Trade Talk Radio 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Talk Radio 2023

Getting him for nothing, so nothing to lose really. If he makes it, great, if he doesn't, then who cares.

Reactions: 2 users
Getting him for nothing, so nothing to lose really. If he makes it, great, if he doesn't, then who cares.
Bluey it just stops a new kid having a chance of getting into the AFL.
This bloke has been in the system for 10 yrs and done nothing.

Pissed and Moaned. about wanting to leave the Dregs and go back to Adelaide.

Nek Minnit wants back to Melbourne after stealing a living for years at Port and Essendon,

This guy is not the missing link for the Blues
Looking like the old classic, we missed a premiership by this tiny little much. Pinch this "star / excitement machine " for free from another club to just fill the little premiership gap we have n look out, here we come.
Haaarrrgggh.

Reactions: 1 user
Bluey it just stops a new kid having a chance of getting into the AFL.
This bloke has been in the system for 10 yrs and done nothing.
Fair point, but they've rolled the dice on an injury-prone player in a gamble that will either pay off decently enough, or backfire and look incredibly stupid.

They've obviously done their research on the draft and what they realistically can and can't get with the hand they have, and in line with what they're after - and perhaps they don't think there's a kid available that fits the bill. Fair enough. Giving a spot to a kid just because, who doesnt fit into the plans and would spend his time languishing in the magoos, versus taking a risk on an existing player who could provide what they're looking for. I was as shocked as anyone to read the news, but I can understand where they might be coming from.

Personally I've never been a big rap for Fantasia and as you say he's been in the system a long time now for very little return. Had it not been for his exotic-sounding name then very few people would even know who he is. He's obviously been kissed on the d1ck here with a two-year deal, so it's up to him now to repay the faith.

Reactions: 1 user
Fair point, but they've rolled the dice on an injury-prone player in a gamble that will either pay off decently enough, or backfire and look incredibly stupid.

They've obviously done their research on the draft and what they realistically can and can't get with the hand they have, and in line with what they're after - and perhaps they don't think there's a kid available that fits the bill. Fair enough. Giving a spot to a kid just because, who doesnt fit into the plans and would spend his time languishing in the magoos, versus taking a risk on an existing player who could provide what they're looking for. I was as shocked as anyone to read the news, but I can understand where they might be coming from.

Personally I've never been a big rap for Fantasia and as you say he's been in the system a long time now for very little return. Had it not been for his exotic-sounding name then very few people would even know who he is. He's obviously been kissed on the d1ck here with a two-year deal, so it's up to him now to repay the faith.
2 yrs for what??
Pick 29 and future 4th In 2020 port paid for him. 4 yr deal for 4 games in 2 yrs
Debut 2014 99 games.
Where's Kano???

Reactions: 1 users
Yep all those years of corporate inbreeding at AFLHQ has become extremely obvious. Got me a feeling they've got dueling banjo's playing as elevator music in that place.
the AFL 'personality type' is quite disturbing ... as you say TM "inbreeding", but I'd couple that with Semi-Fascist Robots

Richmond will hand former Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith a career lifeline by signing him as a delisted free agent as early as this week.

Naismith’s remarkable story of persistence will see him back on an AFL list after three knee reconstructions and only 30 games in his decade at Sydney.

The 31-year-old put together an excellent season at Port Melbourne but was overlooked in the mid-season draft despite clubs, including Geelong, closely scrutinising him as a back-up ruckman.

He averaged 31 hitouts and 10 hitouts-to-advantage in his season at Port Melbourne and can join the Tigers in the delisted free agency period which opens on Wednesday and runs to November 10.

Richmond traded Ivan Soldo to Port Adelaide late in the trade period, having finally relented after his plea to release him to be the Power’s No.1 ruckman.

The Tigers believed he would have departed as an unrestricted free agent next year and likely only secured them second-round compensation in return.

Instead, they traded him for pick 41 and Fremantle’s future second-round selection, and will immediately bring Naismith back in as cover.

The Tigers are also excited by the prospects of Ben Miller and Samson Ryan getting chances to ruck behind co-captain Toby Nankervis.
Richmond has been given approval by the AFL to delisted project ruckman Mate Colina then put him back on the list as a category B rookie if no other club secures him.

Former University of Honolulu basketballer Colina, the cousin of Noah Balta, has played only a handful of AFL games in his three seasons at the Richmond list because of injury issues.

So the Tigers have permission to retain him for a fourth year as a category B rookie, which covers players from international backgrounds or non-football pathways.

Naismith had 15 knee and shoulder surgeries across his Sydney career despite only 30 AFL games, having played his last AFL game in round 4, 2020 before being delisted at the end of 2022.

The 206cm big man was rookie-listed by Sydney in the 2013 draft and played in the 2016 Grand Final against the Western Bulldogs.
But amid continuing knee issues he also had personal heartbreak, losing sister Kristi to pancreatic cancer in 2020 during Covid.

He told Code Sports this year the move to Port Melbourne had rekindled his love of the game after his injury issues and family tragedy.
“I fell out of love with the game,” Naismith said.
“I haven’t enjoyed the game over the last couple of years. I didn’t go to ‘Buddy’s 1,000’, I watched it on the couch at home.
“There were a lot of Swans games I didn’t want to watch at all. I felt like I didn’t want to be around footy anymore.

