Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
CC TIGER said:
I'd recommend Manhattan , central so you can walk to a lot of things , though it's easy to commute to any of those other Burroughs , I'd imagine it would become a bit painful commuting everyday, highly recommend the New York Pass , gets you on to the big bus hop on hop off for 2 days which is a great way too see the island first and then gets you into all attractions , also helps you jump the que.

Would try an spend atleast a week there, so much to do, pblic transport is great as is uber, each to there own but I loved the street foods , pizza bars. Madison square garden tour was fantastic
Cheers, sounds good CC

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
Tigertim, stay in Midtown Manhattan although it's a little more pricey there (you'll be looking at $300 per night+ for anything half decent). I stayed on west 39th st (near 7th ave) and the location was absolutely perfect.
Cheers Ian. That's my preference.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
SCOOP said:
I've stayed in Brooklyn multiple times. It's the absolute best. Only about a 15 minute train into Manhattan.

Cheap food everywhere, things to do and not quite the hustle of Manhattan.
The wife wants to stay in Brooklyn. What's there to do in Brooklyn scoop?

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
CC TIGER said:
Sitting at Augusta regional airport, just left Augusta GC , place is phenomenal , got there early 7ish , so got to check my bag an phone, do a bit of shopping and grab a bite to eat... Pimento cheese sandwich.... It's different that's all I can say.... Service is the best you will ever come across, everything from ushers on course to toilet attendants . TV an photos truly do the course an injustice , it's as green as green, manicured to perfection, greens do have a bit of a light tinge so might be fairly quick ;) . It's a huge complex , lots of butler cabin type buildings around, .... It's incredibly hilly an greens have vicious swales an run offs fairways an rough look to be the same grass just longer, it's much more broad leaf compared to santa ana... Some of the views come second to none.... I seriously don't have the vocabulary to describe how good this place is. Beside the praccy fairway about 15 or so kids are allowed to line up along the fence line and ask for autographs as players head towards the main course, as we were about to go I said to my son get whoever comes next for a sig on your masters hat...... Along comes J Day :clap

Sounds great CC, hope to see it one day. Hope you get to see a bit of the tournaument over there.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
TigerForce said:
The only formal bus tour I did was through Harlem and weren't allowed to get off at certain areas (racist IMO)

Its changed a lot. Gentrified a lot but still predominately black. It didn't exactly feel completely safe but fine and not unsafe. Bit like the Mall in Footscray at times in parts, most parts fine. I think its gentrified a lot more since too. It was a strange feeling getting on a train with mostly white people in Lower manhattan, then slowly more black people, until we were the only two white people when he got to Harlem. A healthy experience in my view. Food was great, but I love American food.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
SCOOP said:
I've stayed in Brooklyn multiple times. It's the absolute best. Only about a 15 minute train into Manhattan.

Cheap food everywhere, things to do and not quite the hustle of Manhattan.

Agree Scoop. Loved Brooklyn. Stayed in lower east side Manhattan and Brooklyn, much preferred Brooklyn. It has most things manhattan has, even a Central Park (Prospect Park), similar neighbourhoods, but less crowded. And if you want to see anything in Manhattan its a short trip or walk.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
Agree Scoop. Loved Brooklyn. Stayed in lower east side Manhattan and Brooklyn, much preferred Brooklyn
Why so snake?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:
Why so snake?

See edit. Plus I just liked hanging out as well as seeing stuff. Brooklyn is just as good to hang out in, stroll, eat, drink, chat to locals. Stayed in Fort green, hung out in Park Slope, Williamsburg, Ditmis Park, Coney Island, (I loved Coney Island, but I love weird run down stuff).

Watched the St K v Coll drawn GF hosted by the NY Magpie supporters at a bar in mid-town Manhattan. $4 coopers and bundy rums! Great night. Had a smoke out the front with a woman from Brooklyn, asked her why she was there. She replied in a think Brooklyn accent 'you are looking at the forward pocket slash rover for the Park Slope Pigeons (I made that up, forget the name of the team) womens AFL team.' I was impressed.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Been in Chicago for 24 hours staying on Michigan and every person I've spoke too I.e ubers , shop assistants have all said don't be out at night....could be intresting tommorow night coming back from the Blackhawks as will have to walk a few blocks from the bus stop then same again for Bulls Saturday . Went to Sears/Willis tower today, zero visabiity so can't say much about that ;D saw the small sports museum in the Water tower that was pretty cool and went out to United center to see Jordan statue, it's awesome so much detail, same with there coloured ice hockey ones.

Most importantly there deep style pizzas ... Magnificent, they do say medium is for 3to 4 people pfffft

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
CC TIGER said:
Been in Chicago for 24 hours staying on Michigan and every person I've spoke too I.e ubers , shop assistants have all said don't be out at night....could be intresting tommorow night coming back from the Blackhawks as will have to walk a few blocks from the bus stop then same again for Bulls Saturday . Went to Sears/Willis tower today, zero visabiity so can't say much about that ;D saw the small sports museum in the Water tower that was pretty cool and went out to United center to see Jordan statue, it's awesome so much detail, same with there coloured ice hockey ones.

