Tom Stewart | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tom Stewart

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Personally could not give a fat rats ass what Stewart got as it does not in any way benefit the Tigers who are the big loosers in this affair along with Dion. We loose Prestia for at least two games (Geelong and West Coast) possibly more as it was a heavy concussion. This reckless deliberate and cowardly act could derail the whole season for Tigers. These kind of sanctions may hurt the evil mongrel who perpatrates the crime but is should be the Tigers who benefit. Its a stupid system as Richmond continue to suffer until a fit confident Prestia is back to his best and who know how long that will be. I really feel for Dion and he seems to be the forgotten person here as far as the media reporting goes.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
When Was the last time a Richmond player KO’d another player In the past 5 years? Houli? How many times have the Cats players done the same thing? Stewart, Dangerfield Hawkins, Cameron? They even KO’D their own player in the 2020GF. There is a pattern of behaviour and playing style here all coached by pricky. By the way don’t watch the front bar tonight unless you want to be triggered. Pricky himself is on.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
When Was the last time a Richmond player KO’d another player In the past 5 years? Houli? How many times have the Cats players done the same thing? Stewart, Dangerfield Hawkins, Cameron? They even KO’D their own player in the 2020GF. There is a pattern of behaviour and playing style here all coached by pricky. By the way don’t watch the front bar tonight unless you want to be triggered. Pricky himself is on.
This is the same bloke who attacked an injured player (Riewoldt).

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It’s amazing how you can make the decision to run past the ball to clean up a player and then worse, actually wilfully drop your shoulder into a player’s head, yet that’s not intentional. Just careless.

Unreal.

• Angry
Reactions: 15 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think I'm most angry about this entire process because the AFL graded it as careless.

How's the lawyer? Only .39 of a second to make his decision? That's an eternity in a footballers mind.
Stewart definitely knew what he was doing. He may genuinely regret the outcome but the intent was there.
Yeh, that wideshot Tigerforce posted shows you how much time Stewart had to prepare his action so to speak. To me there was never an intention to do anything other than bump. And at that last moment he drives his shoulder up and into a vulnerable players head. The ball is nowehere. That's the big issue for me, every other example they have shown of severe contact has had the ball in the play. This is worse than what Cameron did to get 5 weeks. Yet mince and co didn't note the time Stewart had nor the fact it was behind play. *smile*.

I mean to argue he was trying to corral him? What a joke. You slow down and maintain distance when you want to corral someone.

The AFL have seriously dropped the ball on this, you can only surmise its the amount of Cats influence in the media and at the administrative level that has allowed this to escape the level of scrutiny it has.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 7 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
It’s amazing how you can make the decision to run past the ball to clean up a player and then worse, actually wilfully drop your shoulder into a player’s head, yet that’s not intentional. Just careless.

Unreal.
The more I think about it, It makes a mockery of the AFLs stated intention to protect the head and take concussion seriously. They gave him the minumum to avoid backlash for corrupt political reasons rather than giving a penalty based on the act itself and AFL policy. It should have been 6 weeks.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I think I'm most angry about this entire process because the AFL graded it as careless.

How's the lawyer? Only .39 of a second to make his decision? That's an eternity in a footballers mind.
Stewart definitely knew what he was doing. He may genuinely regret the outcome but the intent was there.
Yet he had enough time to lift the shoulder right into Dions head.

Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The ball is nowehere. That's the big issue for me, every other example they have shown of sever contact has had the ball in the play.
This should have been the focus of the entire hearing. The contact by comparison to other incidents wasn't in play. It was off the ball & Stewart wasn't even interested in the footy, just had eyes for Prestia which made it significantly worse.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
The more I think about it, It makes a mockery of the AFLs stated intention to protect the head and take concussion seriously. They gave him the minumum to avoid backlash for corrupt political reasons rather than giving a penalty based on the act itself and AFL policy. It should have been 6 weeks.
Yep. It was minimum 5 but 6 should have been the benchmark. The good character *smile* started before the *smile* game had ended. What would you expect his coach, captain and teammates to say? They should have asked his old school teachers, his local fish and chip shop owner etc. Perhaps he's a *smile* in the real world?

And what the *smile* does it actually mean? He's got great character? Someone with great character simply doesn't do what Stewart did.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Yet he had enough time to lift the shoulder right into Dions head.
Yeh, and in marking contests with blokes like Jack Reiwoldt he has the ability to wrestle, fight and scrap and still mark the ball. His ability to control his movement in those instances is pretty bloody good. He outmarked Jack in a contest on the wing, it was bloody impressive.

Yet we should accept this same guy couldn't help but collide with Dion, he didn't have enough time to avoid contact?

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Is the AFL appealing the inadequate sentence?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What was Stewart's intention? He ran past the ball, and collided with Dion, because he wanted to hurt him, and it was mission accomplished.
That's not careless, that's intentional, everyday of the week !!!!

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The corraling thing is beyond a joke, such cynical contempt for truth and integrity. Words fail me.

Reactions: 3 users

bozo

Tiger Rookie
Dec 11, 2007
North Carlton
What a joke of a suspension. We all knew this would happen.

A guy is knocked out and possibly will have long term health effects, and the other guy simply misses a month of footy. Love how the media frame it as a 'monstrous' penalty. What BS. If the AFL was serious about protecting the head, 6 weeks at a minimum.

I didn't think I could dislike another club another more prior to the incident.....nothing would be sweeter than seeing these scumbags go out in straight sets in September. I hope fans have long memories and make as much noise against Stewart for the rest of his career. This kind of thuggery is just cowardly. I'm so sick of this good bloke nonsense. It was premeditated and as intentional an act as you will see.
Actually think I would boo Sellwood, diverfield and Shovekins before Tom Stewart, he at least owned what he did.

Did anyone else find the picture of Diverfield showed on the screen after each Geelong goal offensive? Just made me want to throw up.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Actually think I would boo Sellwood, diverfield and Shovekins before Tom Stewart, he at least owned what he did.
What choice did he have? He would have seen the replay. He knew what he did. If he really owned it he would have stayed with the prone Prestia. He would have checked on his welfare straight away. He would have called for assistance straight away. No, he skulked off back to defence and made sure he looked contrite at qtr time.

Was he aware of their defence strategy as I assume his legal counsel would have discussed what had happened with him before the night? So I assume he was aware his counsel would argue he was "coralling" Prestia. If he owned his action it he would have called that out as *smile*. If Scott is to be believed he described exactly what Stewart did - I ran past the ball and chose to bump him - he should have instructed his team to offer that as his evidence and said throw the book at me.