Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Jeez, he'd have to be the most underrated champion of the game I can think of. Not best 22? Did his leg fall off? We're talking about Trent Cotchin. Champion of the game. Was in great nick in 2022. Will play 2023 a year younger than Duckwood was last year.

Trent Cotchin. That's who we're talking about. He's more likely to win the Norm Smith than lose his place in the side. I'm getting Greg Williams '95 vibes (5 goals in the granny from a non goal-kicker who had never previously kicked 5 goals in a half just to prove a point).

Reactions: 13 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Jeez, he'd have to be the most underrated champion of the game I can think of. Not best 22? Did his leg fall off? We're talking about Trent Cotchin. Champion of the game. Was in great nick in 2022. Will play 2023 a year younger than Duckwood was last year.

Trent Cotchin. That's who we're talking about. He's more likely to win the Norm Smith than lose his place in the side. I'm getting Greg Williams '95 vibes (5 goals in the granny from a non goal-kicker who had never previously kicked 5 goals in a half just to prove a point).
Chimp will probably win the Brownlow again. That’s my gut feel.

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

I'm not questioning him as a midfielder, but if he were to move to either end it's a totally different story.

How often do you hear people say champion midfielder xxxxxx is so good he will be able to extend his career by moving forward later in his career and how often does it actually work out? Almost never.

Doesn't matter how good you are, taking on a totally different role at any stage of your career is a huge challenge and rarely works.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Cotch's greatest strength the past few years has been sacrificing his natural game to do the heavy lifting & make the team better.
He was fantastic last season when asked to carry plenty. That doesn't always get you the Supercoach points the nuffies look at but the club knows Trent's impact.
If he doesn't have to be at the coal face the entire time (& he's fully fit), then there's no doubt he can have an impact again this season in a role.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Cotch will be an absolute weapon in the midfield with the pace off the game. He will play in bursts with 10 possessions in some quarters.
I agree, he is not a permanent forward. He won't be doing a Bartlett.
He will continue to do what he has done best for so long.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Its a tough spot to be in for Cotch

Looks like they are priming him for it through the pre season, so when he does rest forward he can have an impact

Doubt he will kick many goals, but I do expect him to be involved in more.

Off topic, the 150/1 for Dusty winning the coleman for me is a solid investment, hopefully with Taranto and Hopper and Prestia Graham and Sonz and Bolton handling the middle he gets a go at it.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'm not questioning him as a midfielder, but if he were to move to either end it's a totally different story.

How often do you hear people say champion midfielder xxxxxx is so good he will be able to extend his career by moving forward later in his career and how often does it actually work out? Almost never.

Doesn't matter how good you are, taking on a totally different role at any stage of your career is a huge challenge and rarely works.
Cotch will be an absolute weapon in the midfield with the pace off the game. He will play in bursts with 10 possessions in some quarters.
I agree, he is not a permanent forward. He won't be doing a Bartlett.
He will continue to do what he has done best for so long.
Yes, I think we'll see Chimp used in bursts in the midfield. Our starting centre square trio will likely be Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, meaning our second-string team is Dusty, Chimp, Shai. Terrifying for the bad guys.

Trent would excel off half-back, as Leysy and I have argued. But looks like he'll be used forward, which is tougher. But easier than what he's been doing for 15 years. He'll be a threat forward, I have no doubt.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Chimp will probably win the Brownlow again. That’s my gut feel.
Not sure he has a Brownlow in him but I do expect high impact. Playing as a B-team midfielder will ease the load and he's gonna murder some C-graders. My dream result this year is for Chimp to win the Norm in a premiership side. That would stick it up the haters good and proper, once and for all.

Reactions: 3 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Kane Cornes said yesterday he is not sure if Cotchin is in our best 22 out of the midfield.

Has anyone else had that thought? Must admit I find it is hard to fit him into our best 22, he ends up on the bench in a 'don't really know where to put him' spot.

If he is going forward I hope it works, otherwise it might get awkward if he battles a bit.

What??

He finished 6th in our B&F last year. He's hardly on his last legs. Mentioned before he's the same age as Dangerfield.