Most importantly there deep style pizzas ... Magnificent, they do say medium is for 3to 4 people pfffft

I'd recommend a bar called Big Star CC, just hear Damon Station. Great Mexican food and cheap. Careful of the shots though, they are a fair bit bigger than our shots here, more like a tumbler, and we got on well with the bar manager so the pours were generous to compound the whole effect.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I found downtown Chicago pretty safe. Its when you're in the suburbs it gets a bit dicey. Those Chicago deep dish pizzas are ridiculous. Gotta find a place in Melbourne that does them. Does anyone have a recommendation?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Ian4 said:
I found downtown Chicago pretty safe. Its when you're in the suburbs it gets a bit dicey. Those Chicago deep dish pizzas are ridiculous. Gotta find a place in Melbourne that does them. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Yeah me too, but the crime stats are high. I think its a bit like NY and LA used to be like, you can be safe on one side of the street but not the other. I actually had a bit of a heated exchange in a bar, wanted to go to a dive bar Chicago is famous for, like cheers. Found a couple. One was full of local p!ssed idiots and they weren't happy at all that the barmaid wanted to talk to the aussies (she was Polish, skin tight denim dress :eek:). It was almost on, I just said I've got no beef I'm just having a beer and they calmed down. Wasn't a good vibe. The other dive bar was cool.

Big Country

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 1, 2011
Love Chicago. Used to make a habit of going to Kingston Mines on most trips. Great place if you like Blues music. Especially on a Saturday night. They wheel out a few acts on the night across two stages. One night I was there they turned out the lights while a guy in a purple suit strolled to the stage like a boss and everyone stood up waving their hands and went nuts. Can't remember who he was but he was great and the whole experience was something you'd find hard to replicate anywhere else. Been a few years since I was last there but I know it's still there. My first trip was about 20 years ago so it's been going a while.

Cubs are back in town on Monday for their home opener. That'd be a great thing to do if you were still in Chicago. Anywhere around 1060 W Addison (or is that the Blues Brothers address) while that game is on should be fun.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
tigersnake said:
Yeah me too, but the crime stats are high. I think its a bit like NY and LA used to be like, you can be safe on one side of the street but not the other. I actually had a bit of a heated exchange in a bar, wanted to go to a dive bar Chicago is famous for, like cheers. Found a couple. One was full of local p!ssed idiots and they weren't happy at all that the barmaid wanted to talk to the aussies (she was Polish, skin tight denim dress :eek:). It was almost on, I just said I've got no beef I'm just having a beer and they calmed down. Wasn't a good vibe. The other dive bar was cool.

Sounds a lot like Sydney......awful place!

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Ian4 said:
Just been to Ginos East .... Superb..

Now sitting at the United center watching Blackhawks in the warm up, everbody wears the team gear over here, not just colors but the big jerseys

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
CC TIGER said:

Story on Chicago from bbc.com http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20160323-how-one-city-transformed-from-grey-to-glitzy

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Now at Cellular field for White sox v Indians and it's bloody snowing ....geez they love Acadaca over here at there sports.... Polish hot dog superb..

Another thing with there sporting events , is just about each event we've gone there has been free giveaways as you walk in an not just crap stuff, got a bag at the Blackhawks game last night, get a hoodie at one coming up.

Just back from the Bulls defeating the Cavs, free 50 year T shirts as you walk in, plus other free vouchers.....again these venues are incredible and the show they put on is fantastic.....really cool to see Lebron James live....stating the obvious Superstar .

Went out to Wrigley field today, major renovations going on but was great too check it out and all the statues.
Asked a guy if I was on the right platform for train downtown and he said was going to ask the same question....he was from Ballarat

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
was looking for one more city to visit in my trip to Europe in October. the original idea was Copenhagen, but now we're thinking Milan. has anyone been and do they recommend it?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not much to see in Copenhagen. A little mermaid. An old tower to walk up. But there's a lot to be said for Danish women.

Milan is glitzy. Mix of business (Milan is the corporate capital of Italy), high fashion and plenty of cathedrals and churches.

Really it depends what you are into. October will be getting nippy so Milan would be a better climate. Maranello isn't far from Milan.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Baloo said:
Not much to see in Copenhagen. A little mermaid. An old tower to walk up. But there's a lot to be said for Danish women.

Milan is glitzy. Mix of business (Milan is the corporate capital of Italy), high fashion and plenty of cathedrals and churches.

Really it depends what you are into. October will be getting nippy so Milan would be a better climate. Maranello isn't far from Milan.

thanks. not in to F1 these days, but as I'll possibly be there on a weekend (or a champions league match day), I'm hoping one of AC/Inter Milan or Juve are playing at home at around the dates I'm looking at. think I'm sold though.