Thoughts. Dusty for Captain Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoughts. Dusty for Captain Poll.

Captain Poll Thoughts.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The poll result so far, is ridiculous.
He is the obvious choice and for those in doubt about his willingness to take it on, please have a look at the Nick Riewoldt interview which he did earlier this season.

Reactions: 1 user
The poll result so far, is ridiculous.
He is the obvious choice and for those in doubt about his willingness to take it on, please have a look at the Nick Riewoldt interview which he did earlier this season.
I don't think it's the obvious choice and I don't think he will be captain.

I don't think it's the obvious choice and I don't think he will be captain.
What are you talking about. I have been following this team since Ron Branton was Captain.
Dusty is by far the best and most inspirational leader to play for the Tigers over that period.

Risk is it detracts from his own game.

pro is he rises to a level he never knew he had.

leadership roles aren’t for everyone as it can be an unnatural thing to have to get up a speak to big groups and try and say something meaningful..see Cognilio last year.
however if given the right support and environment he could do great things.
pending getting the support I’m a yes

Risk is it detracts from his own game.

pro is he rises to a level he never knew he had.

leadership roles aren’t for everyone as it can be an unnatural thing to have to get up a speak to big groups and try and say something meaningful..see Cognilio last year.
however if given the right support and environment he could do great things.
pending getting the support I’m a yes
Why is it that people feel it will detract from his game.
Is that a worry with every other new Captain or is it just because Dusty went to the wrong school.

Why is it that people feel it will detract from his game.
Is that a worry with every other new Captain or is it just because Dusty went to the wrong school.
School aside, it can detract if you start worrying about what others are doing or trying to “act” like a leader rather than just being one. A lot of unknowns that we wouldn’t know the answers to until he became captain.
Again Coniglio is one of the worst captains I have seen but is a very good player.

School aside, it can detract if you start worrying about what others are doing or trying to “act” like a leader rather than just being one. A lot of unknowns that we wouldn’t know the answers to until he became captain.
Again Coniglio is one of the worst captains I have seen but is a very good player.
Poor guy. Injury interrupted year and Toby steps up and it looks like he is a natural and players follow his lead.
A natural.
Looks like the call to replace or for Cogs to step aside for Toby.
Feel for him.

Poor guy. Injury interrupted year and Toby steps up and it looks like he is a natural and players follow his lead.
A natural.
Looks like the call to replace or for Cogs to step aside for Toby.
Feel for him.
One thing it didn’t appear that Cognilio had was support. Cotchin got a heap of support between ‘16 and ‘17 and it paid massive dividends.

One thing it didn’t appear that Cognilio had was support. Cotchin got a heap of support between ‘16 and ‘17 and it paid massive dividends.
Agree Ghost.
Treated poorly late last year ? when he got dropped? Was poor form by Leon & the club I thought.

My question remains unanswered,
and that is because there is no answer.

All you can go on is what he has shown and what he has shown is a superb ability to lift himself and team mates when the pressure is on. No one near him as a leader in a crisis, and loved by his team for all he has done.

After Cotch then he is unmatched as a leader at RFC and accordingly if he wants the job and is confident in his own ability to deal with the collaterals, he must be given the opportunity.
To my way of thinking to fail to give him that opportunity is akin to racism.

Last edited:
What are you talking about. I have been following this team since Ron Branton was Captain.
Dusty is by far the best and most inspirational leader to play for the Tigers over that period.
What has how long you been following the team have to do with an opinion? I've been following Tigers all my life and I'm getting old and senile so maybe you're older and more senile?

I didn't argue Dusty's ability to be inspirational and lead from the front, I simply discounted your belief that it's crazy to think anyone other than Dusty could be our next captain. Again I re-iterate, I don't think he will be.

Balme said, anyone who knows Dusty knows he has great leadership. Just depends if he wants it. Put off for him is all the public speaking and interviews.
I was just thinking , I’m sure he could do it , but does he actually want to

I wouldn’t change what’s not broke , however Captain or not if his healthy I think he’s going to have an outstanding year.

What has how long you been following the team have to do with an opinion? I've been following Tigers all my life and I'm getting old and senile so maybe you're older and more senile?

I didn't argue Dusty's ability to be inspirational and lead from the front, I simply discounted your belief that it's crazy to think anyone other than Dusty could be our next captain. Again I re-iterate, I don't think he will be.
Thank you for your thoughts love. But the question was to do with what we thought should happen, which is not necessarily what we think will happen.
All I am saying is that his contribution has been such that it is up to him.

I would be very surprised if Dusty wants to be captain.

My own view is that if Cotchin wants to step down then Grimes or Vlastuin would be great skippers