Welcome Judson Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Judson Clarke

Here's hoping he gets to 50-60 games. Not all do.
Putting aside any Lambert comparisons, I'll be looking for a fair step up in improvement this year.
Thought he plateaued this year. Not all improvement is linear but he needs to show something next season or may get passed over for others and lose relevance.

Reactions: 1 user
have you seen shai? dont need to be muscly if you have speed and skill
Yer but Shai is a freak made of rubber and with the speed and reflexes of a cat. Unique. Only other player I can think of that reminds me of Shai is Gavin Wangeneen. Also indigenous. Maybe the great Cyril too.

Reactions: 3 users
Judson still looks 14 and this year played like a boy against men.
Unless he puts on serious weight and muscle over the next few years he is destined to go down the Jack Billings route - skilled but undersized for AFL.
Nah, I think it wasn't lack of size that derailed Billings career but chronic early inaccuracy. Remember many games where he knocked up getting the ball from high HF but would keep missing heaps of very gettable goals. Like would kick 1.5 or 2.7. He could certainly find it in dangerous positions, just had a terrible conversion rate despite being an excellent field kick and technically.

Must have driven club and Aints fans spare! [Just googled and came up with this below] Then copped injuries in ensuing seasons.

Some very very early calls about a kid who has just turned 20 years old and just 16 games

Some very very early calls about a kid who has just turned 20 years old and just 16 games
14 goals in those games, too, so he does know how to find them, especially given how dysfunctional our forward line has been over the past couple of years.

Reactions: 4 users
I was quite happy with the way Judson Clarke presented for 2023, given his build in 2022.

Considering the role he plays, i wouldn't want him to be carrying a stack of bulk. Just so long as he's developin gpower through the hips, i think build wise he's tracking okay. I know from talking to a few people who know him, that there were certain running patterns he was expected to stick to that may have affected how often he got his hands on the pill, so it might just be a question of how we use him that will dictate the sort of player we se next year.

Personally,m he's a guy that i like seeing with the ball in his hands, because he can run through the lines and does have a good kick on him. Thats' not to be a critic of the way Hardwick used him ,as who knows - at that stage of his career, it may have all been a part of his development.

A typical Juddy game starts with a flurry then peters out. Suggests a tank issue and maybe even that he paces himself for sprints as he sometimes rallies a bit late. News of an improved tank is encouraging.

I can rely on Juddy not breaking lines. He's pretty brisk so we might expect him to do this as a stock play. He doesn't. And almost certainly won't become that kind of player. Deledio wasn't FWIW.

Juddy tends to pounce on the ball and use quickly. He can learn to make a bit more room for himself over time. But he's deft and smart inside. If he's got two feet planted he's strong enough. But can be a leaf when in motion. He looks a natural inside player to me.

The bottom agers sometimes trend as if they're two years younger. (Do we groom them to stay young?) Shai's a bit like that. Juddy's a December birthday? October. He might be a later bloomer than we think.

It's possible that we've seen all there is to see. But I'm inclined to think there might be quite a bit more to come. Getting a kick is his next challenge. We will get hard information early in the coming season.

BTW if we want to teach him to break lines perhaps a year at half back? :shiteatinggrin

Reactions: 1 users
BTW if we want to teach him to break lines perhaps a year at half back? :shiteatinggrin
Poo eating grin?
I've heard of poo stirring, but that's a bit different. However, Dyer'ere has always been a different cat.

Poo eating grin?
I've heard of poo stirring, but that's a bit different. However, Dyer'ere has always been a different cat.
Hahah. It's a thing. IKR? (Swear filters won't allow me to post links to Wiktionary and Urban.)

I first came across the term in one of Ellroy's, T_G. I use it here to mean "self-conscious" trolling.

Last edited:
Brown,Banks,Clarke all have improved every year while sonsie, Gibcus were injury effected but showed plenty in their first afl years.
The Club won't be delisting any of these 5.

Reactions: 6 users
His draft profile said he was extremely dangerous around goals with great goal sense (same things I guess). But we haven’t really seen this. Maybe because he seems to play higher forward.

We have seen it. The one thing Juddy seemed to finish pretty much every game with was a goal. He scored some very good ones out of F50 stoppages at times during the year too, showing his anticipation around stoppages, he's just not big enough to do more than cameos in those roles just yet. His goal sense and reading of the play are 2 of his biggest traits and ones that will stand him in good stead to perform well even though he will likely always have a smaller body than many of the other AFL players.

We have seen it. The one thing Juddy seemed to finish pretty much every game with was a goal. He scored some very good ones out of F50 stoppages at times during the year too, showing his anticipation around stoppages, he's just not big enough to do more than cameos in those roles just yet. His goal sense and reading of the play are 2 of his biggest traits and ones that will stand him in good stead to perform well even though he will likely always have a smaller body than many of the other AFL players.
Sounds trite but Juddy actually has most things to succeed except he doesn't get the ball enough and that may come or it may not.
He has the skill set

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds trite but Juddy actually has most things to succeed except he doesn't get the ball enough and that may come or it may not.
He has the skill set

Very true. Has evasion, speed, goal sense, ball reading ability but needs to up his access to the footy. His 9 disposals average in 2023 is a bit misleading as he was sub or subbed a number of times, but normalising for 80% TOG and he's still only around 12 disposals. If he was a purely small forward those numbers are ok, but he pushes into the midfield / wing area and needs more of the footy than that. Needs to be getting upto around 15-25 disposals per game with average of around 20 if he's going to fulfil the potential but he's got plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 users
He has the skill set.

May have the skill set but does he lack arguably the most important trait of an elite athlete....competitive spirit? Simply a question, not a statement of fact.

Jury is out on all the cohort from 2021 for various reasons.

Whether they are superhunks or superflunks will determine the fortunes of the RFC (and Matty Clarke) moving forward.

May have the skill set but does he lack arguably the most important trait of an elite athlete....competitive spirit? Simply a question, not a statement of fact.

Jury is out on all the cohort from 2021 for various reasons.

Whether they are superhunks or superflunks will determine the fortunes of the RFC (and Matty Clarke) moving forward.
Gibcus will be fine but fair enough question on the other 4. I actually have no idea and it is very difficult to make that judgement
They all have really good skills and can kick and that's a great start

Gibcus will be fine but fair enough question on the other 4. I actually have no idea and it is very difficult to make that judgement
They all have really good skills and can kick and that's a great start
Sin, the only issue with young Gibcus are his strings. Hence the ?