Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

We all remember that bad kick across the full back line which resulted in a Sydney goal. We will also remember the goal he kicked in the last.

But we need to look at the whole game and he is a great defender. Playing at AFL level and then on a short ground against a champion like Buddy is always going to expose a first year player. He did well, he will learn so much and he will improve, doing well already.

Simply amazing how well he has played as a first year player.

DS

Reactions: 12 users
We all remember that bad kick across the full back line which resulted in a Sydney goal. We will also remember the goal he kicked in the last.

But we need to look at the whole game and he is a great defender. Playing at AFL level and then on a short ground against a champion like Buddy is always going to expose a first year player. He did well, he will learn so much and he will improve, doing well already.

DS
Absolutely. Going real well. Went well for 75% of last night too under a BIG ask.

Player.

Reactions: 1 users
For some perspective he kept Buddy to 3 disposals up until half time. Gibcus didn’t just match it with Buddy he was giving him a fair old bath. Not bad for a first year KPD. But fatigue was naturally going to set in.

The MC were derelict in their duty. You could see as the game wore on Buddy was getting into the game. He was there match winner. Grimes or Tarrant should have been swing onto Buddy midway through the third quarter.
Yep, even in the 2nd half he did alright, 2 maybe 3 of Franklins goal were against Gibcus, he continued to deny him getting much of the ball, unfortunately Franklin was good enough to make it count when he did get it.

Reactions: 2 users

DS
Well said & let’s let him settle as a key back. Don’t try and make him a key forward.

Balta or Miller on the other hand may have to be the forward/second ruck option.

Reactions: 1 user
An old mate of mine with a birds eye veiw, front row seats, and an elite footy intellect

Compared our josh gibcus

To Ben Hart today.

I think ben hart went AA at 18?

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Last night and Dreamtime are worth 50 games experience.

Buddy wore him out physically last night, ran him around and blew him up. Thats why we started looking for body contact, he stopped just seeing the ball and jumping, he looked to stop Buddy first. He acquitted himself really well. Made some blues but that’s ok.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
An old mate of mine with a birds eye veiw, front row seats, and an elite footy intellect

Compared our josh gibcus

To Ben Hart today.

I think ben hart went AA at 18?

He actually reminds me of Bruce Doull. Safe hands, reliable kick, low profile, gets the job done.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
He actually reminds me of Bruce Doull. Safe hands, reliable kick, low profile, gets the job done.

If he is anywhere near as good as Bruce Doull I'll take it, Doull was a great player.

Just as an aside, a few months ago I saw some footage of Bruce Doull before he lost his hair, always amazing to see things like that as everyone has an image of Doull with long locks and a big bald spot along with his headband.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
If he is anywhere near as good as Bruce Doull I'll take it, Doull was a great player.

Sure was. My favourite opposition player of all time. Doull then daylight.

There was a great you tube clip of his career highlights. Not sure if it is still available, but it was amazing to watch.

says how much we rate him by putting him on Frankman
thought he did a great job, and just got a bit tired

Massive learning curve for Gibber Fri night. Did a bloody good job on Flanklin for half a game n things only got more difficult when Sydaknee started to get on top of the game n feed their forwards much better ball. Won't have done the young fella any harm getting a spell up forward n a chance to slot a sausage as well.

The goal was clutch. Ice running through his veins. First goal too right? Amazing composure. Completely lost with the finish.

Not even mention for the rising star

A few so called experts will be back tracking not noticing this kid.
9 game, plays like a 200 gamer

• Love
I don't think he will get the nomination this week, as most will look at stats unfortunately.

FWIW I think at this stage (and there aren't too many that are eligible playing today), that its probably either De Koning or Hugo this week.