The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Geelong must be the only club in the AFL that basically own the ground they play at, despite not having to pay to improve it.
Hasnt that stadium upgrade got to do with funding for the Commonwealth games?

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
The Jack Reiwoldt thread had me google something today, and I stumbled across this. Not sure I saw it way back when, but for posterity...

Alphingtonian
Roar Pro
6th February, 2018

Some of the more attentive footy supporters may be aware of a strange little conversation that occurred on the Monday night following Richmond’s awesome display of tactical dominance over Adelaide at the MCG on grand final day, 2017.

With speed, skill, toughness, and flair, the Tigers powered to the flag – but some weren’t impressed, especially one Chris Scott.

When asked to comment on Richmond’s win by Mark Robinson, on a well-known footy show, he first admitted his envy (which, to be fair, his coach co-panelist Allan Richardson echoed), then felt compelled to give a lecture on the defensive nature of the win.

Scott inferred the win was dour and boring, citing the 2005-06 Sydney vs West Coast grand finals as examples of great contests but poor spectacles.

So if Scott didn’t like the spectacle, one would have to presume his own team would’ve played the game as it should be played last year?

Seeing as finals are the most important and most watched games, and Scott’s assertion that the Swans-Eagles grand finals were boring, let’s start there.

The Tigers played three finals in 2017, as did Geelong – in two of Richmond’s three finals they scored over 100 points, while the Cats couldn’t crack the ton, but did limp to their lowest finals score since 1914, in the quarter-final against Richmond, scoring just five goals.

If one takes the liberty to say most fans enjoy open, free-flowing games over stoppage-ridden ones, then Richmond play a more attractive style of footy, with 42 fewer stoppages in 2017 than Geelong. That’s nearly a game’s worth.

The Tigers also had more bounces and far more metres gained – a clear sign of their running ability – than Geelong, with significantly more rebound 50s, marks inside 50, and a higher percentage.

It’s clear one team was playing defensive footy, and it wasn’t the premiers.

In what became a torrid slog down at Simmonds Stadium, Richmond tried all day to run-and-gun and break open the stoppage and zone clamps put on by Scott at the narrowest of AFL grounds, but couldn’t make the game the spectacle it ought to have been.

The Round 21 clash sums up the hypocrisy of Scott’s statement. Richmond went to Geelong to play running footy – in their previous month, they had only scored under 90 points once, whereas the Cats had scored more than 90 only once.

When you support a team, you are compelled to watch them play every week – if nothing more than to see how they go. It doesn’t mean you enjoy the style of football they play, even if you’re happy with the result.

As a Cats fan, I enjoyed watching Richmond’s play more than Geelong’s in 2017. The Tigers had the high-flying athletic exploits of Jack Riewoldt up forward, contrasting with the brute strength and wrestling of Tom Hawkins.

They had speed all over the park and a bold tactical gameplan that revolutionised footy for the better, maximising the space of the MCG to produce electric passages of play.

Geelong had a stoppage-based, defensive gameplan built around trying to shut down space and make the ground smaller, while moving it forward in a measured, safe way.

In the quarters, these two styles clashed and the team that wanted to win by using space and speed, rather than simply clamping down the game with repetitive stoppages, won. It was a win for football and the spectacle of the game.

Scott has a right to his opinion. Maybe to him, the game looks better saturated with stoppages and where strength in the contest, height, and overall physical dominance rule the day. I prefer watching quick exciting teams that use pressure to win the ball and then break like hellfire.

Ahead of the 2018 season, many teams seem to be heading down the Richmond route of ‘speed kills’, while teams like Geelong and Adelaide will persist with positional, stoppage-based footy and height up forward.

