Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Pappy said:
I haven't really seen him play, but conversely Kane Lambert rips it up in the VFL after 10 weeks out, comes into the seniors and has 1 possession against the Swans.
I think we have to temper our expectations on Short. I'd be surprised if his name was even brought up for the rest of the year in team selection.
He might get a shot next year I'd say.

Lambert had 5 kicks and 4 hb before being subbed off. Nothing to right home about but in his 2nd game against a high quality side was ok. More than 1 possession as you suggest.

puregreen

Tiger Champion
Dec 6, 2009
Start of the season we were all hoping that Lambert got elevated from the rookie list on the back of pre-season training and practice games and were half thinking that Thomas might beat him to it.

Was surprised that he didn't get picked for rd 1 after the elevation, but then unlucky to do a shoulder in rd 2.

I think the coaching staff are happy with what Kane has to bring to the side. Ideally he probably should have had 2-3 games in the VFL to really get back into the swing of it, but for an overlooked 23 year old getting a chance I think he'll be busting a gut to bring everything he's got to the side. If he can emulate Miles' impact in any way then that has to be worth a shot - I've got him ahead of Gordon.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Apparently out for the rest of the season with an ankle injury. Hope they elevate him to the senior list at the end of the season.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
This will be a chance for Jayden to do a lot of strength work to build up his body for the riggers of AFL.

As for being promoted to the main list. As long as he is retained is all that matters for me.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
thats a shame if true.

Ellis, Drummond, Castagna, Butler and Short all injured :(

Is it just bad luck or are we pushing the kids too much in their first year???

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
blx said:
thats a shame if true.

i think it is pretty common across the league.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
WesternTiger said:
Apparently out for the rest of the season with an ankle injury. Hope they elevate him to the senior list at the end of the season.
That's a shame, but I'd also like to see him retained either on the senior list or rerookied and get a shot next year.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
blx said:
thats a shame if true.

Not sure doing an ankle (Castagna and Short) or knee (Drummond) is anything but bad luck!

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
WesternTiger said:

Has he done enough for elevation? 6 goals in 10 vfl games.

Chimptastic

Tiger Superstar
Aug 22, 2014
WesternTiger said:
Not sure doing an ankle (Castagna and Short) or knee (Drummond) is anything but bad luck!

Impact injuries aside (and I don't know the specifics of the above injuries), but in general our muscles, joints, and ligaments are one big system that feed off each other. Any weakness in one system can be transferred to injuries in other parts of the system. Eg weak glutes can be a factor in hip pain, and a treatment of hip pain is to strengthen your glutes.

Since we do want to push 18yos to their limit, a few injuries are bound to happen unless we don't push them. Running technique is also a factor, with Corey Ellis a prime example... the way he lopes around is inefficient for absorbing the force of each step, therefore his ankles, knees, and hips take more of a pounding compared to a Brandon Ellis, who has a much high cadence and better foot strike. He'll improve his technique over time and strengthen the surrounding muscles so less force goes through his joints. In short, we can control for ankle/knee injuries to some degree, it's not purely about luck. But it's a balancing act between risk of injury vs rate of improvement.

Rookies tend to lean towards rate of improvement over caution towards overtraining. Understandably so. Cotchin was the same.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Barnzy said:
Has he done enough for elevation? 6 goals in 10 vfl games.
I like the kid, but absolutely no need to elevate him at this stage. We can keep him on the rookie list at lower cost, and when he's ready, promote him.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
spook said:
I like the kid, but absolutely no need to elevate him at this stage. We can keep him on the rookie list at lower cost, and when he's ready, promote him.

This is right. He wont be ready for senior footy first up next year so may as well make the call on him end of next year.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:

I really like him. Really, really like. But I couldn't agree more with Spook. No need to rush.

Czerkaski

Tiger Cub
Mar 16, 2014
As I understand it a short farce is a farc, from the latin farcicus limitus. Pronounced similar to arc, Marc, etc.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Czerkaski said:
As I understand it a short farce is a farc, from the latin farcicus limitus. Pronounced similar to arc, Marc, etc.

Please, there are children around.

nafe brown

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 22, 2014
Looks to have recovered well from his ankle surgery I personally have high hopes for Jayden from the photos I have seen during the offseason we has added some size and looks in traffic condition, watched him last year in the VFL and he impressed with ability to hit targets under pressure also he has great goal sense and is deceptively quick, will be vying for a spot alongside Lambert ,Butler, Rioli ,Lloyd,

I don’t expect him to play many / if any senior games this year but if he can have a good NAB CUP and a constant season with our VFL team playing that midfield/forward role it will be a good launching pad for him to play in the seniors in 2017 I know he has a long way to go but I think he will be our next Axel…..