Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

For those in the know (and it is easier to follow on here), if his hamstring is a real serious one do we go through a potential Dylan Grimes issue of recurrence issues, or is youth on his side and if we get it right this year it's more than likely to be a one off (fingers crossed).

I've just got in from a break in Bali and haven't heard all the details but it sounds to me like Gibcus has injured the tendon. From memory Grimes had muscular issues and only recently did the tendon so they aren't really comparable.

The tendon injuries come in two categories, the most common is the impact one where you get some contact at extension and your hip motion ruptures the tendon that connects to the hamstring. The second one is when you damage the tendon just in the act of moving.

They are both concerning injuries with potential long term ramifications but the first instance is much less concerning because it doesn't indicate anything physiologically that would promote reoccurrence.

Basically if Gibcus was in a marking contest or kicking the ball and got a shove and it went, I'm concerned for him but also optimistic that he can rehab well and be well recovered post mid season. If he was just running along and it went I'm still optimistic he can rehab well but I'm certainly concerned for his longevity in the game.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I've just got in from a break in Bali and haven't heard all the details but it sounds to me like Gibcus has injured the tendon. From memory Grimes had muscular issues and only recently did the tendon so they aren't really comparable.

The tendon injuries come in two categories, the most common is the impact one where you get some contact at extension and your hip motion ruptures the tendon that connects to the hamstring. The second one is when you damage the tendon just in the act of moving.

They are both concerning injuries with potential long term ramifications but the first instance is much less concerning because it doesn't indicate anything physiologically that would promote reoccurrence.

Basically if Gibcus was in a marking contest or kicking the ball and got a shove and it went, I'm concerned for him but also optimistic that he can rehab well and be well recovered post mid season. If he was just running along and it went I'm still optimistic he can rehab well but I'm certainly concerned for his longevity in the game.
Thanks TBR.

Reactions: 1 user

@The Big Richo you may not of seen my training post but this is how the Gibcus injury occurred:

The injury occurred in front of me, Josh was running and bending down to pick up the ball, he fumbled and stumbled twice in quick succession or stumbled and fumbled and was already falling to the ground when he saw an approaching Soldo and then made another awkward movement to avoid making contact with him. I don't know if the injury caused the stumble or the stumble caused the injury, but I believe it was the 3rd ungainly movement when he was already falling horizontal to the ground that he grabbed the string in great pain and immediately raised his arm for assistance and did not get up or leave the ground under his own steam.

I was worried right away, I called bad high hamstring, (but i were fearing off the bone), thankfully they haven't called it that but not good all the same.

Last edited:
  • Sad
@The Big Richo you may not of seen my training post but this is how the Gibcus injury occurred:

The injury occurred in front of me, Josh was running and bending down to pick up the ball, he fumbled and stumbled twice in quick succession or stumbled and fumbled and was already falling to the ground when he saw an approaching Soldo and then made another awkward movement to avoid making contact with him. I don't know if the injury caused the stumble or the stumble caused the injury, but I believe it was the 3rd ungainly movement when he was already falling horizontal to the ground that he grabbed the string in great pain and immediately and raised his arm for assistance and did not get up or leave the ground under his own steam.

I was worried right away, I called bad high hamstring, (but i were fearing off the bone), thankfully they haven't called it that but not good all the same.

That sounds more promising, sounds like he created the mechanism himself without an opponent just with a bit of clumsiness.

Sounds a bit similar to the Adam Treloar one when he was at Collingwood, and stumbled round the boundary doing one tendon and one 'normal' strain.

I'd be feeling good about his long term based on that, if they get the surgery and rehab right he should bounce back with few issues.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
That sounds more promising, sounds like he created the mechanism himself without an opponent just with a bit of clumsiness.

Sounds a bit similar to the Adam Treloar one when he was at Collingwood, and stumbled round the boundary doing one tendon and one 'normal' strain.

I'd be feeling good about his long term based on that, if they get the surgery and rehab right he should bounce back with few issues.
It was such an unnatural movement for sure

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

I was going to say that also very similar to Treloars double hammy

We have to hope that Josh does fully recover as he is a rare talent and it would be a real pity not to see that fulfilled.
We have to have confidence in the doc's, the club and Josh himself in getting him up and running again

The most disappointing part is he was supposedly flying this preseason & had been complimented by watchers & footy staff alike as to how he was training. It's a step backwards for sure.

The most disappointing part is he was supposedly flying this preseason & had been complimented by watchers & footy staff alike as to how he was training. It's a step backwards for sure.
Resilience is a key attribute of great footballers. Lets see how the kid responds. I’m confident that he will bounce back better than ever. Expect him to play consistently in the second half of the season.

Still probably 3-4 weeks away but if Gibbo the answer to a key forward struggles? With Balta a lock at full back and Young looking promising could Gibbo just play forward the rest of the year?

I'll just be happy to see Josh playing good footy again at the lower levels. Then we can think about what role in the snrs he may have. He'll have missed a lot of match fitness. Going to take longer than just coming back from injury you'd think.

I'll just be happy to see Josh playing good footy again at the lower levels. Then we can think about what role in the snrs he may have. He'll have missed a lot of match fitness. Going to take longer than just coming back from injury you'd think.
You’d imagine so but even if he’s back by round 11-12 there is still a heap of footy left. If we could turn him into a key forward to partner with Lynch for the next 2 years with Ryan/Bauer as the third tall we’d go a fair way to solving our list issues up forward.

Still probably 3-4 weeks away but if Gibbo the answer to a key forward struggles? With Balta a lock at full back and Young looking promising could Gibbo just play forward the rest of the year?
I hope so, he didn't look out of place on the couple of occasions he was thrown forward.

Be interesting to see where he plays.

I'd expect him to be eased into the game down back, but I wouldn't mind him having a run in the forward line.