Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
You don’t get better by losing your best players. As we know only too well, low draft picks don’t guarantee we’ll find better or even equivalent replacements.

We need players like Baker to stay and rebuild lists around them.

Reactions: 9 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
You don’t get better by losing your best players. As we know only too well, low draft picks don’t guarantee we’ll find better or even equivalent replacements.

That's fine.
People are just saying if he leaves.
No-one has said for him to Foff.
It's the rumours, The New 2.5mill house, The 6yr offer, 2 black Swans.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I'd certainly get rid of a few other fmr Premiership players before Bakes.
Who?
Would Balta get us 2 decent picks?
Rioli is a star. He stays
Bolton. We get rid of Bolton shut the joint down for another 35 yrs.
Dusty, the ball is in his court.
Graham & Short Yes they would get us picks that we clean up with pick 30 & pick 26
Big V No Chance.
Grimes Retire
Prestia Retire
Broad up to him
Flappers & Pickett delisted Cut
Nakas not worth getting rid of because there's no decent option out there.
Lynch stays

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Who?
Would Balta get us 2 decent picks?
Rioli is a star. He stays
Bolton. We get rid of Bolton shut the joint down for another 35 yrs.
Dusty, the ball is in his court.
Graham & Short Yes they would get us picks that we clean up with pick 30 & pick 26
Big V No Chance.
Grimes Retire
Prestia Retire
Broad up to him
Flappers & Pickett delisted Cut
Nakas not worth getting rid of because there's no decent option out there.
Lynch stays
I didn't say we'd get more value for others. Clearly he is more valuable than many if not most.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

Baker is a gem, as he again demonstrated on Sunday. Reckon he is in line to be our next Captain.

While I would love to see him stay and totally agree with your sentiment, the pull of his family, friends and home state may tip things away.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Have heard, he's gone but also that he's staying so who knows maybe only bakes really knows.
Ideally if he goes home,Fremantle and West Coast fight for him,trouble is if it's west coast they have pick 1 and 19,
While Fremantle have theirs plus Collingwood which will be picks 7 to 13 somewhere.
The danger is the pre season draft but I doubt bakes would do that to his dual premiership club.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Has to be a top 10 pick minimum. He's a gun. These are the draftees from 5 drafts ago from pick 11 to 30. How many of these are or will be greater than Baker? Low percentage chance of return. Dockers may be the team who pay proper value as they are in the window. WC would seem more unlikely and would you want to spend the rest of your career at that basket case?

Luke Pedlar,Tanner Bruhn,Tom Powell,Heath Chapman,Conor Stone,Lachlan Jones A,Oliver Henry,Ryan Angwin,Finlay Macrae,Max Holmes,Jake Bowey,Bailey Laurie,Reef McInnes A,Blake Coleman A,Brayden Cook,Matthew Allison

Last edited:

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

I don't think anyone is wanting to trade Bakes out, but the jungle drums are beating about him going back home.

If that is the case, then we need to extract maximum value for him. Hopefully Clarke is as generous and easy to work with now he's at WC as he was with us.

Like TL said above, HAS to be a top 10 pick.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
And maybe he bought the house for his parents?
He doesn't have to live in it.

That said, I will be totally devo if he leaves.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
And maybe he bought the house for his parents?
he's said many times he looks forward to going back to the farm to work with his dad. I assume buying his parents a multi million dollar property in Perth over 300kms away from their farm doesn't seem like a practical choice

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Come on people make up your minds
Last week we were driving him to Tullamarine for a rookie pick
This week he is worth 2 picks under 10.
If he dosent sign @ the half way mark of the year.
The club needs to drive has hard as it can and try get 2 picks off Freo.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Everyone can relax, if Freo makes the finals it's their first and second next year, the same price as they got from Collingwood for Lachie *smile*.

That's the base line of the Freo deal.

If the Eagles want him and they have pick 1-6, it's that pick for Baker and some rearranging of picks or we slide it into one of the pick uprgades we do.

If he wants to go home the deal will get done.

Reactions: 5 users

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Has to be a top 10 pick minimum. He's a gun. These are the draftees from 5 drafts ago from pick 11 to 30. How many of these are or will be greater than Baker? Low percentage chance of return. Dockers may be the team who pay proper value as they are in the window. WC would seem more unlikely and would you want to spend the rest of your career at that basket case?

Luke Pedlar,Tanner Bruhn,Tom Powell,Heath Chapman,Conor Stone,Lachlan Jones A,Oliver Henry,Ryan Angwin,Finlay Macrae,Max Holmes,Jake Bowey,Bailey Laurie,Reef McInnes A,Blake Coleman A,Brayden Cook,Matthew Allison
i guess thats the risk, you have to weight up where we're at right now, and determine whether Bakes will be there at our next tilt. If you think he aint, then you have to cash in now via draft picks, and pray they pick up a future star midfielder, that will help us get to our next tilt at a flag. Its a calculated risk and the list manager needs to make the right call, or we're screwed

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Baker is a gem, as he again demonstrated on Sunday. Reckon he is in line to be our next Captain.

While I would love to see him stay and totally agree with your sentiment, the pull of his family, friends and home state may tip things away.
And that’s his call & while we should put a very good long term deal to him (maybe we have already), we can’t over pay. We wait & see.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
i guess thats the risk, you have to weight up where we're at right now, and determine whether Bakes will be there at our next tilt. If you think he aint, then you have to cash in now via draft picks, and pray they pick up a future star midfielder, that will help us get to our next tilt at a flag. Its a calculated risk and the list manager needs to make the right call, or we're screwed
We're losing alot of experienced premiership players. Baker is only 26yo and vice-captain. You also need to maintain an experience balance to nurture and we have a lot of draft picks and youngsters coming in to replace the oldies. I feel it will be Baker's decision and if he does go it has to be for a top 10, anything lower and the risk/reward is too low. I am confident we would get a top 10.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Have heard, he's gone but also that he's staying so who knows maybe only bakes really knows.
Ideally if he goes home,Fremantle and West Coast fight for him,trouble is if it's west coast they have pick 1 and 19,
While Fremantle have theirs plus Collingwood which will be picks 7 to 13 somewhere.
The danger is the pre season draft but I doubt bakes would do that to his dual premiership club.
Or a young Melbourne born player of proven ability, also feeling the pull of family and friends.
Fremantle looks the preferable destination for a player wishing to continue with an already successful career.
Midfielders Serong or Young might be interested.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Or a young Melbourne born player of proven ability, also feeling the pull of family and friends.
Fremantle looks the preferable destination for a player wishing to continue with an already successful career.
Midfielders Serong or Young might be interested.
Zips chance that Freo release Serong