Training for DRAFT PICKS!!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training for DRAFT PICKS!!!!

I can't get with a concussion or any injury sub. There are four players on the bench. They are reducing rotations to increase attrition, this suggestion flies in the face of that.

Imagine last year's prelim. Ebert knocks himself out with a few minutes to go and Port bring on a fresh road-runner who scorches our heavy legs to kick the winning goal. *smile* that.
Valid points, agreed.
But I can understand and accept it for concussion only. Prior to the recent concussion protocols introduced a couple of years back, teams were inclined to leave a concussed player, or send him back on, the field out of desperation to avoid a defeat etc. So concussion only for me, so that the minimum 12-day suspension has complete validity too.

Yes, the scenario you depict is a risk, but it could work just as much in your favour too. So we would have been granted a sub for Vlastuin in last year's GF. We lost him for virtually the whole game instead. But, according to concussion-only rules, then neither us for Houli, nor Geelong for GAblett, would have been allowed a sub, so there's your attrition that can just occur within a match. But I, for one, felt that the loss of Floss could be that premiership gone right then and there, even more so late Q2 before Dusty kicked that goal.

Sure, we were good enough to win that flag with virtually 1.5 players down, but now rotations have been significantly cut too. Could have made a major difference to us winning that cup (although not sure if I have seen anything about Bachar being rotated more often, but we no doubt used these extra rotations to manage the crisis).

It's usually difficult for a sub to come on late in a game and exert a major impact in a hot game; rare - but it has happened. As long as the rule is fair for both teams and strictly applied by independent medical experts, you just have to live with it for the protection of players mental health in the context of a debilitating affliction that can damage their quality of life for the rest of their days.

Long ago, and not the same situation, but we all remember Royce Hart coming on after half-time and kicking four goals to win us a final.

I don't understand why the AFL has taken so much time with this. Concussion subs seem like a complete and utter no brainer, but they focus on other crap, like the seagull of the man on the mark that we have now.

If they make this an injury rather than purely a concussion sub, then they need to have the same negative impact if you take them out. Ie. they can't play for 12 days. If you are subbed out of the game due to injury you follow the concussion protocols in terms of being able to play, otherwise some injury "subs" may be used as a tactical move.

I like the idea of the 4 emergencies being available.
Agree with this. I suspect this blanket rule allowing for a 12 day rest for everyone subbed out and the option of choosing the replacement from 4 emergencies, is going to greatly favour the team with the best list.

The AFL and the 17 other teams are going to have reservations about that!

He wont play if thats the case.
It will be a really tough decision however. Cotch would absolutely hate to not be leading the team back onto the G in front of an ecstatic, strong Tiger Army for the unveiling of not one, but two pennants he has captained the side to. Imagine. (Standing there in a tracksuit, then watching on for the game, is NOT the same thing by a long way).

I note he was kicking on his left ...

Captains Run Today:

The Cotch intrigue continues with non appearance today.

Out there in what I consider the emergencies and or 23rd man are:

Will Martyn
Ross
Marlion
Mabs
Obviously Cotch is close to borderline. This is the perfect chance to get a game into a youngster, probably Ross. The youth have to play a few games this year if we want the old guys fit in September.

Reactions: 1 user
Training Tuesday was just a health check for me.

Cotch does not look 100% to me, (still think he will play), has been managed the last 2 weeks. I know he does it quite a bit in games too , but pretty much refused to kick on his right and used his left a lot.

Captains Run Today:

The Cotch intrigue continues with non appearance today.

Cotch intrigue shows no sign of abating, Sam Edmund now reporting the skip could miss with Gastro.

The story has whiskers, reckon if he misses it is a cover for something else.

**Only reason I say that is because as well as above Cotch only played a half against the Pies and then missed the next two training sessions so has definitely been managing something?

Then again it could all be just a strange coincidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Cotch intrigue shows no sign of abating, Sam Edmund now reporting the skip could miss with Gastro.

The story has whiskers, reckon if he misses it is a cover for something else.

**Only reason I say that is because as well as above Cotch only played a half against the Pies and then missed the next two training sessions so has definitely been managing something?

Then again it could all be just a strange coincidence.

And the Cloak & Dagger is over, Cotch to miss.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Has there been a @caesar report from the VFL praccie game?
No report from me, I did watch the first half and i thought Dow, Riley and Naish were ok even though the Blues were well on top.
Junior was pretty poor in first half.
CJ took one screamer in the square that I saw and goaled.
That's about it, too worried about getting to the main game

Reactions: 2 users
Really like what CJ is building , weather he ends up a ruck who rests forward or a forward who pinch hits in the ruck I think he’s going to be a very handy combo with Nank , Soldo or Samson down the track . Could be handy with the continued dropping of interchange rotations .

Cumberland mentioned yesterday he’s not far away and Soldo will play this year all been well

Really like what CJ is building , weather he ends up a ruck who rests forward or a forward who pinch hits in the ruck I think he’s going to be a very handy combo with Nank , Soldo or Samson down the track . Could be handy with the continued dropping of interchange rotations .

Cumberland mentioned yesterday he’s not far away and Soldo will play this year all been well
The use of Balta and Astbury in the ruck exposes our backline to the plus-sized forwards like Mackay and Cox. CuJo will help rectify that as he's quite good as a ruck around the ground, but in the meantime we may just have to bring in Chol to ease the load, particularly if Tigga misses games.