Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I reckon anyone who sees any level of AFL football would be surprised by how amateurish most things are. Actually you could say that for most professional sports.
The issues that plague your local footy club are exactly the same ones the AFL clubs have, only on a bigger scale.

Reactions: 2 users

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
I reckon anyone who sees any level of AFL football would be surprised by how amateurish most things are. Actually you could say that for most professional sports.
TBR; I'm interested in what are you referring to with this comment?

Is it processes, management, execution of directives, human resources? A bit of everything?

At executive, support staff and coaching staff levels...

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

I'm really referring to the actual sporting side of it, there's a lot of similarities to the stuff you would see if you walked into your local footy club.

Other parts are much more complicated but for example if you were in the rooms before the game or in the huddle at the breaks you would be hard pressed to find much difference, just more staff.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I'm really referring to the actual sporting side of it, there's a lot of similarities to the stuff you would see if you walked into your local footy club.

Other parts are much more complicated but for example if you were in the rooms before the game or in the huddle at the breaks you would be hard pressed to find much difference, just more staff.

What they have a smoke in the huddle at breaks like us numpties?????

• Haha

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

I remember I reckon it was the Hirdy and Sheedy retirement game and they showed Sheedy's speech at one of the quarter breaks, and I thought it'd be like David Parkin who I'd heard a couple of times and would run into a brick wall for, but I thought Sheedy's talk was weak as man, actually found it pretty boring. I think he was the same in his last coaching game for the Giants. He must have been good during the week I guess :eyes

And the Dallas Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy is probably the winner of the Best Motivational speech all time :eyes

A couple of years back the week after a loss he dubbed the next week 'Red-Ass Week' to motivate the players and reinforced that message by having the Cowboys staff hand out 'Monkey Butt chafing powder' around the locker room o_O

That's Motivation 101 man!! :mhihi

1677748800326.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Taranto has been exemplary in his first preseason at his new club. Hopper less so but still been ok.

Looked to be conserving energy on the weekend in the heat but contributed. I'm ok with that. No point busting heads in a practice game.

Will be hoping he ramps it up the intensity come round 1 however. Need to curb Cripps' influence.

Reactions: 1 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Taranto has been exemplary in his first preseason at his new club. Hopper less so but still been ok.

Looked to be conserving energy on the weekend in the heat but contributed. I'm ok with that. No point busting heads in a practice game.

Will be hoping he ramps it up the intensity come round 1 however. Need to curb Cripps' influence.
Equal high 9 clearances in 80% game time for Hopper. Not bad for conservative mode but needs to put us more into advantage with his next disposal.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Equal high 9 clearances in 80% game time for Hopper. Not bad for conservative mode but needs to put us more into advantage with his next disposal.
9 clearances is pretty damn good.
A lot of the work he does is in tight and a bit unspectacular but as long as we get it out to advantage he’s doing his job.

Reactions: 5 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003

We all forget Hopper was injured almost all last year and only player a few games at the end of the season. He will be better for the run but probably a few matches away before we can make a judgement.

Reactions: 5 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Is it processes, management, execution of directives, human resources? A bit of everything?

At executive, support staff and coaching staff levels...
I think he means how rule changes are implemented on a whim to suit the vested interests of whichever Boys Club member is in charge of that aspect of the game that month.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
That's good & his job primarily. As you say though his meters gained was very low.
I watched him closely. The 'conservative' statement was based more on his movement from contest to contest.

Around clearance I felt he was often in the right spot but sensed his frustration that their rucks were pretty much dominating ours.
Practice matches are there to build match fitness & he'll be better for the run no doubt. Should build into the season.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I’d agree when it comes to recruiting
I’ve seen some of the backend work that goes into recruiting and list management. It’s not amateurish, far from it. The database is very comprehensive and technical.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
I'm real happy getting Tim into our side, he will be a stand out. I'm over the moon getting Jacob, this guy will provide physical pressure, he gets the ball himself and allows his teammates room to move. (presence and ball handling). Can't wait for round 1. Go the Mighty Tigers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I’ve seen some of the backend work that goes into recruiting and list management. It’s not amateurish, far from it. The database is very comprehensive and technical.
Correct.
Blair Hartley brought his data base over from Port and has been developing it for years.
He was a pioneer in the space

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Probably the player I'm looking forward to seeing live most tomorrow night.
Recruited to shore up our clearances & contested work against the benchmark of the competition in Patty Cripps.
Jacob doesn't have to star & it won't all be down to him obviously but I'll be sure hoping he has an impact in the area he was recruited for.

Reactions: 8 users