Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Lost us the game. That moment. Lead? WTF is he capable of leading? Outside players aren’t who you look to for leadership

Has never and will never be a leader

I'd be looking at Nankervis, who is actually the captain for some unknown reason and who has been crap for a while, rather than someone who has generally been very good this year if we're discussing leadership. Everyone gets half a woody when he looks vaguely menacing, but he's flattered to deceive thus far.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Short played a good game and gave 120 minutes of quality effort.

I'll accept that sometimes good players make the odd mistake and that's okay.

He's had a ripping year and hopefully he'll lead us well into September.
He is an experienced player and should nit be giving away stupid 50’s at such crucial times. As for giving quality effort for 120mins that’s rubbish. Was non existent in the last quarter.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He is an experienced player and should nit be giving away stupid 50’s at such crucial times. As for giving quality effort for 120mins that’s rubbish. Was non existent in the last quarter.
Big moments and big games aren’t his thing

Reactions: 3 users

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Another one on our list he thinks he is a bit better that what he really is. Too many long kicks to nothing, dumb undisciplined 50s. Needs to get back to basics.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

I've seen Dusty give away 50's in finals. It's okay to make mistakes.

Short is usually a disciplined player, so this is just an outlier, and that happens.

Perfectly understandable and not worth thinking about for more than a second IMO.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Short is usually a disciplined player, so this is just an outlier, and that happens.

Perfectly understandable and not worth thinking about for more than a second IMO.
*smile* 2nd dumb 50 that cost a game

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

It’s not just Short, it’s a lot of our players that play this way. It is an issue, it is costing us and it needs to be addressed.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
He's playing a bit like he thinks his *smile* doesn't stink. Skill errors and bad decisions with the ball are one thing but that was inexcusable from a player of his experience. Completely unacceptable and it was one of a number of incidents that, if they didn't happen, we would have one.

Really, really poor Short. Deserves to have Dimma rip shreds off him.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I thought Dimma said it had been???? …….
He acknowledged it was a problem, said that it was being worked on, at no time did I think it was fixed, and it’s pretty clear that it hasn’t been. It’s definitely a work in progress, but it’s not finished, and nor do I think it’s been taken seriously enough.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It’s not just Short, it’s a lot of our players that play this way. It is an issue, it is costing us and it needs to be addressed.

In general, yes.

But this was a reactionary mistake, like pressing a buzzer too early on a game show.

It was a rare event for Short, and falls under the category of "reactionary mistake", so this 50m penalty was not illustrative of a broader issue of discipline-based 50m penalties we've seen from the team in the past.

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
Way way way worse than geoege...at least george gives 110% ...short,s brain fart moments are a player playing arrogant stupid 25% footy

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
He acknowledged it was a problem, said that it was being worked on, at no time did I think it was fixed, and it’s pretty clear that it hasn’t been. It’s definitely a work in progress, but it’s not finished, and nor do I think it’s been taken seriously enough.
I wasn’t saying u did think it was fixed! I’ve heard Dimma mention it several times over the last few seasons… how long does it take to address? Can’t train to not elbow someone in the face, give away stupid 50s etc… players need to take ownership and pull their heads in.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
In general, yes.

But this was a reactionary mistake, like pressing a buzzer too early on a game show.

It was a rare event for Short, and falls under the category of "reactionary mistake", so this 50m penalty was not illustrative of a broader issue of discipline-based 50m penalties we've seen from the team in the past.
Reaction to what? Everyone knows you can't touch the ball when the player has it in his hand from a free or mark. That is just excuse making for an inexcusable undisciplined act that cost the game.

Reactions: 4 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I wasn’t saying u did think it was fixed! I’ve heard Dimma mention it several times over the last few seasons… how long does it take to address? Can’t train to not elbow someone in the face, give away stupid 50s etc… players need to take ownership and pull their heads in.
Clearly, the message isn’t getting through. Hardwick keeps saying they’re aware of it and addressing it, yet the players keep doing these things.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
not sure what Short was thinking, but it's just one of a few moments in that last Q some players would like again

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Reaction to what? Everyone knows you can't touch the ball when the player has it in his hand from a free or mark. That is just excuse making for an inexcusable undisciplined act that cost the game.

Short was anticipating a handball and had his finger on the trigger ready to go during a tense situation.

He misfired.

It was a rare mistake that he doesn't usually make, and it's in the reactionary category.

The undisciplined category you're focused on was on display when Rioli mouthed off the umpire.

Rioli's 50m was in cold blood and was controllable.

Short's 50m was like a jump scare in a horror movie.

Totally different category and warrants a different response.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Short was anticipating a handball and had his finger on the trigger ready to go during a tense situation.

He misfired.

It was a rare mistake that he doesn't usually make, and it's in the reactionary category.

The undisciplined category you're focused on was on display when Rioli mouthed off the umpire.

Rioli's 50m was in cold blood and was controllable.

Short's 50m was like a jump scare in a horror movie.

Totally different category and warrants a different response.
Yep.

Short's error was significant, but it wasn't a discipline error.

It was a sprinter jumping the gun.

Mouthing off like Rioli, or driving in the back like Grimes were discipline errors.