The War on Saturday Afternoon Footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The War on Saturday Afternoon Footy

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I don’t like Thursday night footy. I have been pretty vocal about this on many platforms of social media. The game finishes too late for a school night and is virtually impossible for regional supporters to get to. But I accept there is a market for it. TV ratings are good.

But my biggest issue is this: When there is a game on Thursday night, they remove 1 game from Saturday afternoon. In fact, in R5, there were 0 games at 2pm Saturday. And this is my problem.

I would accept Thursday night footy if the AFL continued to fixture 2-3 games per round at 2pm Saturday. But this will never happen. In fact, there seems to be a push from people inside the AFL to dump Saturday afternoon altogether. Eddie pretty much claimed this over the weekend.

For years the AFL have talked about moving the GF to night because that is what broadcasters have wanted. But they have resisted because the fans don’t want it. And the fans are winning this war at the moment (although I’m sure they will lose in the end).

So why can’t we do the same for Saturday Afternoon Footy? It’s the traditional timeslot for footy. Fans need to fight back and tell the AFL we want Saturday Afternoon Footy to stay.

Reactions: 9 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Fans need to fight back and tell the AFL we want Saturday Afternoon Footy to stay.

only the Manchester fans protesting the super league approach would work.

a huge mob barricaded the players out of the game, chanting

'WE say when-you-play ...... WE say when-you-play'

loved it.

but as if Australians would do that.

we get sodomised by tickettek weekly, and we just enter our credit card details

then go to dan Murphys to forget it all

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Saturday afternoon games don't get high ratings and are not in prime time. That's all you need to know, and that's why we get so few.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
TV ratings rule over attendance now.
Kick in the guts for clubs as gate receipts will drop.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Saturday 2pm and Sunday 3pm start times are no longer attractive like they used to be.

For me personally, those times are taken up by kids sports / part time work.

Night games are far more attractive.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There is a balance between the needs of the TV (ratings, revenue, eyes on screen etc) and the fans who turn up. The issue is that without the fans who turn up the TV ratings will slowly drop. They need people attending games because these are the die-hards and without them who will be the TV audience?

Interest in the game should never be assumed and, if you lose those willing to go to games it is hard to see how you keep those who just want to watch it on TV.

I think they have the balance wrong and need to do more for those going to games. It has been a strength of Australian Rules that we have high attendances. If it becomes mainly a TV game it also becomes easier to pick out the best revenue raising parts of the game and start some sort of Super League. We've seen this in Rugby and an attempt more recently in Soccer. Much harder to do if you have fans willing to go to games and be involved, as we just saw in Soccer.

Seven also makes a good point - revenue from TV goes to the AFL, revenue from ticket sales and memberships go to clubs. The more that the game relies on TV revenue, the more power the AFL have in relation to clubs. I would think most fans want the power with the clubs, at least to balance out the power of the Politburo at AFL House.

I quite like Friday night games, hate Thursday night - they start early and I have to get to work the next day. I understand the revenue of an extra night of footy on the TV but could we limit it to maybe 1 Thursday night game per team per year?

DS

TigerTribe5

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 14, 2010
Saturday afternoon games don't get high ratings and are not in prime time. That's all you need to know, and that's why we get so few.
Exactly!

At this time of year Thurs/Fri night games are too late & too cold - would much rather watch it at home on the TV with the fire on & a few bevies.

I would however prefer to actually go to a Sat/Sun arvo game at the G - if we had any.

I havent been to Marvel for about 6 years - cant stand the joint!

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
My bug bear with night games is the start time being so kid-unfriendly. Should start at 7pm.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
TV ratings rule over attendance now.
Kick in the guts for clubs as gate receipts will drop.
Have done for 30 years.
Only the big clubs with big attendances make money out of gate receipts. From very vague memory of old articles, there's about 30,000 needed at Marvelous to turn a profit instead of writing a cheque n about 45,000 at the G.
Tigers, Pies, Essendrugs n Carlscum can turn a profit from crowds at the G, Druggies n Carlscum also make a quid from their Marvelous games. Wet Coke n Crowbaits at their home grounds do too.
Reckon the Frockers n Pordadalayde would struggle to make much money from most of their home games outside of Derbies.
Geelol makes shitloads from it's bootick stadium 'coz it's always full of people having to pay reserved seats every game.
#Lolnorf n Hawforn sell home games to Tassie for the Govt subsidy.
Woofers, Smelbourne n St Kiddenme would struggle to turn a gate profit no matter where they play even when they're in finals contention years.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Maybe some club needs to find a niche of making the Saturday afternoon spot theirs? Dunno.