Richmond is the perfect landing spot for Naismith given he will believe he has the opportunity to play regular senior football given the Tigers played both Nankervis and Soldo late in the season.

Tigers star forward Tom Lynch is on track to be in full training after his second foot surgery, out of a moon boot and about to start a graduated fitness program to have him fully fit by round 1 next year.

Richmond is also bullish about the summer prospects of top-10 pick Josh Gibcus, who has made strong progress during an overseas trip to Qatar to help him prepare his body after hamstring tendon surgery and subsequent infections that ruined his 2023 season.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Jon Ralph@RalphyHeraldSun

Richmond has permission for Mate Colina to get a fourth year as a category b rookie. They will have to delist him then relist him. Colina has barely played with injury across his three seasons so gets permission where Adelaide was knocked back with James Borlase

Richmond will hand former Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith a career lifeline by signing him as a delisted free agent as early as this week.

Naismith’s remarkable story of persistence will see him back on an AFL list after three knee reconstructions and only 30 games in his decade at Sydney.

The 31-year-old put together an excellent season at Port Melbourne but was overlooked in the mid-season draft despite clubs, including Geelong, closely scrutinising him as a back-up ruckman.

He averaged 31 hitouts and 10 hitouts-to-advantage in his season at Port Melbourne and can join the Tigers in the delisted free agency period which opens on Wednesday and runs to November 10.

Richmond traded Ivan Soldo to Port Adelaide late in the trade period, having finally relented after his plea to release him to be the Power’s No.1 ruckman.

The Tigers believed he would have departed as an unrestricted free agent next year and likely only secured them second-round compensation in return.

Instead, they traded him for pick 41 and Fremantle’s future second-round selection, and will immediately bring Naismith back in as cover.

The Tigers are also excited by the prospects of Ben Miller and Samson Ryan getting chances to ruck behind co-captain Toby Nankervis.
Richmond has been given approval by the AFL to delisted project ruckman Mate Colina then put him back on the list as a category B rookie if no other club secures him.

Former University of Honolulu basketballer Colina, the cousin of Noah Balta, has played only a handful of AFL games in his three seasons at the Richmond list because of injury issues.

So the Tigers have permission to retain him for a fourth year as a category B rookie, which covers players from international backgrounds or non-football pathways.

Naismith had 15 knee and shoulder surgeries across his Sydney career despite only 30 AFL games, having played his last AFL game in round 4, 2020 before being delisted at the end of 2022.

The 206cm big man was rookie-listed by Sydney in the 2013 draft and played in the 2016 Grand Final against the Western Bulldogs.
But amid continuing knee issues he also had personal heartbreak, losing sister Kristi to pancreatic cancer in 2020 during Covid.

He told Code Sports this year the move to Port Melbourne had rekindled his love of the game after his injury issues and family tragedy.
“I fell out of love with the game,” Naismith said.
“I haven’t enjoyed the game over the last couple of years. I didn’t go to ‘Buddy’s 1,000’, I watched it on the couch at home.
“There were a lot of Swans games I didn’t want to watch at all. I felt like I didn’t want to be around footy anymore.

Richmond is the perfect landing spot for Naismith given he will believe he has the opportunity to play regular senior football given the Tigers played both Nankervis and Soldo late in the season.

Tigers star forward Tom Lynch is on track to be in full training after his second foot surgery, out of a moon boot and about to start a graduated fitness program to have him fully fit by round 1 next year.

Richmond is also bullish about the summer prospects of top-10 pick Josh Gibcus, who has made strong progress during an overseas trip to Qatar to help him prepare his body after hamstring tendon surgery and subsequent infections that ruined his 2023 season.
Too many negative points including his age of 31.....hmm. 15 injuries / 30 games. Just seems too risky IMO. Not even sure what a 1 year contract would do for him unless he's happy to play 2nds mostly.

Too many negative points including his age of 31.....hmm. 15 injuries / 30 games. Just seems too risky IMO. Not even sure what a 1 year contract would do for him unless he's happy to play 2nds mostly.
I assume any chance to have one last crack at AFL is better than none. Back himself & his body to stand up to the challenge. Who knows? Little risk for a year apart from a modest salary.

Nankervis won’t play all 23+ games and Ryan would need support if he gets a go.

Reactions: 5 users
Good on the bloke. Geez he’s been through the wringer. But can’t say I’m that excited just the same from a team development perspective especially if we add another injury prone ruck in Colina - even if it’s just as a category B again. Would perhaps like a bit more surety being applied with these 2 spots. Anyway. Whatevs. Good luck to them.

Good on the bloke. Geez he’s been through the wringer. But can’t say I’m that excited just the same from a team development perspective especially if we add another injury prone ruck in Colina - even if it’s just as a category B again. Would perhaps like a bit more surety being applied with these 2 spots. Anyway. Whatevs. Good luck to them.
It's really looking like an assessment year from Ooze.

rumoured he will be sponsored by Michelin and wear their protective gear to reduce possible injuries

Last edited:
Kinda feels like it's going to cost the Tigers quite a bit more than just his salary ie he will break down and require surgery plus rehab.

Maybe there is another angle, maybe coaching.. but we still have Ivan.