Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
When are we going to realise that a defenders first priority must be to stop his opponent. The second priority is to get the ball and use it effectively. Reckon too many of our players (Short included) have their priorities back to front. Mind you they are not helped by an unaccountable midfield who let their players run forward with limited pressure.

Spot on.
Short isn't a defender.
He has never been a good defender.
Bring back Caffey & Torney

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I think there have been a number of improvements in Shorty's football since that mirage of 2018. I call the 2018 form a mirage because Shorty's numbers looked good but he was getting a shitload of cover. Too much IMO but it was a nurturing year. And his kicking looked good because, with a shitload of cover he was able to sag off (our real defenders working five on six - Alex Rance often drawing two) and with what proved to be unsustainable space and time Shorty would get an entirely unpressured disposal to a target in space. It was regular. It was tactical. It ended badly. 2018.

In early 2019 I noted that Shorty was clearly being asked to play football. No more of this rolling and sagging *smile*. He had an opponent. Without Rance to take two he had go make his own space. He had to use under pressure. Get it in traffic and create space. He was hopeless at most of this particularly disposal. To breathe on him was to force a limp turnover. But he got a little bit better most weeks. And that is very good. I wish I could get a bit better one week.* And he became a premiership player.

The space we create for him in 2020 is very finite. It can come from a ball winner like Baker acquiring when out of position and brilliantly sending Shorty 1m clear. And these days 1m clear can be enough for Shorty to hit a target. His ball use is much improved.

And furthermore a few times this year Jayden Short has broken a line. Acquired the defensive side of a line of opponents and run through that line. This *smile* is gold. It generates the outnumber. Short can now do some Bachar stuff. He had no idea how to do that in 2018 when his numbers looked good. Mirage numbers.

Was it against Hawthorn that Jayden Short flew at a ball carrying opponent, missed the tackle and fell with great force to the ground? He jumped over a bloke. Does Jayden Short usually throw himself at opponents? He can't tackle but he's lifting his attempts. His engagement in the actual game. His tackle numbers, already poor, are down. But his indicators are up.

Jayden Short is an improver.

* That's just a throwaway - I don't really give a *smile*.

Reactions: 8 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
0 tackles for two weeks now.

Not bad considering we have been slapped by small fowards in the last 2 weeks. Bresut/Wingard & Bulter/lonie.
Maybe he has an allergy that stops him from tackling.
That elbow injury he suffered against GWS would stop me from tackling.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The bullet to Lynch was his best kick in two years. And when he put his body on the line to cut off a kick inside 50, got hit and won a free I was rapt for the lad. Now he knows he can do that and get up, it has to be the standard.

Reactions: 10 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Interestingly, only George had fewer AFL rankings points today than Shorty. But then Jack had more than Lynch, and Rioli had more than Cotch, Prestia, Vlastuin and Houli. Who decides these points?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Interestingly, only George had fewer AFL rankings points today than Shorty. But then Jack had more than Lynch, and Rioli had more than Cotch, Prestia, Vlastuin and Houli. Who decides these points?

It's a collaboration between AFL media experts - Barrett and Robbo.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Bullshiit numbers.
I've tried to work out how you gain points but anyway you look at its just typical AFL super coach bullshiit.
3 points for a mark?
2 for a tackle?
6 for a goal?
-2 for a clanger?
3 for a kick?
3 for a hand ball?
Who knows????

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

machine learning AI

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Was a solid game. Less of the outside dash with a better balance on defending. Did well

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Yesterday, he was tough in the contest, backing into marks, and good in the air.

These are his areas of deficiency.

Improving.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He made more efforts to avoid contact, then to go for the ball.
We can't continue to play him and baker down back.
Either short goes to the wing or he goes out.
That effort to stop Papley was weak

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
How many goals did we concede today?
3?

I reckon our backline went alright.

Short number 1 for disposals, and metres gained (542), at 85% kicking efficiency?

I reckon he went alright (BOG) too.