Thoughts. Dusty for Captain Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoughts. Dusty for Captain Poll.

Captain Poll Thoughts.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
The last few days the talk about Dusty being the next captain of the Tigers has gained momentum.

If you hear Dimmas interview he gets asked the question of the possibility Trent stepping down and Dusty becoming captain.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

1. Dusty hates talking so he would still need to do some interviews prior to games or after. The club could delegate other leaders to do the majority of this. He has come a long way though. To me Dusty seems like a leader ‘on field’ so he doesn’t need C next to his name.

2. Talk that Dusty needs a challenge and captaining the club could do that. To me Dusty is self motivated type so would being captain elevate his game further or hinder him?

3. Could this upset some senior players who believe they should be ‘captain’ and we have a Deledio type situation? I doubt that! Think our culture is strong and our ‘brotherhood’ type care for each other this wouldn’t happen.

4. I think it’s up to Cotch if he wants to pass the baton. With possibly a year left ( in his body) I would be sad if he was talked into relinquishing his captaincy to some one else.

5. Dusty and Cotchin have a close relationship. You can see the love and care for each other. Dusty and Cotchin are always seen next to each other when the song is sung.

6. If Cotchin does step down and Dusty doesn’t want to lead the club I think we are well positioned in this regard. We have quite a few who could lead the club.

7. Would , if Cotchin steps down , would it go to a vote involving the players, or Dimma , club or all three?

Choose a number related to the points I put up from 1-7 above .

If I’ve missed something please bring it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Once upon a time i thought Dusty could be captain but I think his obvious distaste of dealing with the media would rule him out.

He's definitely an on field leader and an inspiration to team mates and he doesn't need the captain badge to do this.

BTW, i'm not sure your poll is well setup their Waiting - its a little confusing!

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Jack Graham gets my vote
Jack (C)
Floss (VC)
Dusty (VC)

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Sorry to all.
Um .Maybe it just should be a yes or no vote and thoughts instead of the above but I can’t correct it and have it shown more clearly.

Was making some points from things I’ve heard, what we think happened with Deledio being overlooked and Cotchin made captain..
How did that occur? Was it Dimma or the players vote.
Some of my thinking too on the subject muddled up.

Mods please fix the above to reflect just a Yes or No and for members thoughts if they want to add to it......

Hope that makes much better sense.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
It should be and will be Flossy (Vic Metro Captain). Jack Graham is nowhere near good enough to be captain as yet. Jack has been on the verge of getting dropped multiple times this year.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I reckon he would make a great captain, but I wouldn't do it because it is bleedingly obvious he can't stand talking to the media.

Apart from the fact that you really don't want to inflict the media nongs on Dustin, he would likely just tell them where to go one day when it all gets too much to put up with - while 99% of the population would love it if Dustin teed off on the media, the powers that be in the AFL would get shitty.

I'd go for Vlastuin too, Graham is not a lock in the team each week and Vlastuin is. He would make a great captain.

DS

Last edited:

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
I think I would go Grimes for a year, with Graham hopefully ready to take over in 2023.

Reactions: 5 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Im a dyed in the wool Cotchy man.
If Dusty wanted to be captain, it would be fine with me.
I'd be ok with Cotch wanting to retire as skipper at the end of 2022. That might be his last game as a Tiger Legend, being chaired off as a Brownlow Medalist and three time premiership Captain. Be a great way yo go out (especially if there was a 4th Premiership).

If Dusty was so inclined, sure. But I can't see him wanting the job. Let him run loose and create further football history.

Of the others I'd have Vlas.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
We should pass the torch onto someone younger next year, in the next gen group coming through. To build just like newman did with cotch, have cotch there to guide them next year to get ready for the following year, then be a leader to peers of their age and grow together, like dusty and cotch did.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I would only give it if Cotchin is ok with it.
Lets not get sucked in by the Fkwits in the media. 12 month's ago Cotchin was captain of q premiership side.

May be the media should focus of that dud Adams taking over from the shitful and once in a generation footballer in penderbury

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
Flossy or Grimey for me.

However in saying that, if Dusty was asked and he said yes (I'd be very surprised) than great, otherwise let Dusty just do his Dusty things and not be burdened with the added weight of captaincy.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
I reckon he would make a great captain, but I wouldn't do it because it is bleedingly obvious he can't stand talking to the media.

Apart from the fact that you really don't want to inflict the media nongs on Dustin, he would likely just tell them where to go one day when it all gets too much to put up with - while 99% of the population would love it if Dustin teed off on the media, the powers that be in the AFL would get shitty.

I'd go for Vlastuin too, Graham is not a lock in the team each week and Vlastuin is. He would make a great captain.

DS
Spot on. Perhaps Nank as the VC.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
I'm assuming Nank is like Dusty in that he loathes any media attention, would personally choose Nank as the next captain and utilise Grimes as the vice captain until Jack Graham hopefully improves his on field consistency as the heir apparent. Otherwise Graham captain and Vlastuin vice captain

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
TBH I think Trent should remain skipper, he is the leader of our club spiritually and on the field.

Apart from Jack and Sheds who would only be one yr or 2 year appointments there is no other real long term option right now and Dusty is not one to talk to the media so that rules him out.

Just let the Tiger King do what he does.

• Love

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He doesn't want it or need it.

He leads by example, doesn't need a title.

Reactions: 2 users