The call we have to make | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The call we have to make

As always when the ageing premiership side sees the premiership window close - easy to cut - harder to replace. Those waiting in the wings either aren't very good (salary cap and opportunity impacts) or are very young.

Changing of the guard coming at the end of the year. Rejoice in the fact that the coming rebuild years are rebuilding following something great rather than following decades of nothing. We've already seen that and the club off field is in such a better position than those bad old days.

Question - if we lose Sheds, Cotch, Jack, Lambert and maybe even Dusty - how the hell do we pay the minimum salary cap? Pay rises all round - regardless of results?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
If most outside the inner sanctum can sense and see it, then I do hope the Club starts looking to the future by playing as many as the youngsters as possible while transitioning out those players (albeit premiership stars) who aren't going to be part of the future.
Reckon Richmond will endure a bit of pain this year.
Have to Start planning and preparing for the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Disappointing.

Positive threads are more enjoyable reads, and these post-loss witch-hunts haven't aged well over the years.

Best for all of us to learn to recognise the frustration and move on. Remember, we all sound 110% dumber than usual after a loss, including myself, which is why I'm using phrases like "110% dumber".
Wtf does move on mean? Ever.

Reactions: 1 users
I reckon the club knows exactly where the team is at, and was hoping like the rest of us that they could get one more good year out of champs like Riewoldt and Cotchin, whilst in their hearts they knew they were done.

And I can understand that cutting players like that last year would have been seen as too ruthless by many.

The likes of Parker and Aarts however I don’t understand; It’s like driving with the hand brake on.
Hope. That's for fans.

Well the bottom line is that the VFL play tomorrow - who can kick 4 or 5, who can get 25 plus
disposals cause if noone puts their hand up, we won’t get that regeneration we are all looking for.

Right now RCD and Stack have been the greatest disappointment this year - they both should be screaming out to be picked but I ain’t heard a beep from them.

Reactions: 3 users
Right now RCD and Stack have been the greatest disappointment this year - they both should be screaming out to be picked but I ain’t heard a beep from them.
Stack is the one that makes no sense to me.

I don’t watch VFL; is he still not fit enough after all this time!? Not playing to instruction!? I’d love to know what’s keeping him out when the cupboard is so bare.

Dimma said game was lost at stoppages both in defence and attack,that's again our midfield,boy it needs attention.

As Carts suggests, RFC needs to make some hard calls during and at the end of the season.
And a
I hope they do.
Am prepared to deal with some pain if I believe the Club is addressing weaknesses and moving forward with purpose.

Reactions: 2 users
Said to.my mates Clarkson coached for 6 more years after his last flag and got them nowhere near another one. Are we prepared to have Dimma in the box until 2026 before booting him?

As Carts suggests, RFC needs to make some hard calls during and at the end of the season.
And a
I hope they do.
Am prepared to deal with some pain if I believe the Club is addressing weaknesses and moving forward with purpose.
Is it possible that one of the downsides of all the "connection" "be yourself" stuff that has been a factor in our success is now a barrier to making the hard calls?
One of my earliest football memories is the banners the cheer squads would hang on the fence before ads took precedence. And t h e one that stood out to me was RUTHLESS RICHMOND. we need some of that mindset now.

Wtf does move on mean? Ever.

People form irrational views when frustrated after a loss. Views such as wanting to rebuild by trading away Dusty, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance, etc just 3 months before winning the 1st of 3 premierships. Or whatever people come up with tonight.

It doesn't need to be that way.

So, notice the frustration.
Recognise it.
Decide whether to allow those irrational feelings to guide your thoughts about the future, or...

Move on from that frustration.

Is it possible that one of the downsides of all the "connection" "be yourself" stuff that has been a factor in our success is now a barrier to making the hard calls?
One of my earliest football memories is the banners the cheer squads would hang on the fence before ads took precedence. And t h e one that stood out to me was RUTHLESS RICHMOND. we need some of that mindset now.

Why do we need that type of mindset now?

Justify your claim with something more than a memory of a banner hanging over a fence a few decades ago in the VFL.

I reckon our cupboard is bare.
We should've traded in players last year another mid & winger, but we used 5 picks like they thought the same 22 could win us another flag.
Where's the speed? We look soooo slow.

The game has changed, it always does.

We are on the slide, but I'd take 4 years with 3 flags over 10 years of making the PF or GF and winning none any day.

The stars are dimming, but they get to run around because they are the stars who brought us 3 flags.

Time to sit back and assess where we are and where we need to go.

Ok, Riewoldt, Shedda and Cotchin - they get to run around for the rest of the year, with some games off "managed". Shedda, if he regains form, may be able to go on but he needs to find form soon. Lambert is also a worry, his injury suggests he will struggle to play much from now on.

We need a clear assessment of the younger players as to where they are at, and who will be in the next Richmond team to be a contender:
Parker - appears to be not up to AFL level, has been given a chance but not consistent enough.
Aarts - another not up to AFL level and has been given a fair number of games, not good enough.
RCD - NFI, get games into him at AFL level and let's see if he is good enough before the end of 2022 and make a decision.
Dow - keep playing him, can be good enough, maybe some missed games to manage him, still young.
Graham - play for a few more games and then maybe back to VFL to see if he can improve, decision at end of contract.
Sonsie - get some games into him at AFL level.
Ross - play him in the guts for maybe 3-5 games, if he can't make it there, forget it. He is no winger, not quick enough. His role needs to be get ball, spread, otherwise goodbye.
Soldo - keep, he has shown he can be good enough, back in the seniors when he has more confidence.
Gibcus - keep playing in AFL with some weeks off as he is young and it is a long season.
Clarke - get some games at AFL level.
Banks - games at AFL level
Ralphsmith - persist, shows signs, seems quick, can work on disposals, is young and needs more experience.
Stack - so difficult, I would keep him in the VFL until he shows he has the fitness for AFL, then a few games.
Brown - games at AFL level.
Mansell - games at AFL level
Ryan - develop in VFL, young tall will take time, find opportunities to play at AFL level.
Martyn - hmm, difficult, maybe see how he goes at VFL level with a view to a game or 2 at AFL level.
Cumberland - games at AFL level
Nyuon - games at AFL level
Miller - persist, has height, can run, decent disposal. Is confidence the factor? I don't know, but has potential to be a solid if unspectacular defender.
MRJ - looks to be a project, can he play in the middle? I don't know but let's try and, if not, can he be an effective small forward?

What we need to be thinking is whether a player would fit in a team that is able to contend for a flag. We are at the point where the older stars have dimmed too much to contend again, they deserve our respect and thanks and for that they get to continue until the end of 2022. But, we need to be looking at our next contending team, and understand it will be a few years away. 2022 is already looking like a write off so getting some games into the youngsters, seeing whether those who have been around for 2 or 3 years can make it and getting games into the youngsters is the way forward. The older players can also be playing at least partially to direct and teach the younger players, they may not be able to win flags any more but they can pass on the wisdom of those who have won flags.

DS

Reactions: 10 users
Firstly we need someone to stand up in the two's, no one has been setting that team alight. How Aarts keeps getting the sub role is beyond me.

and these post-loss witch-hunts haven't aged well over the years.
Been a hell of a lot of post match witch hunts over the last 20 games. Sometimes when things start to smell like crap you've got to look in the little gap between the sole n the heel of your shoe because you've probably got squashed barker nuggy in there.
Ageing list.
Injury prone list.
Career satisfied list.
Rule changes that hinder our list.
Game system that hasn't or is incapable of adapting with the current list.

Maybe the cups only half full because there's a crack in it, not because someone's been drinking the kool aid.