One thing’s for sure: Chris Scott has more pressure on him than ever before, with many pundits already making Geelong their premiership favourite.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
thats his opinion , so we cant never take that away from him , but I'm sure he like to assert it was fact based and from a superior reading of the game

the Scott bros have a sour out look on life, lways have , if you ever see a happy one thats AI at work and it will be a deep fake

in 2017/18 I had plenty of casual AFL watchers comment to me they are loving the Richmond games and deliberately tuning into them
I thought that was nice, as I can be engrossed in a game that a casual watcher will find boring

in 2019 I felt we suffocated GWS , it was more a game for the purist or Tigers supporters and his comments if they were for the 2019 GF, hard to fault

so conclusion - yet another case of sour grapes from Scott
so in these tough times its good to know we live rent free :LOL:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
The Jack Reiwoldt thread had me google something today, and I stumbled across this. Not sure I saw it way back when, but for posterity...

Alphingtonian
Roar Pro
6th February, 2018

Some of the more attentive footy supporters may be aware of a strange little conversation that occurred on the Monday night following Richmond’s awesome display of tactical dominance over Adelaide at the MCG on grand final day, 2017.

With speed, skill, toughness, and flair, the Tigers powered to the flag – but some weren’t impressed, especially one Chris Scott.

When asked to comment on Richmond’s win by Mark Robinson, on a well-known footy show, he first admitted his envy (which, to be fair, his coach co-panelist Allan Richardson echoed), then felt compelled to give a lecture on the defensive nature of the win.

Scott inferred the win was dour and boring, citing the 2005-06 Sydney vs West Coast grand finals as examples of great contests but poor spectacles.

So if Scott didn’t like the spectacle, one would have to presume his own team would’ve played the game as it should be played last year?

Seeing as finals are the most important and most watched games, and Scott’s assertion that the Swans-Eagles grand finals were boring, let’s start there.

The Tigers played three finals in 2017, as did Geelong – in two of Richmond’s three finals they scored over 100 points, while the Cats couldn’t crack the ton, but did limp to their lowest finals score since 1914, in the quarter-final against Richmond, scoring just five goals.

If one takes the liberty to say most fans enjoy open, free-flowing games over stoppage-ridden ones, then Richmond play a more attractive style of footy, with 42 fewer stoppages in 2017 than Geelong. That’s nearly a game’s worth.

The Tigers also had more bounces and far more metres gained – a clear sign of their running ability – than Geelong, with significantly more rebound 50s, marks inside 50, and a higher percentage.

It’s clear one team was playing defensive footy, and it wasn’t the premiers.

In what became a torrid slog down at Simmonds Stadium, Richmond tried all day to run-and-gun and break open the stoppage and zone clamps put on by Scott at the narrowest of AFL grounds, but couldn’t make the game the spectacle it ought to have been.

The Round 21 clash sums up the hypocrisy of Scott’s statement. Richmond went to Geelong to play running footy – in their previous month, they had only scored under 90 points once, whereas the Cats had scored more than 90 only once.

When you support a team, you are compelled to watch them play every week – if nothing more than to see how they go. It doesn’t mean you enjoy the style of football they play, even if you’re happy with the result.

As a Cats fan, I enjoyed watching Richmond’s play more than Geelong’s in 2017. The Tigers had the high-flying athletic exploits of Jack Riewoldt up forward, contrasting with the brute strength and wrestling of Tom Hawkins.

They had speed all over the park and a bold tactical gameplan that revolutionised footy for the better, maximising the space of the MCG to produce electric passages of play.

Geelong had a stoppage-based, defensive gameplan built around trying to shut down space and make the ground smaller, while moving it forward in a measured, safe way.

In the quarters, these two styles clashed and the team that wanted to win by using space and speed, rather than simply clamping down the game with repetitive stoppages, won. It was a win for football and the spectacle of the game.

Scott has a right to his opinion. Maybe to him, the game looks better saturated with stoppages and where strength in the contest, height, and overall physical dominance rule the day. I prefer watching quick exciting teams that use pressure to win the ball and then break like hellfire.

Ahead of the 2018 season, many teams seem to be heading down the Richmond route of ‘speed kills’, while teams like Geelong and Adelaide will persist with positional, stoppage-based footy and height up forward.

