Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
As you know they don’t like passing on information discussed on the night but saying that, there wasn’t really anything confidential in nature.
Fawcett and Colina both have stress fractures in their lower backs and both should be ready to resume training in a month. Putting it down to training loads that they probably weren’t ready fire. Colina’s was a repeat of the same injury from last year where he weighed in at 116kg and wasn’t ready for the running demands of AFL. He’s now 104kg and really looking forward to getting back to playing.
McCauliff spoke well and I asked him about the draft. Clarke admitted to him that he was their target but understood that other clubs weren’t going to pick him in that range so we played a cool hand there.
Smith was a state cricketer who played football for fun with his mates. Decided to get serious from U/17s as he saw more of a future in AFL.

Many thanks DA, these little bits of info help us get to know these blokes just a bit more. Very much appreciated :)

Reactions: 11 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
looked a bit underdone (understandable) but looks a likely type
Doesnt have the training base or conditioning as a result of the navicular fracture, which are often career enders.

Tigsers taking the cautious approach with Kaleb which is u understandable and a good approach.

Rushing him and him ending up with stress fractures and then another recurrence of his navicular would be a disaster for the kid and possibly for the club as he shows alot of promise.

Reactions: 6 users

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Doesnt have the training base or conditioning as a result of the navicular fracture, which are often career enders.

Tigsers taking the cautious approach with Kaleb which is u understandable and a good approach.

Rushing him and him ending up with stress fractures and then another recurrence of his navicular would be a disaster for the kid and possibly for the club as he shows alot of promise.
Correct.
He also said that last year was more precautionary than debilitating as the injury you discuss is very tricky by nature so the club was ultra cautious.
At the moment he might do 5 out of 9 training drills but is definitely doing contested work. More about load from what I made out.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Correct.
He also said that last year was more precautionary than debilitating as the injury you discuss is very tricky by nature so the club was ultra cautious.
At the moment he might do 5 out of 9 training drills but is definitely doing contested work. More about load from what I made out.
Hence why I have reported Kaleb is only doing one main training session a week, whilst present at others does minimal

Reactions: 1 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Hence why I have reported Kaleb is only doing one main training session a week, whilst present at others does minimal

Better than last year. Happy for him to slowly build but 19 touches in the VFL off the back of this must be good news

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I am not saying he is playing AFL any time soon. It’s definitely not because of ability. It’s purely conditioning.
Hmm. We will see. If he is a mile off but one of our most promising, that’s grim.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Hmm. We will see. If he is a mile off but one of our most promising, that’s grim.

Miles off it but most promising can both be a thing.

Is it because he hasn't played much and was a low pick?

ILO he has serious scope and a high ceiling to get to. Unlike many of our 21' picks - Who you liked.

Look at Seth. Would you have labelled him the same as Kaleb a month ago?

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Miles off it but most promising can both be a thing.

Is it because he hasn't played much and was a low pick?

ILO he has serious scope and a high ceiling to get to. Unlike many of our 21' picks - Who you liked.

Look at Seth. Would you have labelled him the same as Kaleb a month ago?
Cool thesis. If you want to give him a higher ceiling that many of our 21 picks go for it. Hoping a kid who has barely set foot on the park has a higher ceiling than a bunch of top 30 picks is folly and also paints the top 30 picks as long shots. Double yikes.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
This farce has gone on long enough. It's farcical that this bloke has played six VFL quarters (29 disposals, 8 marks, 4 clearances even though he's playing at half-back) and no one has called out this farce for the farce it is.

Farce.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
He looks like he could replace Bakes should Bakes decide to move on.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We've found one.

Smithy has good composure, and uses it very well. Only his 2nd game for competition points since 2022, is only going to get better.

Reactions: 3 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Not quite full farce at the moment, but definitely farcy. Like outer crust farcy.

I think they are being cautious as the lad is coming back from a navicular, and they want to manage his workload.

But yeah, he's cooking nicely.

Reactions: 1 users