Is there a cleaner player on our list below his knees? Maybe only Bakes.

Is anyone as dual sided by hand and foot? Not many.

How many are as creative with their disposal as Chimp? Maybe Dusty.

Who can draw teammates to the right position to receive the ball that they themselves didn't know to go there (until they get it)? Again maybe Dusty.

Who can draw the opposition to themselves, to take the heat/hit before releasing creatively by hand to create the overlap? None.

Who can read the play like Chimp? Not many.

Not to mention his attack on the ball when it's in dispute.

With those football qualities he will add value anywhere. Backline (leysy's choice)? He would be an upgrade on Short in an instant. Forward line - Unless he magically loses all of the above he will add huge value.

Seems like because he's needed to play that defensive mid role you've forgotten all the wonderful football attributes he has.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Not sure he has a Brownlow in him but I do expect high impact. Playing as a B-team midfielder will ease the load and he's gonna murder some C-graders. My dream result this year is for Chimp to win the Norm in a premiership side. That would stick it up the haters good and proper, once and for all.
Stop being so negative.

He’ll win both.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I'm not sold on Cotchy forward, but I like the idea of him training there.

Our centre line is effectively brand new next year. A transition midfield in transition.

My guess is Cotchy will no longer be opening but headlining. Let the youngsters ride the energy, then come out later with his greatest hits. He'll go mid in the dark, dangerous muck of time on and smash some pretenders who are already panting on the ropes after Hopper and Taranto have had their way with them.

He'll demand an opponent forward. He's lost the legs he needed to be a truly damaging forward. But you don't leave 3 time premiership captain Trent Cotchin on a resting ruckman. And legs or no, he won't let Saad take three bounces past him.

But the forward role is almost Secondary. Worst comes to worst, he matches Castagna in goal output. But goes in to the centre for a quarter of each quarter for a cannonball run.

I like the idea. But we need a goal a game for it to be a year long proposition.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He’s kicked 21 in a year and 18 or so in a couple of other years whilst playing in the midfield.

Ergo, he should kick about 95 or so playing permanently up forward.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Seems like because he's needed to play that defensive mid role you've forgotten all the wonderful football attributes he has.
Exactly. With Hopper and Taranto taking over the brute work, we'll see Dancin' Chimp tootin' the kazoo.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
My guess is Cotchy will no longer be opening but headlining. Let the youngsters ride the energy, then come out later with his greatest hits. He'll go mid in the dark, dangerous muck of time on and smash some pretenders who are already panting on the ropes after Hopper and Taranto have had their way with them.
Dyer'ere observed last year that we were timing our surges with Chimp's energy. He would take over the game and we would put the hammer down, often in the second quarter. We'll be able to do it to even greater effect this year.

That article by the amateur in the Roar questioning Trent's place in the team referred to him as a "mid-30s stalwart". What an insult. He's going to remind everyone that he is a 32/33-year-old champion.

*Stalwart.* Go *smile* yourself, wannabe Jon Ralph.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Kane Cornes said yesterday he is not sure if Cotchin is in our best 22 out of the midfield.

Has anyone else had that thought? Must admit I find it is hard to fit him into our best 22, he ends up on the bench in a 'don't really know where to put him' spot.

If he is going forward I hope it works, otherwise it might get awkward if he battles a bit.
If a fit Cotchin is not in our best 22 then we wont lose a game this year.

Please dont get sucked into the Kane Cornes hyperbole. You should be better than that.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

I think that is true. Leigh Matthews, Kevin Bartlett … rarified air.
I don’t expect to see Cotchin as a permanent forward but I do expect to see him there at times along with Dusty and Shai who will also be rotating through the midfield.
It is his kicking that worries me, struggles to get more than about 40-45 these days and that is a problem for a forward.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Our 3 time Captain courageous will be given AFL Life Membership next month, a very well deserved honour for our champion.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
My dream result this year is for Chimp to win the Norm in a premiership side. That would stick it up the haters good and proper, once and for all.
Only time in my life I wish that Cornes had won one.... and he was due for the presenting duties!