TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
From my experience in pro soccer and footy, you can't really compare them.

Firstly there's a lot less players in a soccer squad and they don't really have the development aspect that AFL teams do.

When I watched this a few weeks ago I was curious as to how many there are on their list So I looked it up.

27 on their first players list and 22 on their under 23 list.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Firstly there's a lot less players in a soccer squad and they don't really have the development aspect that AFL teams do.

Secondly, due to the heavy schedules soccer really doesn't train more than having a kick around. Every session is more or less what we would call a Captain's run.

Lastly, the intensity of coaching is much less in soccer. It's more about individual brilliance, almost an individual game within a team. I'm definitely biased because I don't like soccer and still don't fully understand it, but in my experience AFL clubs do more coaching in a week than pro soccer does in a season.

Maybe. But i reckon Australian Cricket team would have heaps of hangers-on too and they would have a small squad and where fitness is a secondary concern.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Comparing all the areas I have worked now.

The Australian Cricket set-up is definitely more people heavy than probably any other pro sport in the world I'd guess.

Half a dozen coaches for 15 players, plus Dr, Physio, Massage, Security, Scorer, Selector, various Managers and always a few more from Cricket Australia in tow. The staff to player ratio would be approaching 2:1 and beyond at times, especially on tour.
BTW, not saying we have it right. In fact, one of the things that will come out of all this is the demise of the superfluous hanger-on.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Lastly, the intensity of coaching is much less in soccer. It's more about individual brilliance, almost an individual game within a team. I'm definitely biased because I don't like soccer and still don't fully understand it, but in my experience AFL clubs do more coaching in a week than pro soccer does in a season.

Have to disagree on the individual vs team aspects TBR. Players are highly disciplined in football and have specific roles to play depending on attack, transition, contest etc. Teams also play different formations and can change formations depending on play phase as well. There is a strong emphasis on individual technique - dribbling, passing, heading, tackling etc but I'm not sure it would be that much more than Aussie Rules technique in handball, marking, passing, ruck, spoiling etc.

There is the old joke about the striker who was lax about running back to defend - the manager says "Are you either Christiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi? No? In that, case *smile* defend". At the top of the very top some players might have total free reign, but this would be very rare.

Agree that busier game schedules probably mean less actual time coaching. More games probably mean less time required for physical conditioning between games, plus games are shorter and distances run mostly shorter too.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Have to disagree on the individual vs team aspects TBR. Players are highly disciplined in football and have specific roles to play depending on attack, transition, contest etc. Teams also play different formations and can change formations depending on play phase as well. There is a strong emphasis on individual technique - dribbling, passing, heading, tackling etc but I'm not sure it would be that much more than Aussie Rules technique in handball, marking, passing, ruck, spoiling etc.

There is the old joke about the striker who was lax about running back to defend - the manager says "Are you either Christiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi? No? In that, case ****** defend". At the top of the very top some players might have total free reign, but this would be very rare.

Agree that busier game schedules probably mean less actual time coaching. More games probably mean less time required for physical conditioning between games, plus games are shorter and distances run mostly shorter too.
What did you think of Better Call Saul finale A-man?

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
We’ve just binged on five seasons of Peaky Fooking Blinders. Great show. Somehow though, every character seemed to have the same middle name. What are the chances?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
What did you think of Better Call Saul finale A-man?

What saved the series for me was Tony Dalton as Lalo. Creepy, yet charismatic and funny. I like Nacho as well. Jimmie McGill is almost the least interesting person on the show for me these days.

Interesting twist with Kim's character development. Don't really buy it personally.

Pretty good finale though.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

Secondly, due to the heavy schedules soccer really doesn't train more than having a kick around. Every session is more or less what we would call a Captain's run.

Except our coaches have copied a lot of strategy especially defence from soccer.
But take your point Gerard Feguson never felt the need to travel to Mlb to learn from Clarko the Magician or the great Sheedy.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
What saved the series for me was Tony Dalton as Lalo. Creepy, yet charismatic and funny. I like Nacho as well. Jimmie McGill is almost the least interesting person on the show for me these days.

Interesting twist with Kim's character development. Don't really buy it personally.

Pretty good finale though.
i couldn't agree that post anymore as though i had written it. I find the mexican drug cartel story line more interesting than the Jimmy story line in isolation even though they are merging. Love Lalo and Nacho characters too. Although props to the writers for the gradual downward spiral of Jimmy's character; although, and this may be deliberate, he has become less and less likeable.

I wonder if they will have a final series of Jimmy in the future (or a final episode dedicated to it).

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Apparently the entire series has been leaked on line

Episode 3-8 were leaked. Watermarked, time marker, at Screener quality (think DVD). Decided to wait for the official releases.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Episode 3-8 were leaked. Watermarked, time marker, at Screener quality (think DVD). Decided to wait for the official releases.

I watched number 3 with a focus on Dennis Rodman, good episode but the time stamps etc are really annoying. Waiting for the genuine eps to drop now.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Without a shadow of a doubt. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Two eps into Sunderland and hooked. Football and its import to struggletowns - universal.
It was a pre-2017 Richmond type ending. Unfortunate.

I couldn't help looking up the results for this season. The league has 7 rounds to go. Not sure if they'll complete it but Sunderland is precariously perched for a series 3.
1588062945610.png

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Unorthodox was good without being great. The actress playing Esty was magnificent though.

The Last Dance still fascinating. Just curious why Luc Longley doesn’t crack a mention?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I think his time will come, especially around Jordan verballing team mates.

Thus far it has really only been Jordan, Pippen and Rodman with a few cameos from the others.
I'm really enjoying the Last Dance but it does jump around all over the place - not sure the structure is as good as it could have been. this week Rodman was playing against the Bulls, then playing for them, then taking 48 hours off due to Pippen's return and then back to playing against them again.

Reactions: 1 users