One thing’s for sure: Chris Scott has more pressure on him than ever before, with many pundits already making Geelong their premiership favourite.
I remember reading this article at the time and laughing about Chrissy boy. I am also a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so that’s fine. But it highlights the bull dust he has peddled since he became a coach. This article tor the Roar was written by a self confessed cats supporter, so it’s not one of us gloating. If I remember rightly Dangerfield scored their first goal in the last 20 seconds of the second quarter and we held them to 5 goals while we took the game away from them up forward and outran and outworked them everywhere.

Chrissy boy is almost unable to ever acknowledge the other team is better. I love his pressers after a Geelong loss and will stay watching to see what he has to say. He ALWAYS talks about what they(Geelong) did or didn’t do. He doesn’t ever say…’we were outclassed, they moved the baller more fluently, converted better etc,etc,etc”. He says things like…’we didn’t play well, we permitted them to do this, we allowed them to do that’…”we didn’t take our chances” He rarely even uses the others teams name. They are just “they”.

One of his funniest comments was after a loss to Brissie by 28-29 points:
Reporter: “Chris, Charlie Cameron got off the chain against you tonight, in hindsight, do you think you should have set up against him differently”
Scott: “oh no, I don’t think so, what did he kick? 1 maybe 2 goals?”
Reporter “ummm, he kicked 5 Chris………”

Jeremy Cameron’s goal for Geelong, when he played on out of bounds last year? “I didn’t see it, but I believe it was ok, other people who know a lot about football said it was fine and they should know”……….obviously inferring that the person asking the question knows nothing about football. When he starts doing “others think this or that”, it is straight out of Donald Trumps playbook. Trump says things like. “i am the greatest president ever, A LOT OF PEOPLE SAY THAT”……Does Whately ever call him to account? That would be a big fat NO.

So. Does Scott watch the game? He missed 3-4 of Charlie’s goals and then fails to see things like Jezza getting away with one. Don’t think he saw Paddy wipe out Flossy in the 20 GF either. For an AFL senior coach he seems to miss a lot of the play.

In older times, he would be called a “poor loser”. He is totally unfamiliar with the expression of being humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

I hope they don’t win a single match in 2024. I used to like Geelong before he became coach. They weren’t Essendon,Collingwood or Carlton, semi rural based and played a great style of play. But kudos to him, I detest Geelong these days. I might relent when he is gone but it might take a while.

• Love
Reactions: 25 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

Alphingtonian
Roar Pro
6th February, 2018

As a Cats fan, I enjoyed watching Richmond’s play more than Geelong’s in 2017.
That brought a smile on my face :)

As for the rest of it, it just reconfirmed my opinion of salty…….he’s a *smile*

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Great article, thanks for posting. Very compelling stuff because a) he uses evidence to back his argument, and its very strong evidence, and b) he is a Geelong supporter!

I never read this at the time, but I saw the 360 interview, Scott actually said, re his incorrect view that we dour and boring, that 'some people don't like that' referring to a passage of play they showed, implying that 'some people' head office were plotting to stymie our allegedly unsavoury playing style.

Couple of seasons later and voila! Those 'some people' foist the stand rule on us.

His gaslighting is borderline disturbing at times, eg the Cameron OOB goal and this *smile* that anyone who knows footy knew it was in when it was a metre out. What an *smile*.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Chris Scott can GAGF , the saltiest campaigner of salty campaigners.
How many salt mines does he have shares in? He should be investigated for insider trading. Wanker

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
The cheery on the cake wasn't that preliminary win , but the gf against them.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
The cheery on the cake wasn't that preliminary win , but the gf against them.
The cherry was actually Dusty’s last goal in that 20 GF. It was the ultimate exclamation mark! Rubbed Pricky’s face in it.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The cherry was actually Dusty’s last goal in that 20 GF. It was the ultimate exclamation mark! Rubbed Pricky’s face in it.
I wish there had been a camera on him when Dusty kicked that. They could have split screened it later as part of a highlights package.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users