Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Love the way he is playing seems to be relishing a little more space and turning into a top on field leader.k.. Back to 2012 form

Tigers of Old said:
Trent had the best 4 Q game of anyone tonight. Great effort.

Was pretty unsighted 1st quarter, 4 disposals and 1 contested. Warmed up a bit 2nd quarter 7 disposals but was brilliant in the 2nd half with 21 disposals. Still even in that first quarter he was doing all the hard things which is all you can ask when maybe the ball isn't quite falling your way.

tigerlove said:
Was pretty unsighted 1st quarter, 4 disposals and 1 contested. Warmed up a bit 2nd quarter 7 disposals but was brilliant in the 2nd half with 21 disposals. Still even in that first quarter he was doing all the hard things which is all you can ask when maybe the ball isn't quite falling your way.

Did kick that captain's goal from 50 in the first quarter IIRC.

Tigers of Old said:
His workrate was very noticeable early. Not all about stats.

Correct. There is a trend of relatively quiet first quarters stat wise. Don't know whether that's by design or not, concentrate on the defensive side of the footy and let a bit of heat out of the game to come home a lot stronger.

Rarely is cotch ever physically manhandled, he is as tough as teak, Clark Kent style

IMO Cotchin's name should be right in the conversation when AA & SoO representative team discussion takes place this season.
Form very close to 2012 this year. Has embraced the new game plan and is playing absolutely tremendous football both offensively & defensively.
Averaging 25 disposals & taking the game on with every possession. Highest defensive workrate of all the mids too averaging 6 tackles pg. Also kicking very straight for goal.
Martin & Rance rightly getting attention but Cotch isn't got getting the media plaudits he deserves.

I've been very critical of Cotchin last couple of years
Thought he was making bad decisions, butchering the ball too many times and disappearing as soon as a tag was put on him

This year, he has been sensational. Don't know where this player has been last 3 years

rokkafella said:
Thought he was making bad decisions, butchering the ball too many times and disappearing as soon as a tag was put on him

This year, he has been sensational. Don't know where this player has been last 3 years

At the back of the pack at Bernie's behest

So good to see him clearly fit and healthy again. The last few years I had no confidence in him making the distance from 40m, now he's banging them through from outside 50. That has to make a massive difference to his and everyone else on the fields self belief.

rokkafella said:

Yes I fully agree. It's the first time I can remember him doing so many 50m plus kicks.

There is and can be no doubt that Cotchin is revitalised, fit and injury-free, and is receiving some better support in the midfield. He is having a stellar season and seems to have finally found the "captaincy skin" more comfortable to wear. As the most recent recipient of the Brownlow he has risen to the occasion this year and proving his elite worth to the rest of the competition.

Cotchin is only rivalled by Dangerfield in regard to foot skills. He kicks 50 meters both feet. His goal against Nth on the right and a ripper left footer letter that was cut off in the pocket. H e has sublime skills by foot.

There is no doubt his kicking skills were adversely affected by a crab like stilted game plan of recent years, but now he is blossoming. A superb player. Really benefitting also from less attention due to Dusty's improvement.

Just have to pay respect to poor old Poo$y last night on League Teams who was adamant that Chimp should've been suspended or fined for the jumper punch. What a flog.