Cotchin can help to guide them.

Grimes is a massive out, he organises us so well down there, we are really missing his guidance.

As has been mentioned, the last few years has been a hell of a ride, and the thrill of a lifetime. Change is happening, last week we had Gibcus, Hugo, Dow and Miller in the side against the Dogs.

I haven't seen the game but I have seen one stat that was a favourite indicator of L2's for when a team is on the slide: we were one year and 11 months older per man than the Crows. That's a significant difference that heavily correlates to wins. Once you start losing games (plural) with that gap, you are cooked.

Reactions: 11 users
The old adage springs to mind, "things are never as good or as bad as they seem".

We're at the end of the club's most successful cycle since the late 60s to early 80s. Champions of the club will likely depart at the end of this season (Cotchin, Edwards, Riewoldt, Martin (?)) who are irreplaceable. That's potentially more than 1000+ games of AFL experience out the door in one off-season. What does this mean given where we find ourselves now? A few thoughts (Rather meandering and long-winded but humour me):

1. Rebuilds, or re-tooling on the fly are hard. Very few, if any clubs, are able to do them while remaining competitive. Geelong the noticeable exception. We look to have recognised this, by looking to hit the draft hard in 2021, and again in 2022. I think the more optimistic comparison (albeit without the added benefit of the Academy) is Sydney. Stockpile picks as many picks as possible in the top 30, and keep getting them through the door.

2. What becomes of our middle class? People focus on the top end of talent we've had from 2017-2020 (really 2013-2020) and rightfully so. Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Lynch, Prestia, Grimes, Edwards, and Vlastuin have been elite footballers for a long time. Elite footballers win you finals and win you flags. But your middle class of players is what gets you to finals. The club needs to think long and hard about some of these players now and whether it takes some short term pain in getting the best deal for them. Baker, Graham, Short, Rioli, Lambert, Broad, Soldo, Castagna, McIntosh, Pickett. There's still some value there, but if these players aren't going to become elite, then the club needs to make some tough calls imo. Rioli, Short and Baker all stand out in that regard. Could we get an additional first round pick by letting Short or Rioli go? Has to be considered.

3. The rule changes. Too much complaining has been done on here and elsewhere, by supporters and the club alike in this regard. We all know that the rule changes were done deliberately, and had our gameplan in mind. Hocking admitted as much. You know what, so what? Like I said in the match thread for Adelaide, "adapt or die" and we haven't adapted and continue to be penalised for it. The rules aren't changing, so what use is it complaining? The gameplan needs to be changed to better fit within the current rules. Given the emphasis on footskills from our last draft, it looks as though the club is aware of this.

4. The coaching structure has seen a real brain drain since the halcyon days. Caracella, Rutten, McRae, Leppitsch. That is a rockstar coaching panel. Either former senior coaches or current senior coaches / caretakers. Apart from Kingsley, there's a lot of inexperience in our current coaching panel. I don't think Teague has done poorly with the forward line, but the jury is out still. If I was Andrew McQualter I would be pretty nervous. The midfield, while being undermanned has been consistently average to terrible this season.

5. Circling back to point 1, looking at our current list, who are our young players with the potential to be elite based on what they have currently shown? Balta, Gibcus and Bolton imo. This is what happens when you have relatively consistent success, you don't shop at the top tier of the draft. We have done very well to net Balta and Bolton in the 20s. Gibcus is our first top 10 pick since Vlastuin. Martin, Cotchin, Lynch, Edwards, Rance, Prestia, Vlastuin were all first rounders or close to it. That's a spine and that's what we need to be focused on. Balta, Gibcus and Bolton is a pretty good start, but we need another 3 or 4 guys who then become elite and hope that the 3 aforementioned all kick on further.

6. Perhaps most worryingly, there seem to be a number of younger players on the list who seem to be at a crossroads, either based on what they have shown at AFL, or by their continued omission at AFL level. Dimma is often accused of playing favourites. I think this is one of the bigger misconceptions about him. He's shown that if a young player is up to it, they will be played. Butler, Castagna, Short, Rioli, Baker, Gibcus, Balta, Bolton, Higgins etc. were all played and played relatively early. Why? Because they showed they were up to the level. Stack, RCD, CCJ, Chol etc. haven't played consistently at AFL level. Why? Because they're likely not up to it for a variety of reasons, be it talent, temperament, consistency or other flaws. I'm happy for the coaches and list management to make these decisions, but I feel like we are approaching a stage where we need to know for sure whether guys such as Stack, RCD, Martyn, Dow, Cumberland, Nyuon, Miller etc. can do it or not and this is probably as good a season as any to find out.

