U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Better safety net, minority groups are smaller, unarmed populace. The answer is probably very complex.

We don't have a shoot first, ask questions later culture enshrined in our social psyche.

By the way, if you do, the solution isn't shoot more. Obviously, I would have thought.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Unfortunate for them but Merica has been rooted for a long time, Trump aint great but to blame him & his team on this latest fiasco is fanciful

Black deaths in custody were occurring before 2016
School massacres were occurring before 2016
The NRA were the biggest influencer of policy before 2016
They were an inherently racist country before 2016
etc etc

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
China was the worst place in the world this virus could have happened because they control their media so tightly & are more interested in saving face & their booming economy than protecting the rest of the world. Whatever happened to those whistleblower doctors who were trying desperately to warn people via social media just how bad things were there?!! They vanished is what happened. WHOs response was weak & poor as they pandered to a nation that wields way too much power over them. No doubt they have have very little access to investigate why this outbreak happened. China cannot be trusted one iota & now the entire world is suffering. Our best hope is another virus outbreak doesn’t happen there.
I’m not going to argue with you about the WHO. I will declare that I know a couple of people who work there in Geneva. Some of the so called “facts” about what happened are not really facts at all.
China on the other hand is by far the most likely to be the place for the next pandemic to start but the irony of what has happened is that the vilification of China, however justified, will make that more likely rather than less.
I’m not defending them but that is the sad truth.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
China on the other hand is by far the most likely to be the place for the next pandemic to start but the irony of what has happened is that the vilification of China, however justified, will make that more likely rather than less.

What can you do about a nation that has no shame? I'd like to think if Australia inflicted this pestilence on the world through either unsanitary culture or dubious research, we would be at the very least sheepish and wanting to atone.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
What can you do about a nation that has no shame? I'd like to think if Australia inflicted this pestilence on the world through either unsanitary culture or weapons research, we would be at the very least sheepish and wanting to atone.

Weapons research? Really? You're going to hold that line as well? The only people to claim that, without any evidence, are Trump, Fox and the rest of the MAGA idiots.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Police culture is very warped in the US. Look at the Floyd killing. There are 4 police officers who are implored by bystanders to 'not kill' Floyd for 8 minutes. There is no acknowledgement, no interaction. That is sociopathic behaviour and it's not a rogue cop. It's all four cops.

Next day they arrest a CNN reporter (black) on live TV. The reporter shows credentials, is polite and asks where the cops want him to go so he doesn't get in the way. When he is arrested he asks why. Again no acknowledgement, no interaction - absolute police state stuff. You wonder if he wasn't CNN and not on live TV (the cops didn't know - They actually carry the camera away and its shooting ashpalt shots) what would have happened to him, Once again sociopathic behaviour and culturally ingrained and almost as chilling as the Floyd murder.

I think I am with George Carlin in that this doesn't get resolved at the ballot box in the US but in some large scale violence. Its probably closer now than we realised, especially when you factor in a more toxic and incompetent leadership than usual.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I’m not defending them but that is the sad truth.

Yep it's bad alright. Don't confuse vilification with justified criticism though.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Either the dead guy had a lot of friends or they're taking an opportunity to indulge their inner criminal.

A journo infiltrated a London mob in 2011 and asked why they were looting and burning. Answers ranged from boredom to "It's a chance to get some nice stuff for free".
A way too simplistic View of what is happening.
I have received messages from friends in the US who follow smaller and independent news outlets lamenting that all we are seeing is the violence. Examples of what we are not seeing are things like
- many peaceful multiracial protests in Minneapolis
- articles about bus drivers refusing orders to drive arrested protesters to jail
- images of white woman forming human chains between police and black protesters to protect them

If we just watch the mainstream media we won’t know what is really happening. Maybe the examples I was sent are more representative of what is actually happening but they don’t make sensational stories?
I don’t know but what I do know is that saying everyone who is protesting has an inner criminal and wants to get stuff free is not true

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Can't comment authoritatively as I've never been there. There's always been an undercurrent of tension that erupts periodically. They let O.J. off so the public wouldn't burn Los Angeles to the ground.

Yeah, it's complex. Coppers are being shot or run over every week in the US. Most of the bad guys have guns and some good guys have guns. If they're trigger-happy or hyper-aware of demographic factors, who am I to judge. It's not a job I'd volunteer for. I don't know for sure but have long suspected it's too easy to become a cop in the US. There doesn't seem to be the same respect for police as here.

Likewise, coppers are always shooting crims or suspected crims. They shoot twice as many whites as blacks. If you're unable to protest peacefully then maybe you shouldn't choose to engage.

On the other hand, the lot of blacks and other minorities improved steadily under Trump until the Wuhan virus. I reckon it's a bit like feminism - they're still angry even after they're wearing the pants.

By sheer numbers yes they shoot more white people but on a per capita basis (Trump can explain this to you) they shoot more than twice as many black people as white.

"
A 2018 study in the​
found the mortality rate by police per 100,000 was 1.9 to 2.4 for black men, 0.8 to 1.2 for Hispanic men and 0.6 to 0.7 for white men"​

The issue in America sure is complex as they are probably the most racist country I have been to. Whilst they don't technically physically segregate the population there is a massive level of social segregation which invariably is driven by economic activity but is therefore also driven by colour in the US. This leads to a lot more economic driven crime, and in some aspects I'd include gang and drug culture to be reflective of that. When given the choice of working for a living in Walmart and then having a 2nd job at the local gas station or taking the risk and joining a gang, a higher proportion of black s/ Hispanics make that decision as opposed to the white population.

They have done nothing to try and deal with this underlying inequity for decades so for me it will never chance unless there is a mass revolution that helps no-one.​

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Weapons research? Really? You're going to hold that line as well? The only people to claim that, without any evidence, are Trump, Fox and the rest of the MAGA idiots.

You were too quick quoting me before I could change it. I don't know what the truth is. None of us do.

I dismissed this guy as a kook at the time, but he's obviously a very smart man with vast experience in the field. He was in no doubt.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
A way too simplistic View of what is happening.
I have received messages from friends in the US who follow smaller and independent news outlets lamenting that all we are seeing is the violence. Examples of what we are not seeing are things like
- many peaceful multiracial protests in Minneapolis
- articles about bus drivers refusing orders to drive arrested protesters to jail
- images of white woman forming human chains between police and black protesters to protect them

If we just watch the mainstream media we won’t know what is really happening. Maybe the examples I was sent are more representative of what is actually happening but they don’t make sensational stories?
I don’t know but what I do know is that saying everyone who is protesting has an inner criminal and wants to get stuff free is not true

Sure. I don't claim to know what's happening in any detail, I haven't followed o/s news for weeks.

Do you think perhaps the mainstream media provides a warped perspective of Donald Trump?

They're forever in search of a headline, jumping on a word out of place or showing a snippet of footage out of context. Crap shows like Today Tonight are forever fanning the flames by creating confected outrage.

Violence grabs more attention than peaceful protest.

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
By sheer numbers yes they shoot more white people but on a per capita basis (Trump can explain this to you) they shoot more than twice as many black people as white.

Maybe the stats also suggest that crime is more endemic to certain demographics. If a cop's experience tells him that certain people are more likely to be trouble, it is what it is. We're conditioned to learn that way.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Do you think perhaps the mainstream media provides a warped perspective of Donald Trump?

You don't need the help of mainstream media organisations to get a true understanding of Trump. Just listen/read his own words, what he says, unedited, through multiple media platforms.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You don't need the help of mainstream media organisations to get a true understanding of Trump. Just listen/read his own words, what he says, unedited, through multiple media platforms.

If he was as bad as he is painted here, he would have no supporters left. The reporting is not balanced, in fact it's deliberately unbalanced.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If he was as bad as he is painted here, he would have no supporters left. The reporting is not balanced, in fact it's deliberately unbalanced.

Again, no needs mainstream media when it comes to Trump. He says what he says, loud and proud. Often tries to back track a day or so later, but he says what he says.