TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Disco said:
Brilliant show. Have 6 seasons on DVD. Need to get my hands on 7.

Yeah, great isn’t it. Every character a gem.
When I first started watching it there was this weird quality to it which I just couldn’t quite identify or articulate until I discovered the doco on disc 1 (I think) on which Larry David explains how each episode is made up of a series scenarios, each is unscripted and its really up to the actors to adlib to get to the desired end point. Brilliant idea!

After watching CYE it’s pretty much torturous now to watch any comedy with taped laughs like Seinfeld etc etc Ruined for life! :)

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Been watching Get Smart on DVD iwth the kids (7 & 9). Never too early to expose them to culture.

Almost finished, have 'The Good Life' box set to watch with them next.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
My wife is Thai and loves the old "Are You Being Served” – that style of humour is apparently similar to a lot of contemporary Thai stand up comedy. But for me out of that vintage Ronnie Barker's "Porridge" hits the spot.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
glantone said:
My wife is Thai and loves the old "Are You Being Served” – that style of humour is apparently similar to a lot of contemporary Thai stand up comedy. But for me out of that vintage Ronnie Barker's "Porridge" hits the spot.

"I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeee" ;D No 1 sitcom theme song if I remember right.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
How have I only just found out about Man Vs Food? On ch 646 on Foxtel.
The most amazing food ever. The guy who hosts it is gold. No doubt this will come to Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqIWPvCgi9g&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE_gmsWG4yY

Also, I know it is way past being cool but Top Gear is on the series link.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
How have you only just seen it now SCOOP. Great show. It's on TLC which is 646 on Austar.

My favourite (and maybe this is from the other cool food show, world's best food on the same channel) was the double cheeseburger which used two ham and cheese toasties as the buns. :hihi

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Disco08 said:
How have you only just seen it now SCOOP. Great show. It's on TLC which is 646 on Austar.

My favourite (and maybe this is from the other cool food show, world's best food on the same channel) was the double cheeseburger which used two ham and cheese toasties as the buns. :hihi

Don't know Disco, I should be hung up and publicly stoned.

But I like finding things this way, if everyone tells me how grear something is I will make sure I avoid it. I like to stumble onto things. Did the same thing with The Wire, The Sopranos, Mad Men and a thousand other things.

PS. If you haven't watched The Wire, do it!!!

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Foxtel?

Don't know why I told you what channel it was on when you said it in your post either. I think I only read the bit about coming to Australia and though you meant to watch. I'd love to see him come and do an episode here. Melbourne would have to have some pretty good chow down spots wouldn't it?

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Easily the best drama show I have seen is Breaking Bad! Everyone needs to check it out. It is unbelievable!

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I think Breaking Bad is great but IMHO the best drama on TV at the moment is Mad Men. I've just finished watching season 4 and it is the best season of the show yet. It ended with a strange downer of an episode but overall it was fantastic.

OTOH another show I like a lot, Sons of Anarchy, is in the middle of an extremely poor 3rd season. Its been spinning its wheels with dramatically uninteresting episodes setting up the second half of the season. I just hope it picks up in the second half.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
IanG said:
I think Breaking Bad is great but IMHO the best drama on TV at the moment is Mad Men. I've just finished watching season 4 and it is the best season of the show yet. It ended with a strange downer of an episode but overall it was fantastic.

OTOH another show I like a lot, Sons of Anarchy, is in the middle of an extremely poor 3rd season. Its been spinning its wheels with dramatically uninteresting episodes setting up the second half of the season. I just hope it picks up in the second half.

I've heard a bit about Mad Men may have to check it out, thanks!

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Have gotten into the show "Community" lately, i'd highly suggest you check it out, its a well put together comedy show. Pretty good!

Have also finished all of Dexter, which I thought was brilliant! Mad men, which was also good! And lastly Its always sunny in Philadelphia, which was one of the best comedy shows I have ever seen! I loved it!

I'm about to start watching Sons of Anarchy, which is supposedly quite good!

Does anybody have any other suggestions for shows?

Thanks!

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Thought this season of Mad Men was pretty good. Although the ending left me a bit meh, Don getting married again screamed of a shock plot twist for the sake of having it.

