Welcome Judson Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Judson Clarke

Judson still looks 14 and this year played like a boy against men.
Unless he puts on serious weight and muscle over the next few years he is destined to go down the Jack Billings route - skilled but undersized for AFL.
have you seen shai? dont need to be muscly if you have speed and skill

Reactions: 2 users
Unless he puts on serious weight and muscle over the next few years he is destined to go down the Jack Billings route - skilled but undersized for AFL.
Geez, I’d take a Billings level career every day of the week for Clarke. Injuries have crueled him of late but Billings was a seriously good player in his prime.

Averaged 23 disposals and a goal in 2017, 25 disposals and 0.6 goals in 2019. We should be so lucky if Clarke got anywhere near that level.

Reactions: 1 users
have you seen shai? dont need to be muscly if you have speed and skill
Shai has damned good core strength.

For a player as slight as he is, he does anchor to the ground really well in tackles.

Remembering watching Ty Vickery and thinking about work rate, pilates is the type of exercise that a person can bludge in, adjusting the trans abdominal slightly to look like you're doing the exercise but taking the pressure off the core. I'd imagine Ty was bludging a bit when training core and as a result, would get moved by guys half his size.

I often wonder why clubs don't train on rings and horizontal bars more often. It almost makes the body bullet proof from injury, because all the support muscles are working over time as well as the larger muscle groups. Doing things like muscle ups, flares etc. It's not exactly fun training, but in a sport like AFL, the core is everything. It's like watching a 110kg boxer that doesn't have any punching power (think Joe Bugner). If a person can't anchor what they have to the ground, then it's harder to deliver power. There are trickes like turning the rear foot sideways which helps deliver power through a punch, but then youre giving up mobility.

I'm hoping Shai goes to another level this coming year.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Juddy won the Tony Mangan Award on camp.

Popular kid with obvious talents. I hope he has a great year & takes another step forward.

Endurance, strength & ability to win the footy should be his focus.

Reactions: 10 users

Jack Billings undersized?

The kid has pace with skill and class, will become a excellent player, not forgetting his ceiling is very high,especially with his original 69kg frame.

Reactions: 2 users
The kid has pace with skill and class, will become an excellent player, not forgetting his ceiling is very high,especially with his original 69kg frame.
I really like him. When you say he will be an excellent player. In what position?

I see him as a Kane Lambert type with more pace, but less endurance.

I really like him. When you say he will be an excellent player. In what position?

I hear the comparison a bit but Clarke will have to take a massive jump to get to that level.
I know Lambert only entered the AFL with us at age 23 after being overlooked in several drafts..
However even as far back as 2009, the year he was eligible for the National Draft Lambo showed an ability to win his own ball for the Northern Knights (TAC Cup) averaging 25 disposals, five clearances, five tackles and one goal per game.

Averaging only 8 disposals pg. Judson has some work to do to get to Kane's levels..

Reactions: 4 users
I hear the comparison a bit but Clarke will have to take a massive jump to get to that level.
I know Lambert only entered the AFL with us at age 23 after being overlooked in several drafts..
However even as far back as 2009, the year he was eligible for the National Draft Lambo showed an ability to win his own ball for the Northern Knights (TAC Cup) averaging 25 disposals, five clearances, five tackles and one goal per game.

Averaging only 8 disposals pg. Judson has some work to do to get to Kane's levels..
That may be correct but Juddy is ahead of where Lambert was at the same age just by getting drafted
what he becomes will be interesting and the Lambert role is probably the most suited.

The kid has just turned 20 years old
Pick #30 and barely 70kgs when drafted and already 16 serviceable games

Lets see when he gets to 50-60 games
I think he will be a very very good player

Reactions: 4 users
That may be correct but Juddy is ahead of where Lambert was at the same age just by getting drafted
what he becomes will be interesting and the Lambert role is probably the most suited.

The kid has just turned 20 years old
Pick #30 and barely 70kgs when drafted and already 16 serviceable games

Lets see when he gets to 50-60 games
I think he will be a very very good player
Here's hoping he gets to 50-60 games. Not all do.
Putting aside any Lambert comparisons, I'll be looking for a fair step up in improvement this year.

Reactions: 1 user

I think either wing or yes like a Lambert half forward, maybe even a part time mid forward like Edwards.

His draft profile said he was extremely dangerous around goals with great goal sense (same things I guess). But we haven’t really seen this. Maybe because he seems to play higher forward.

What is the award based on?
Tony Mangan was a very popular & generous Coterie member of the club who used to go on all these camps.

The Award..Slowy puts it best.

'the Tony Mangan Award is presented to a player on camp who exhibits certain behaviours very similar to the Club’s values. These values were also exhibited by Tony, a long standing supporter of the Club and regular pre-season camp attendee, who tragically passed.'

What is the award based on?
This was from an old training event:

Long time coterie member Cliff Gale gave a very moving and emotional speech about Tony Mangan, a person in whose name an award is given to the player who best represents a certain value set encapsulated by Tony, but also mirrors the value set defining us as a club.