But if night footy is king why aren’t we playing Sunday night footy? Or Monday night footy?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
A smart membership department will make a deal with Kayo to create a 3 game, season subscription to Kayo Membership.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I don’t like Thursday night footy. I have been pretty vocal about this on many platforms of social media. The game finishes too late for a school night and is virtually impossible for regional supporters to get to. But I accept there is a market for it. TV ratings are good.

But my biggest issue is this: When there is a game on Thursday night, they remove 1 game from Saturday afternoon. In fact, in R5, there were 0 games at 2pm Saturday. And this is my problem.

I would accept Thursday night footy if the AFL continued to fixture 2-3 games per round at 2pm Saturday. But this will never happen. In fact, there seems to be a push from people inside the AFL to dump Saturday afternoon altogether. Eddie pretty much claimed this over the weekend.

For years the AFL have talked about moving the GF to night because that is what broadcasters have wanted. But they have resisted because the fans don’t want it. And the fans are winning this war at the moment (although I’m sure they will lose in the end).

So why can’t we do the same for Saturday Afternoon Footy? It’s the traditional timeslot for footy. Fans need to fight back and tell the AFL we want Saturday Afternoon Footy to stay.
Excellent posting Binman. Saturday 2pm is still my preferred footy slot. Wish there were more of them.

Thursday night is completely, dare I say it, bin............................

Last edited:
  • Haha

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
As a 42yo supporter (25 year member) who is also involved in community footy/sport, I personally think that Sat afternoons should be reserved for community footy. I hate it when Richmond clash with my local team. Luckily in recent year the Tiges have basically only played blockbusters so it hasn't been an issue.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I quite like Friday night games, hate Thursday night - they start early and I have to get to work the next day. I understand the revenue of an extra night of footy on the TV but could we limit it to maybe 1 Thursday night game per team per year?

DS

I can live with Carlton R1 every year. But i would be happy if that is it for the season.

Maybe some club needs to find a niche of making the Saturday afternoon spot theirs? Dunno.

I suggested we try to make Saturday Twilight our own a few years back. But the problem is that these games are never on FTA.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
As a 42yo supporter (25 year member) who is also involved in community footy/sport, I personally think that Sat afternoons should be reserved for community footy. I hate it when Richmond clash with my local team. Luckily in recent year the Tiges have basically only played blockbusters so it hasn't been an issue.

That was the argument many years ago about Sunday footy. Sunday was for the VFA and the local leagues. The AFL couldn't leave it alone and now has to monopolise every day of the week.

I'll also add, what are night games so late? I agree start them at 7pm.

I have to get home and then to the footy, really hate going straight from work. I sympathise with what you are saying but I prefer the 7.50 start. Plus, I reckon the TV wants the coverage to start at 7 or 7.30 with time for some mindless crap before the game so not sure you could sell this to the networks.

DS

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I really used to enjoy the walk to the G for the Saturday 2.00pm game.When arriving at the the ground there was a real buzz.The night games just do not cut it IMO.Perhaps the AFL should introduce a blockbuster game every two weeks based on form and ladder position.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I’m a crusty old traditionalist, so my favourite time slot is Saturday afternoons. Friday night is second. The rest all come a distant 3rd with Thursday night hands down stone motherless last.

Reactions: 6 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
As is the way the AFL works they'll drip this stuff out and then they'll have their media partners.... ie Eddie, his protege Hutchinson, 7, Fox and Newscorp running stories on how lower levels are suffering since the pandemic began......

And then one day we'll wake up and the Hun will have a headline...

AFL TAKES A HIT TO SAVE LOCAL FOOTY.... Gives up tradition for the good of the game!
That'll be it.... gone!