Also really liked this season of Dexter but the last ten minutes left me with some massive logistic question marks.

SPOILER ALERT.

Dex drives into Jordan's camp and his car is rolled by the tractor in the way on a blind corner. Deb follows later and has no problems with it.
Deb lets Dex and Lumine go because they are riding the earth of the raping gang that Jordan was in charge of and made a Dexter like choice that those people deserved to die. Tells them they have a hour to get out of there. How did Dex and Luminee get the body out and cut?

SPOILER ENDING.

Also, really like Tangle on showcase. Great Aussie drama, so good. My favourite Aussie show of the last 5 years. Cannot speak highly enough of it.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Rfc4Ever said:
Southland's good.
Thanks! I'll check it out!

SCOOP said:
Thought this season of Mad Men was pretty good. Although the ending left me a bit meh, Don getting married again screamed of a shock plot twist for the sake of having it.

Also really liked this season of Dexter but the last ten minutes left me with some massive logistic question marks.

SPOILER ALERT.

Dex drives into Jordan's camp and his car is rolled by the tractor in the way on a blind corner. Deb follows later and has no problems with it.
Deb lets Dex and Lumine go because they are riding the earth of the raping gang that Jordan was in charge of and made a Dexter like choice that those people deserved to die. Tells them they have a hour to get out of there. How did Dex and Luminee get the body out and cut?

SPOILER ENDING.

Also, really like Tangle on showcase. Great Aussie drama, so good. My favourite Aussie show of the last 5 years. Cannot speak highly enough of it.

I am always finding all the holes in 'Dexter' I tend to ruin it for myself doing that, and did notice that in the season final! Lumine annoyed me throughout the season.
*Fun fact*
Did you know Dexter is married to Deb in real life? But they are getting divorced, apparently he had an affair with Lumine.
I think that divorce will affect the show in season 6 in some way, I feel like Deb might be killed off. I hope not though!

I will check out Tangle as well! I have heard a bit about it!

Foxtrot

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2003
Bathurst NSW
Tigertool said:
Have gotten into the show "Community" lately, i'd highly suggest you check it out, its a well put together comedy show. Pretty good!

Have heard a lot of good things about this show - will give it a go shortly.

Not sure if it's everyone's cup of tea, but I've been watching a UK show called Misfits lately. It's about a bunch of young juvenile offenders who get hit by lightning in a freak storm and gain super powers as a result. I'd blame no one for scoffing at that description but it is a pretty interesting show, with elements of thriller, sci-fi, horror and comedy. The "super powers" the kids get aren't of the traditional super hero variety and actually cause more problems than they solve - and are tied in with each characters pre-existing psychological issues. Reading this back I realise it's a tough sell - but I assure you it's a fun show.

Agree with some previous comments re Dexter - It jumped the shark with the Lithgow season imo. Difficult to maintain the suspension of disbelief required the longer it continues. I really enjoyed the season with Jimmy Smits.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
SCOOP said:
I thought it was a vital piece of characterisation. Don either continued moving forwards or retreated back to his old ways, he chose the latter.

I concur with Community it is the best comedy show in TV. Other recent shows: Boardwalk Empire has been mentioned before. I've just started watching the second seaason of Justified and it is fantastic, essentially a western set in modern times in backwoods redneck Kentucky. Its based on a story and character written by the great crime writer Elmore Leonard and stars Timothy Olyphant who of course was Seth Bullock in Deadwood. His character, Rayland Givens, a US Marshal, is similar to Bullock with perhaps a bit more humour. It also stars Walton Coggins who was Shane on The Shield.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Couldn't wait for Boardwalk Empire so I watched the pilot yesterday arvo.

Wow. Get on board. Amazing, felt like I was watching a blockbuster movie. Perfect period piece. This will be huge.

Anyone who liked Mad Men, The Wire, The Soprano's, Deadwood or Rome will love this.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Boardwalk is a bit meh for me so far. I've watched 3 eps, but it isn't asking to be watched. Star Trek: The Next Generation has my attention now. Man those sets are pathetic hehe.