7. Finally, I think there's probably a worthwhile discussion to have on the coach. O'Neal is leaving, Gale may leave, Balme probably does not have many years left. Much like the assistant coach ranks, another possibly massive brain drain. Where does that leave Dimma? Personally, 10+ years in the same job is a long time for anyone, and it's natural that people get stale or insular in their thinking. The world has changed since the days of Sheedy or Sir Alex Ferguson. Is Dimma the man to lead a rebuild? I don't know, but he certainly deserves a chance to. However, I would suggest that he needs a fresh batch of assistants with new ideas to give him the best chance.

So the point of the above tome? Some stuff to be concerned about, but some stuff to be thankful for.
One of the best posts i have come across on any forum relating to our club.
I take my hat off to you sir.

As a club we are now entering one of the most difficult periods imo.

Agree with your sentiments DS - our problem has become really complex much quicker than the club or supporters thought and I think there are to many moving parts to easily or quickly fix it.

1. We have our old stars Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Lynch, Prestia, Grimes, Edwards, Lambert and Vlastuin who are all elite footballers but for varying reason, can’t get the job done now consistently to even get us into the 8. Like last year, do we move them on 2 or 3 at a time - that will take 3 years to transition.

2. Nank, Baker, Graham, Short, Rioli, Broad, Soldo, Castagna, McIntosh, Pickett. How does this group perform without the elites playing around them - they have all stood up in big games and finals so we know they can but is the hunger and drive still there. They all have a role in the 22 somewhere and there is enough speed by foot and brain to play a role.

3. Can we build a team around Balta, Gibcus and Bolton going forward - it’s a bit thin when you compare the list of elites who are on the way out. we need to find at least 5 more to be competitive - they will take at least 2 or 3 years to fix if all goes right.

4. Melbourne proves that with the right players our game plan still stacks up - we revolutionised footy once already to get us 3 flags but we had the players to do it plus the GOAT plus some shock tactics by taking the comp by surprise. Do our coaches have still have it.

5. Our draftees from last year look promising but it will take 2 or 3 years min for us to know and for them to get to 50 games. The problem there is still to many question around our other young players which make our path forward challenging.

6. The organisation is going through change with Peggy leaving and now Gale is being distracted by the AFL discussions - where is that stability we need.

What I am trying to say is that I have started to realise that we are at least 3 years away from making finals again - I hope I am wrong but there are now to many moving parts to fix now.

Well the bottom line is that the VFL play tomorrow - who can kick 4 or 5, who can get 25 plus
disposals cause if noone puts their hand up, we won’t get that regeneration we are all looking for.

Right now RCD and Stack have been the greatest disappointment this year - they both should be screaming out to be picked but I ain’t heard a beep from them.
I think Stack injured an elbow, and RCD had some health problem too. Dow/Ross are playing ahead of RCD. That's fine. Stack/RCD/Sonsie probably get their chance this week. Aarts as sub is not a bad idea. Round 1 selection rewarded new players and good off seasons. Although Graham and Soldo didn't look right. Balta fwd & Rioli and Tarrant down back, Soldo, Hugo, Gibcus, Aarts, Ross, Dow.
As always when the ageing premiership side sees the premiership window close - easy to cut - harder to replace. Those waiting in the wings either aren't very good (salary cap and opportunity impacts) or are very young.

Changing of the guard coming at the end of the year. Rejoice in the fact that the coming rebuild years are rebuilding following something great rather than following decades of nothing. We've already seen that and the club off field is in such a better position than those bad old days.

Question - if we lose Sheds, Cotch, Jack, Lambert and maybe even Dusty - how the hell do we pay the minimum salary cap? Pay rises all round - regardless of results?
caddy will be off the books at the end of the year too. So Pay for a Tom Green type or 2 will take up some cap.
Assuming Dusty stays. If Dusty retires might have to retain cotch or Lambert maybe.

I think the plan would have been to rebuild on the run like the Swans had. They picked Rowbottom, McInnery and Warner with picks after we picked RCD, Ross and Dow. They are playing key roles in the midfield taking pressure off the likes of Parker and Kennedy.

Our boys just aren't as good. There is still time for Dow although I thought he looked a bit timid yesterday. You can put a line trough he other two. That plan has failed.

We are probably in that difficult no man's land spot of having a few years of picks around the five to seven mark and won't get access to the generational talent of the first handful of picks.

I think our recruiters have learnt a bit from the failure of 2018 though. This year's picks all look to have better traits. Time will tell though. It is easier to look good until you have to produce regularly on the big stage.