Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

We have 3 players in our era that will not only make the hall of fame, but deserve legend status:
- Cotchy (3 time premiership captain, Brownlow medallist, AA, 3 x JD medallist, and will play 300+ games).
- Dusty (the GOAT of his era and will play 300+ games).
- Jack (3 x flags, 3 x Colemans, 3 x AA’s, 2 x JD medallist, 300+ games).
Massive,

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not questioning him as a midfielder, but if he were to move to either end it's a totally different story.

How often do you hear people say champion midfielder xxxxxx is so good he will be able to extend his career by moving forward later in his career and how often does it actually work out? Almost never.

Doesn't matter how good you are, taking on a totally different role at any stage of your career is a huge challenge and rarely works.
I can think of Leigh Matthews and Kevin Bartlett off top of my head. Will be interesting to see what Fyfe can do if stays on the park. What are some of the ‘rarely worked’ examples of Champs not working out when moved forward - or back.?

I said they "deserve" legend status. doesn't mean they will receive it. We all know what AFL-run selection panels think of our players
I’ve posted elsewhere but can’t find it now. When he plays his 300th, he will have achieved what only one other player has done in the history of the VFL/ AFL
- played 300 games
- be a 3 x Premiership captain
- Brownlow Medallist
Other players have achieved 1 or 2 of the above but not all three.
The player he joins in this rare feat is *smile* Reynolds

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I can think of Leigh Matthews and Kevin Bartlett off top of my head. Will be interesting to see what Fyfe can do if stays on the park. What are some of the ‘rarely worked’ examples of Champs not working out when moved forward - or back.?
Selwood.

• Haha
I’ve posted elsewhere but can’t find it now. When he plays his 300th, he will have achieved what only one other player has done in the history of the VFL/ AFL
- played 300 games
- be a 3 x Premiership captain
- Brownlow Medallist
Other players have achieved 1 or 2 of the above but not all three.
The player he joins in this rare feat is *smile* Reynolds
Reynolds getting censored with the swear filter!

Hahahaha. Brilliant.

There really is ZERO love for Essendon on this site...

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Throw in Pendles last year

Just about anyone else you can name I reckon.

When midfielders are at their peak the talk is always they could go forward and be a great small forward in their twilight years but it almost never happens.

Gary Ablett Jnr was one, I'd put Fyfe and Cripps in that category as well, even Dustin has shown he would struggle as a full time forward I think.

Just about anyone else you can name I reckon.

When midfielders are at their peak the talk is always they could go forward and be a great small forward in their twilight years but it almost never happens.

Gary Ablett Jnr was one, I'd put Fyfe and Cripps in that category as well, even Dustin has shown he would struggle as a full time forward I think.
Are you naming them as examples of ones that didn’t work or failures, going back to your original post?
Surely their contributions have them in the team as forwards. Cripps?even Dusty? !
Mid-small Forwards cover a heap of ground these days role is different now to a Leigh Matthews traditional ‘forward pocket’ I agree with that .

Fyfe can’t be called a failed forward yet, has played well there many times, maybe at end of this year will tell the story.
Agree to disagree on this one.!

Are you naming them as examples of ones that didn’t work or failures, going back to your original post?

Yep, I think we've seen enough to say Cripps, Fyfe, even Dustin are never going to be stand alone AFL forwards as their first string position. They are midfielders who can play minutes forward and have impact but going there full time is a different story.

Not sure had any real time forward was still playing mostly mid? He seemed to ply well enough to me wherever he played certainly to be in their best 22 and not a ‘failure.’
Selwood on the back flank to give opportunities to younger mids. Was mostly rotten.
Moved back to midfield where he was back to his effective.
He wouldnt have got a guernsey as a backman, probs not forward either

Only problem with Dunstall was boredom. Charisma free on field. Haw just mechanical in their delivery. He was no Plugger or Gazza or Waynker to watch.

Yep, I think we've seen enough to say Cripps, Fyfe, even Dustin are never going to be stand alone AFL forwards as their first string position. They are midfielders who can play minutes forward and have impact but going there full time is a different story.
Ok will be an interesting watch.!

Selwood on the back flank to give opportunities to younger mids. Was mostly rotten.
Moved back to midfield where he was back to his effective.
He wouldnt have got a guernsey as a backman, probs not forward either
Ok I concede Selwood , happy to call him a one trick pony..!

Great to read the training reports on how well Cotch is training. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Trent is a deadset champion and will dominate in whatever position he plays.

Reactions: 2 users