Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Rising Star noms are encouragement awards for struggling teams. It gives their fans a sniff of interest so they might show up or better still, watch them on telly. Makes perfect business sense.
Not our area of interest.
Fair correlation between players that get a rising star nomination and those that go on to have good careers. Our lack of nominations since 2019 says as much about the quality of our kids as it does about any perceived bias against us.

Reactions: 3 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Agree he needs a spell.

But how stuffed is the AFL Rising Star system.

Gibcus not nominated when he should have been, now might not get nominated at all.
Just for our records:

702FD1C5-4BFB-4551-BDCF-B9DF58AFA060.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Feb 25, 2007
Can’t believe how harsh some of you guys are with your criticism of young Josh.

Compared to Alex Rance at this stage of his career I think he has been going great guns. We currently don’t have the luxury of big strong experienced backmen. He’s doing it the hard way out of necessity. Another preseason or two will help him immensely. Until then whatever he and Tarrant can give us is a blessing.

Harsh? Do you think gibcus is immune from constructive criticism? He has had a bad 4-5 weeks, theirs is no sugar-coating it. I have been watching him carefully at games. I must say that early this year he was going great guns that should've earned him a rising star award.

We know we have a seriously talented player on our hands but geez he is 18 and should not be looked at as a lock in the side. I would like to see Ben Miller come in, he has improved his one-on-one contest work and offensively he is much better. Miller is getting 20+ disposals a game, we must see if he can translate that to the seniors.

Gibcus isn't giving us much one-on-ones and offensively not much at all. Too many turnovers and decision-making has gone off. Marks he would swallow he is punching instead. Simply a lack of confidence. Needs to go back to the 2's and improve his game, and dominate and his confidence will return which in turn he'll come back to the seniors a much better player.

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
Harsh? Do you think gibcus is immune from constructive criticism? He has had a bad 4-5 weeks, theirs is no sugar-coating it. I have been watching him carefully at games. I must say that early this year he was going great guns that should've earned him a rising star award.

We know we have a seriously talented player on our hands but geez he is 18 and should not be looked at as a lock in the side. I would like to see Ben Miller come in, he has improved his one-on-one contest work and offensively he is much better. Miller is getting 20+ disposals a game, we must see if he can translate that to the seniors.

Gibcus isn't giving us much one-on-ones and offensively not much at all. Too many turnovers and decision-making has gone off. Marks he would swallow he is punching instead. Simply a lack of confidence. Needs to go back to the 2's and improve his game, and dominate and his confidence will return which in turn he'll come back to the seniors a much better player.
Well I’m so glad you’re not on the coaching staff or selection committee.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007
Well I’m so glad you’re not on the coaching staff or selection committee.

Lol, lol lol What part of what I said was incorrect? I actually gave a balanced view of where Gibbo is currently at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne

I agree AT. Miller deserves another crack and Gibcus needs to go back to the 2s and dominate at that level for a block of games. Get him to mark at every opportunity, and when spoiling, kill the ball. ie. punch towards the boundary, or up the ground...not into the corridor. A few tweaks, and some confidence, and he'll be back in the ones better than ever.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Even Geelong have got 1 rising star nomination, wonder how old they were, 28?

DS
Had less than 10 games n under 21 at the start of this year, crept in under the cut off point by a smidgin. As far as the rising star criteria go Geelol's new king is a pensioner.
Injury free I reckon the Gibber will bypass 50 games by the time he turns 21.

Reactions: 1 user

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
63 nominees since 2019 and not one of ours. Bleeding obvious as to what's going on behind the scenes.

Not even Mozza could get a nomination in these last 2 years.
‘Shifter Sheehan’ is a *smile*

• Haha

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
Lol, lol lol What part of what I said was incorrect?

This bit in particular:-
“He has had a bad 4-5 weeks, theirs is no sugar-coating it”

Hardly constructive criticism! Five weeks ago we had the bye. Since then we have won 3 games and got ambushed/king-hit by Geelong in a game we still almost won. Gibcus has been busting his guts to help our patchwork defensive unit. I’m not surprised he is out this week due to illness.

319B943D-1AFE-43A9-8D69-95B4E3DC4FB4.png56EE2B92-D132-486B-BF07-6092190BE343.jpeg

Here’s just two stats that show it has not been too “bad” for an 18 year old kid.

Reactions: 2 users

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
rising star award?
brownlow?
all australian?

i really dont care about these umpire, ex player or journo awards

coaches award somewhat interesting

b and f is the only award worth worrying about

Feb 25, 2007
Lol, lol lol What part of what I said was incorrect?

This bit in particular:-
“He has had a bad 4-5 weeks, theirs is no sugar-coating it”

Hardly constructive criticism! Five weeks ago we had the bye. Since then we have won 3 games and got ambushed/king-hit by Geelong in a game we still almost won. Gibcus has been busting his guts to help our patchwork defensive unit. I’m not surprised he is out this week due to illness.

View attachment 15899View attachment 15900

Here’s just two stats that show it has not been too “bad” for an 18 year old kid.

That's great he has a motor and not bad for a player of his height for repeat sprints., but you're missing the point here. I'm talking about his output of late, too many unforced errors, decision-making costing goals, spoiling when should be marking etc

His one-on-one contest work isn't up to it at this early stage, no doubt a few preseasons in the gym he will stack it on.
Also, I mentioned offensively ain't giving us much with the ball in hand. Miller has been doing it in the ressies regularly but can he translate that to the seniors, time will tell.

Oh, my constructive criticism was that he started the season well and should've had a rising star award by now and we know we have a seriously talented player on our hands who needs to go back to the 2's and improve/refine his game and his confidence will return which he'll come back to the seniors a much better player. This is based on the last 4-5 weeks in which he hasn't played to that level as he did in the first half of the year. I am telling it like it is, it's an honest assessment based on his output.

You're carrying on like a first-year player should not be dropped on sub-par performances. I don't care who it is, if a player like Miller or Stack or Cumberland or Sonsie etc are playing well then they should be rewarded for their performances.

The last 5 weeks beaten by buddy, by marshall and darling out marked him plenty of times (i blame the match committee for playing him on these experienced players), he was on a hiding to nothing. His confidence looks shot and he seems now to be second-guessing himself. You then add in the turnovers, he went at 54%.

Against Carlton 7 disposals and 43 meters gained. Against Cats, 3 disposals and 39 meters gained and took 1 mark. How much more do I need to explain this.

I'm glad Miller has come in and hope he gets the same run as Gibcvus. Illness or managed as the previous time he was out, I reckon this time he comes back via the reserves.

Anyways, leaving it there!!!

Last edited: