Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

Re the question of Gibs and best 22 or starting 18?

My simple view from the outer is you select your team both for the now and for tomorrow and if you’re good enough you do it simultaneously. We need to get games into our younger emerging stars even if they are not strictly best 22 right now.

So right now I agree with Brodders comment below that Tarrant is perhaps the better player but I would still pick a fit Gibs over Tarrant so we get him to 50 games asap (maybe matchups dependent).

Perhaps academic right now depending on how long Gibs has off.

I am pretty confident, injury permitting, our starting back 7 will be Tarrant, Balta, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Rioli & Baker. The only queries I have are Balta- maybe they will try him forward again, and likewise Baker. I hope not for both, especially Baker.

As excited as I am in his potential, and his performance, I am not sure where Gibcus fits, even when fit. He is too good for the VFL, but probably doesnt crack our best backline. He could be the 3rd tall forward with the view to take over as no2 from Jack when he retires, but I reckon our 3rd forward needs to ruck, and I dont know that is the best thing for Gibcus at this stage of his career.

Reactions: 1 user
Re the question of Gibs and best 22 or starting 18?

My simple view from the outer is you select your team both for the now and for tomorrow and if you’re good enough you do it simultaneously. We need to get games into our younger emerging stars even if they are not strictly best 22 right now.

So right now I agree with Brodders comment below that Tarrant is perhaps the better player but I would still pick a fit Gibs over Tarrant so we get him to 50 games asap (maybe matchups dependent).

Perhaps academic right now depending on how long Gibs has off.
Gibcus would be monstered by the opponents that Tarrant would normally play against

Reactions: 3 users
Truck is going to be super important for his development and Balta ,Young etc.

Reactions: 6 users
Gibcus would be monstered by the opponents that Tarrant would normally play against
True - but Tarrant wont be monstering anyone in 2024/25
On the other hand Gibcus just might be - and have settled into a long term permanent spot

• Dislike
Second year back pocket player? No panic here.

Injury? That can happen.

When was Gibcus mooted to become Ross Glendinning? That was wrong. Gibcus is more like Mabior than like Grimes. Maybe even more like Miller.

The young players are getting younger. (Surprise!)

Sounds similar to Grimes’ injury last year - around 12 weeks perhaps? Might’ve avoided worst case but still not great.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the surgery doing in a hamstring injury? Stitching the hamstring back together? Or to the bone?

Sounds bloody painful!

I have only ever injured a hamstring once, and it was a very mild strain, but it bloody well hurt for a few days.

I recently did my first hammy of my life,

trying to get a strike with my last ball

To beat my 20 yo son at ten pin bowling!

I felt like i got shot in my arse cheek.

It was a gutter ball, my son fell over laughing, and I hobbled around for a good month.

The clear take home message is:

Unless you are kelly slater, dont try beat 20 yos at anything when youre on the wrong side of 50

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users