Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
View attachment 14647
Put a yellow sash across it, huge marketing potential
Nah.... definitely a Geelong thing... Down in the rooms late at night after training. ...

I'm picturing Hawkins with the billiard ball strapped in his gob, Dangerfield as Bruce Willis, Selwood the bent copper and Gryan Miers as the shopkeeper. ...... of course only one bloke down there could exit the dungeon wearing that get up.... bring out the Scotty!

Slightly different ending to the pulp fiction scenario. .... The boys enjoy it so much.... they make it a weekly event!

How's it go?...... that's right, I'll see myself out!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Putting a lot on a young kid who has only been in the system for a few weeks especially when we have battle hardened players fit and ready to roll all around the field. That said I hope he makes it

The Mind Shapers in the club have probably identified him as one that reacts positively when he's being pumped up. Very little comes out of clubland these days without it being well massaged. Last time I think RFC did it was when Rance questioned whether Tom Lynch would disrupt the team dynamic

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Can see why the powers that be selected Gibcus ahead of a midfielder, a good big man will always beat a good little man.

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Can see why the powers that be selected Gibcus ahead of a midfielder, a good big man will always beat a good little man.
Gibcus was a dream but highly unlikely to fall to our selection with both GWS & GC after KPD
Fin Callaghan having so much attention and a bolter in the last half of the season and Mac Andrews looking like a freak to entice Suns to take him open the door for Gibcus to fall through. Josh Gibcus is a top #5 player in the draft and will play 250 games

Sonsie is the real hidden gem Richmond selected, Top #3 at the start of 2021 and in talks about even being the #1 pick falling through to #28 was fantastic and we wouldnt have blinked an eye lid if we selected him with our pick #15

Brown is the 'Bonus' we selected and another player that will play 200+ games

Richmond did extremely well in the draft

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Gibcus was a dream but highly unlikely to fall to our selection with both GWS & GC after KPD
Fin Callaghan having so much attention and a bolter in the last half of the season and Mac Andrews looking like a freak to entice Suns to take him open the door for Gibcus to fall through. Josh Gibcus is a top #5 player in the draft and will play 250 games

Sonsie is the real hidden gem Richmond selected, Top #3 at the start of 2021 and in talks about even being the #1 pick falling through to #28 was fantastic and we wouldnt have blinked an eye lid if we selected him with our pick #15

I may just *smile* myself if the “Fonz” ends up better than Daicos.

• Haha

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Brown looks likely as well Turk, as you say, and Banks has something about him also.

Hopefully we grabbed a few specials.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
assuming Charlie Curnow is fit come round 1 will most likely be pitted against Gibcus. This will free up Tarrant to go to McKay, Grimes to play small, and the higher likelihood of Balta playing forward/pinch hitting in the ruck
Are we assuming Soldo doesn’t play round 1?
Because what I observed in yesterday’s scratch match was that he comfortably beat Nanks at the centre bounce ball ups and was a strong presence around the ground too.
Getting the ball to your midfielders at the centre bounce or even just getting it going forward is such an advantage and gives you every chance to score by hitting up the short leading target.
Don’t count on him not playing but does beg the question about Balta’s role.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Are we assuming Soldo doesn’t play round 1?
Because what I observed in yesterday’s scratch match was that he comfortably beat Nanks at the centre bounce ball ups and was a strong presence around the ground too.
Getting the ball to your midfielders at the centre bounce or even just getting it going forward is such an advantage and gives you every chance to score by hitting up the short leading target.
Don’t count on him not playing but does beg the question about Balta’s role.
Having a captain who is a ruckman must be dispiriting for the other rucks on the list. He’s not going to miss a game regardless of form or ability. We suddenly look locked in to going very tall or dropping a player. Can you play lynch, reiwold, balta, soldo, nanks, Tarrant, grimes, gibcus all in the same team?

Edit - without drastically altering our game plan?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Having a captain who is a ruckman must be dispiriting for the other rucks on the list. He’s not going to miss a game regardless of form or ability. We suddenly look locked in to going very tall or dropping a player. Can you play lynch, reiwold, balta, soldo, nanks, Tarrant, grimes, gibcus all in the same team?

Edit - without drastically altering our game plan?
It’s a very valid question.
Pre draft, I was all aboard the Gibcus bus from day dot. In fact think I was driving the bus when many argued we had to go midfielder centric.
My rationale was that we had no outstanding developing KP players laying in wait other than Biggy and Miller who both still have question marks on their ability to step up, even though we’ve seen glimpses.
What I didn’t count on was Gibcus looking so ready made and the late recruitment of Tarrant.
All of a sudden, we do look tall. And very capable.
But one thing I know for sure was that for a period of time in 2019, Soldo was our preferred number 1 ruckman who time and again put the ball on a silver platter to Martin and co. Think the coaches were well aware that Nanks gets jumped over at centre clearances and opposition scored some cheap, quick goals as a consequence. And we certainly played with the same set up in 2020 until the big fella got injured.
Cannot see Soldo dwelling in the 2nds due to structure unless something has drastically changed.

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
I don't think he will play round one unless one of the following are injured ... Grimes, Nick V, Tarrant, Broad and who knows where Balta will line up.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Don't forget Nankervis won't have been out to butcher him like he would any other ruckman.

For example, the very first bounce sat over Soldo's head and Nankervis didn't even lift the knee.
Nankervis plays with aggression and intent no doubt but he also had a 106cm 107kg mean unit, who can leap, running straight at him at the centre bounce.
Not sure the physical advantage necessarily lay with Nanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Over the top assessment of his game yesterday. Jack was in cruise mode. Still much to learn and clearly not ready for R1 IMO.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Over the top assessment of his game yesterday. Jack was in cruise mode. Still much to learn and clearly not ready for R1 IMO.
If all backs are fit and firing for R1, then there is no rush to put him in there. Let him dominate in the 2s for a while. He'll get his chance.

Reactions: 4 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
If all backs are fit and firing for R1, then there is no rush to put him in there. Let him dominate in the 2s for a while. He'll get his chance.
Listening to the Miller assessment on the RFC website, it sounds like they are keen to play him this year so Gibcus may have to wait a few weeks.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Showed some of his athletic traits yesterday, didn't look out of place which is key.