Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

Copped a hiding tonight, Marshall out bodied him early stopped him getting a leap.

Good. Buddy and now Todd. Went forward both weeks and tried to get involved. Even got led to the ball when he went forward tonight. Good. Needs to being effort and play on the front foot not just coast. Not sure he’s got out of second gear yet.

Reactions: 4 users
Copped a hiding tonight, Marshall out bodied him early stopped him getting a leap.

Good. Buddy and now Todd. Went forward both weeks and tried to get involved. Even got led to the ball when he went forward tonight. Good. Needs to being effort and play on the front foot not just coast. Not sure he’s got out of second gear yet.

Both games he's been towelled and both games, he's gone and kicked a goal. Shows he will always be able to impact the game, which very few 18 year olds can do.

Reactions: 8 users
The lad is just starting his career and learning the game against big bodied experienced players so getting the occasional towelling is understandable. Over the next few seasons his body will fill out and he will be the one outmuscling opponents.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, got absolutely destroyed by a bigger, stronger, worse opponent.

That will happen. Balta on Aliir, Gibcus on Marshall are two significant positional losses. Both Port players had the physicality and nous to exploit both our young guns weaknesses. You could not engineer tougher match ups.

But we adjusted, and they responded. A lot to like about that.

The future is bright.

Reactions: 5 users
This bloke shouldn’t even been considered for a game yet, absolute freak just to be considered for the first 22 as a key defender at his age , imho could make the grade as a forward , however even with our lack of key forwards going forward I think I’d rather see us just lock in Balta an Gibbo as our key backs for the next 10 years and just build around them.

He does look like there isn't a lot of intensity when the ball hits the ground (which I am sure isn't the case).

He does look like there isn't a lot of intensity when the ball hits the ground (which I am sure isn't the case).
He actually glides.
Very smooth mover which my look like he’s lacking intensity because he’s not flaying around.
He’s a beauty

Reactions: 2 users
This kid is a beauty. Just a pup. Needs another 3-4 preseasons and spuds like Marshall won’t be getting that easy ride.

Reactions: 3 users
Geez surprised at the dissing of Marshall. Still developing a key forward physique and trending up over the last 3 years. He's not 24 yet, he's gonna be a very good long term key forward. A superstar - no. But a spud?

Reactions: 12 users
Geez surprised at the dissing of Marshall. Still developing a key forward physique and trending up over the last 3 years. He's not 24 yet, he's gonna be a very good long term key forward. A superstar - no. But a spud?

Quietly had a pretty good season playing one out in a dud forward line with a pretty agricultural midfield delivering the ball.

Reactions: 2 users
Gibson is going great guns. One bad night. Meh. To be expected. Other 9 games - fantastic.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Marshall fan. Actually got into a debate with a Port fan at the pub before the 2020 prelim, he didn't think he'd make it, I did.

Was the right move to swing him forward and Balta back. Could have happened sooner.

Hopefully he's not psychologically damaged after his time on Marshall. He needs to be playing on the more athletic talls rather than the big strong guys. Problem was it was Dixon or Marshall, both with big frames. Will be better suited to Curnow next week

Was the right move to swing him forward and Balta back. Could have happened sooner.

Hopefully he's not psychologically damaged after his time on Marshall. He needs to be playing on the more athletic talls rather than the big strong guys. Problem was it was Dixon or Marshall, both with big frames. Will be better suited to Curnow next week
Marshall was the right opponent for him, and Marshall is still relatively skinny, he just has good forward nous and the 5 years AFL experience. He'll be a lot stronger in 2-3 years time. He was playing as a key forward in the Murray league at 16. And he lost both parents in a short space of time just over 3 years ago. He's tracking pretty well considering.

On Gibcus as many suggest he's getting invaluable experience. He's a competitor. Wouldn't want to swap him for any other young key defender incl De Kon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Not sure about that. Curnow is now massively strong and powerful. Any contests involved with strengh or wrestling he will be broken in two

Yeah me too. Good player I reckon, would be perfect for us with JR's retirement imminent.