Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Where has all this Cotchin will step down this year. I haven't heard anything official. Are people just speculating?
The thinking is that he will groom his successor for a year before he retires. Makes sense, but no idea if it will happen that way.

My all time favourite Tiger a dead set immortal of the RFC. I’m not fussed if he hangs em up or continues on , he’s body would be the equivalent of a mere mortal playing 1000 games , could he impact next year ? Of course he *smile* could he’s Trent Cotchin, however hes done just about more then anybody for his football club so if he feels the times right and 3 flags a couple of JDMs and a Brownlow is enough well fair enough then Skip . One things for sure the Skip will do what’s best for the RFC . #9

Reactions: 2 users
I reckon Cotchy has 2 more good years, easy.

the notion of our greatest ever captain, standing down as captain,

is downright absurd.

Reactions: 3 users
I reckon Cotchy has 2 more good years, easy.

the notion of our greatest ever captain, standing down as captain,

is downright absurd.
Fully agree
He‘s 31 and right now he’s struggling a bit (quite a bit really) with fitness and injury after a tough couple of seasons
This extended break before next season is a chance to freshen up first and then get fully fit and healthy again
Even this year his best footy was top notch
And next season - hopefully when most of our best midfielders are all available at the same time - he can again become a vital contributor

Captaincy? Not fussed either way. Whatever he thinks will help him play his best footy

Reactions: 1 users
Can we cryogenically freeze him now and defrost him when we’re ready to contend again?
Superstar who at the very least should be cloned.

Reactions: 1 user
Where has all this Cotchin will step down this year. I haven't heard anything official. Are people just speculating?
Pure speculation on Trent handing over the captaincy but there has been enough noise in the media about it that we can assume it has some legs.

I think it would be a great time to hand over the captaincy. if it is a younger player like Jack Graham for instance, he will still have the core of the senior leaders around him to provide support.

In 2021 Chimp had to change roles from strategic cannonball to regular midfielder. He hasn't played that role for years - and his kicking was exposed. But he eventually recovered his ballwinning, albeit while hoppled. Cotchin always takes ages to find kicking form. And despite injuries he would have done that this year if he'd had time.

We sent him to the paddock. But he'll be back if he has any luck at all.

I think it's all set up for Jack Graham to take the captaincy in 2022 and 2022 will be Cotch's last season.

I'm staggered that he is going on
He looks spent and his body needs rest.
Maybe one more

Give him an extended break and see how he comes up in 2022. He hasn't really had a clear run at recovering before a season for a couple of years. Stays in 2022 and then assess the state of his body after having a decent break and a clear run into the season.

DS

I watched the 2017 finals highlights. Cothchin is nowhere near the player he was back then.

The thinking is that he will groom his successor for a year before he retires. Makes sense, but no idea if it will happen that way.
Groom? was that pun intended?
And does that rule out Graham and Vlastuin?, neither of whom have the hair to ever live up to the high standard that has been set.

• Haha
I just watched bachar's speech and he said trent is having surgery today. Does anyone know what the surgery is.

I think he’s got one more year in him. Not fussed whether he retains the captaincy or not. Just want him to go out on top - and not dragging a busted body over the line.