Welcome Tylar Young | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tylar Young

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Essendon will.be credited with finding Ambrosia,but inreality tigers discovered him.
Yep. Dodo simply hovered around pretending to be unobtrusive n then stole him after we'd given him a decent development opportunity in our VFL team.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Turn it up! Every player drafted beyond say 10-15, in just about every draft, is largely a stab in the dark.
I reckon it is the bringing of these players into a club environment and following a players development with our coaching staff and leading players, which gives some level of insight.
In the case of a vfl recruit, giving some priority to a club which has invested that time and effort is both efficient and fair.

I'd say every draft pick is a stab in the dark but the recruiters will tell you they track hundreds of players for years before each draft and it would be rare to add a player to your VFL program without having some intelligence on them.

You could possibly have a system where clubs can declare their mid season pick pre draft to take their VFL players but I don't think you can have a system where VFL players are untouchable at any draft pick. If a club changed course after reacting to draft picks then a player could be left on the shelf when another club wanted them. That would be cruel.

Even in the case of pre draft bidding there is a question of how that impacts the equalisation of the competition. If Geelong find a star in their VFL team and want to take them with pick 18 there's a case that North should be able to take them with pick 1 for the sake of the competition.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I'd say every draft pick is a stab in the dark but the recruiters will tell you they track hundreds of players for years before each draft and it would be rare to add a player to your VFL program without having some intelligence on them.

You could possibly have a system where clubs can declare their mid season pick pre draft to take their VFL players but I don't think you can have a system where VFL players are untouchable at any draft pick. If a club changed course after reacting to draft picks then a player could be left on the shelf when another club wanted them. That would be cruel.

Even in the case of pre draft bidding there is a question of how that impacts the equalisation of the competition. If Geelong find a star in their VFL team and want to take them with pick 18 there's a case that North should be able to take them with pick 1 for the sake of the competition.

Very few of our weaker teams will go to the draft with less than three to four live picks so plenty of time to react to a failure to pick up a vfl player after the first two rounds, (which is where I think the priority advantage given to a team like ours in a Tyler Young selection quandary, should be drawn).

In earlier times many AFL teams were not represented in the vfl.
That system tried to encourage opportunity for all vfl unaligned clubs and older more experienced players were kept on despite their lack of a future at a higher level. Different now. Our vfl team is truely much closer to a second 18, (as it was pre AFL).
IMO there is every reason to build on that approach by giving priority in selection as discussed.
An efficient use of increasingly expensive resources equally applicable to all, with no real downside.
But clearly we disagree. No big deal.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
You could possibly have a system where clubs can declare their mid season pick pre draft to take their VFL players but I don't think you can have a system where VFL players are untouchable at any draft pick.
Not sure anyone is suggesting they should be untouchable. Some sort of ability to match the pick is all I am suggesting and I would also add in that the player needs to have played a certain number of vfl games or been on the vfl list for a certain period of time as well . I am sure the AFL could come up with something

Reactions: 4 users

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Not sure anyone is suggesting they should be untouchable. Some sort of ability to match the pick is all I am suggesting and I would also add in that the player needs to have played a certain number of vfl games or been on the vfl list for a certain period of time as well . I am sure the AFL could come up with something
I would think of something like at Pick 50 and above the team could match a pick for the VFL player. In this instance the guy is not necessarily an out and out star but someone the team has developed in their VFL team.

If they are good enough to be selected before that then everyone should have access to them

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Very few of our weaker teams will go to the draft with less than three to four live picks so plenty of time to react to a failure to pick up a vfl player after the first two rounds, (which is where I think the priority advantage given to a team like ours in a Tyler Young selection quandary, should be drawn).

Sorry my mistake, I thought we were talking mid-season draft.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I dont mind the idea, but how would it work for clubs that dont have a VFL team? Would they get priority to any players at their "aligned" club? Do the WA teams have reserves in the WAFL now?

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I keep an eye on RFC VFL to AFL, not certain if I have missed anyone

Tyrone DownieGCS
Kayle KirbyCollingwood
Josh DunkleyWestern Bulldogs
Dan HoweHawthorn
Clayton OliverMelbourne
Sam DurhamEssendon
Jake AartsRFC
Anthony ScottWestern Bulldogs
Karl WornerFreo
Garrett McDonoughEssendon
Jake SoligoAdelaide
Massimo D’ambrosioEssendon
Tylar YoungRichmond

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I dont mind the idea, but how would it work for clubs that dont have a VFL team? Would they get priority to any players at their "aligned" club? Do the WA teams have reserves in the WAFL now?
I think the only teams without their own “2nds” are st kilda and hawthorn, who are aligned with Sandringham and Box Hill, and Fremantle. Freo may be aligned with someone in the WAFL, not really sure

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Tyrone DownieGCS
Kayle KirbyCollingwood
Dan HoweHawthorn
Clayton OliverMelbourne
Sam DurhamEssendon
Jake AartsRFC
Anthony ScottWestern Bulldogs
Karl WornerFreo
Garrett McDonoughEssendon
Jake SoligoAdelaide
Massimo D’ambrosioEssendon
Tylar YoungRichmond
I think Oliver played as a 23rd man top up player pre his draft year. Probably the same for some of the others as well.
It’s the equivalent of Sonsie playing a couple of games for Box Hill.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think the only teams without their own “2nds” are st kilda and hawthorn, who are aligned with Sandringham and Box Hill, and Fremantle. Freo may be aligned with someone in the WAFL, not really sure
Freos seconds are Peel Thunder.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Horrific sounding head clash today at training today, if Tylar has escaped with only concussion and not a broken jaw or cheekbone he'll be lucky, it brought Match Play to a premature end.
Sounded like bone to me it was a reel cracking sound but were watching with a fellow PRE-ender and was hoping it was more of a slapping sound.
The ONLY good thing was he eventually got up and walked off the in the company of trainers but unassisted but that still doesn't allay my fears of a break.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Tyrone DownieGCS
Kayle KirbyCollingwood